#61 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hey, Tortorella's Rant;

Post up a picture of yourself. Let's see what you look like.

Easy to have such a big mouth behind the veil of anonymity.

#62 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Because you have a childish understanding. It's not your fault, you're simply ignorant of the unknown.

But, the reason I set out the warning was because childish reaction posts, such as yours, would detract from the issue being put forth, namely, Balpreet's handling of the situation and the affect it had on others.

You completely skipped that part and went for the childish reactionary tact. Did you not have anything more intelligent to respond with other that 'Eww, that's gross'? You leave little doubt thus far. But, as you've admitted to already, you knew you'd get a reaction, and that's what you got....congrats.

Ironically, the guy who reacted similarly as you, and who went on to laugh at her as well, learned much more and grew much more as a person than you seemed to have, by defending your childish response as legitimate. It may be legitimate on the playground, but perhaps not so much in a thread that's trying to celebrate the best of a person regardless of their initial reactions seeking to laugh at another's expense or the physical appearance of another used as the butt of the joke.

Maybe when you grow up one day you'll know what it is i'm speaking to.

:lol:

I think a woman with facial hair is gross therefore I have a child's understanding? You're an idiot. Well, perhaps you think women with facial hair is attractive but I evidently do not. I know bloody well why she does it. And I don't care why she does it. She can do whatever the hell she wants. It also doesn't bother her and she has a better understanding of herself. That's just fantastic! That still doesn't detract from the point that women with facial hair is incredibly unattractive by just about everyone's standards. Certainly in the western world anyway.

If you don't like the simple yet completely valid response from people on a public forum, hit the ignore button, cry baby. But you wont. You obviously enjoy arguing with people. You're here doing it all day long.
Posted Image

#63 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

You don't have to admire her for anything, if you don't want to. Many people, including myself, admire her ability to turn a potentially scarring and embarassing situation into one that showed the strength of her character and the eloquence, courage and dignity in the way she addressed those seeking to ridicule her appearance(not her beliefs per se).

The Post Script amounted simply to an author's perogative to critique the subject he's editorializing. If you'd rather discuss that critique than the physical attributes that started the event or her remarkable handling of that critique, then be my guest.

Consider the age of the poster you're responding to, Sharp. Peruse his previous post history on this board and the answer is very clear. Also the tone and manner of those responses are glaring in their pointing to a poster who is actually more immature than his chronological age would indicate.

Oh no, was that just an opinion, I posted? :shock:

Bravo to Balpreet Kaur for not to sinking to the level of the person who made the original comments. Your thread and the positive message it contains in the first post clearly went over some people's heads.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 26 September 2012 - 03:22 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#64 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

POPULAR

Ageist.

The 'positive message' is a charade to cover up SS's constant antitheistic undertone, which was outlined directly by his post-script. Not sure how that went over your head. Like i said, 'no Sikh? No thread.' But i guess 'no woman? No BB in thread' also applies. ;)

If you guys want to setup a pseudo-mod trap, nobody's biting but Torts anyway. I'm bored. I guess everyone else is too.
Posted Image

#65 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Because you have a childish understanding. It's not your fault, you're simply ignorant of the unknown.

But, the reason I set out the warning was because childish reaction posts, such as yours, would detract from the issue being put forth, namely, Balpreet's handling of the situation and the affect it had on others.

You completely skipped that part and went for the childish reactionary tact. Did you not have anything more intelligent to respond with other that 'Eww, that's gross'? You leave little doubt thus far. But, as you've admitted to already, you knew you'd get a reaction, and that's what you got....congrats.

Ironically, the guy who reacted similarly as you, and who went on to laugh at her as well, learned much more and grew much more as a person than you seemed to have, by defending your childish response as legitimate. It may be legitimate on the playground, but perhaps not so much in a thread that's trying to celebrate the best of a person regardless of their initial reactions seeking to laugh at another's expense or the physical appearance of another used as the butt of the joke.

Maybe when you grow up one day you'll know what it is i'm speaking to.

I think a grown up person would realize that condemning and arguing with people doesn't change anything. This lady is showing love and gratitude to those who oppose her. Perhaps there is a lesson to learn here Sharp.

#66 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

some girls grow a penis and some grow facial hair.. oh well :)

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#67 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

:lol:

I think a woman with facial hair is gross therefore I have a child's understanding? You're an idiot. Well, perhaps you think women with facial hair is attractive but I evidently do not. I know bloody well why she does it. And I don't care why she does it. She can do whatever the hell she wants. It also doesn't bother her and she has a better understanding of herself. That's just fantastic! That still doesn't detract from the point that women with facial hair is incredibly unattractive by just about everyone's standards. Certainly in the western world anyway.

If you don't like the simple yet completely valid response from people on a public forum, hit the ignore button, cry baby. But you wont. You obviously enjoy arguing with people. You're here doing it all day long.

I didn't realize you spoke for nearly everyone and certainly not the entire western world. Even if you did, it makes her response to childish attitude and understanding towards what constitutes 'beauty' and 'attraction', such as yours, all the more remarkable. If you believe that being beautiful is simply conforming to what others tell you is beautiful then you've already conceded that you're too immature to recognize what makes someone beautiful beyond their skin, or their hair, or their features. You're exactly the type of person who doesn't recognize true beauty. Now, that's fine for troglodytes such as yourself, but most grown-ups i would venture to guess have the ability to see past how someone looks on the surface.

Superficiality is a symptom of immaturity. I only pointed out what you seemingly make yourself out to be with your "Eew, Gross" comments. I haven't seen any evidence of your ability to be mature thus far.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#68 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

Layman's terms:

"Ew, gross." = Immature.

"I'm calling this thread out for what it is." /= Immature.
Posted Image

#69 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

- Post Script.....because I think it has to be pointed out. As much as I admire Balpreet, and as much as one human can admire the example of another I do, at the end of the day she reminds me that religious extremists come in many forms and flavours. Not ever cutting any hair off your body because of a covenant made with a supernatural being, who didn't ask you to in the first place, simply demonstrates, that though some religious people may be as sweet as candy and amazing, they're still extremists and fanatics....and the world would be better off with the riddance of all forms of religious extremism...even the benign ones. I hope that as she transcends the hate, we as a species will eventually transcend the grip of fanatical and extreme religiousity.

What one may perceive as extremism, another might perceive as dedication, even simple happiness. We all have our own calling in life, let everyone be as they are, as this lady is doing. If you stop imposing your beliefs on the world around you, you may find that happiness too.

#70 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Ageist.

The 'positive message' is a charade to cover up SS's constant antitheistic undertone, which was outlined directly by his post-script. Not sure how that went over your head. Like i said, 'no Sikh? No thread.' But i guess 'no woman? No BB in thread' also applies. ;)

If you guys want to setup a pseudo-mod trap, nobody's biting but Torts anyway. I'm bored. I guess everyone else is too.

I haven't discussed her religion or her beliefs since my post-script editorial. In fact i've been happily fending of one moronical person after another, and here I am back with you once again. :)

As far as psuedo-mod trap....those who warrant moderation will surely receive it.

I think a grown up person would realize that condemning and arguing with people doesn't change anything. This lady is showing love and gratitude to those who oppose her. Perhaps there is a lesson to learn here Sharp.

Staying silent never changed a thing, and wouldn't have in Balpreet's case either. I unfortunately, unlike her, seem to be dealing with pre-pubescents who don't have the capability of learning with or without condemnation.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#71 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Layman's terms:

"Ew, gross." = Immature.

"I'm calling this thread out for what it is." /= Immature.

Your trolling is very amateurish.

#72 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

What one may perceive as extremism, another might perceive as dedication, even simple happiness. We all have our own calling in life, let everyone be as they are, as this lady is doing. If you stop imposing your beliefs on the world around you, you may find that happiness too.

I admire her for the response, but i'm not blinded by the source of it. I realize full well that religious extremism or extreme adherence to any supernatural covenants come in many forms, but ultimately are restrictive and not conducive to individualism or freedom.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 26 September 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#73 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Calling posters moronic here is not worthy of moderation? Hmmm...

Not if the behaviour as described is accurate. However, please feel free to report me if you're so offended or overly concerned.

#74 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Love the 'post-script editoral' tag, btw. I'll use it whenever i want to express my beliefs, but not waste time backing them up.

P.S. A clear antitheist agenda doesn't go away when you put 'post-script' in front of it. It's your choice to counter that argument now, but i'm not obligated to respond. Thank you.
Posted Image

#75 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Nope.

Critiques of supernatural belief systems and those that believe in those systems are fair game.

Not sure why you have to hide behind a 'post-script editorial' when it's all fair game to you anyway.
Posted Image

#76 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

To those calling Torts immature, I've got a question for you.

Would you be attracted by a woman who had as much facial hair as you?

I understand what she's doing, so I don't need to hear it again.

#77 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

As this isn't the thread topic and was never even remotely the thread topic, perhaps you could start your own thread with this question? With a poll and everything?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 26 September 2012 - 04:33 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#78 Imuzi

Imuzi

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

She can grow a better beard than me :picard:

NaturalHotAfricanporcupine.gif

#79 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

What is she doing exactly, as understood by you?

#80 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Not sure why you have to hide behind a 'post-script editorial' when it's all fair game to you anyway.

Never said it wasn't fair game, now did I??

You don't have to admire her for anything, if you don't want to. Many people, including myself, admire her ability to turn a potentially scarring and embarassing situation into one that showed the strength of her character and the eloquence, courage and dignity in the way she addressed those seeking to ridicule her appearance(not her beliefs per se).

The Post Script amounted simply to an author's perogative to critique the subject he's editorializing. If you'd rather discuss that critique than the physical attributes that started the event or her remarkable handling of that critique, then be my guest.

But, you don't want to debate or discuss, you just want to troll. That's perfectly obvious.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 26 September 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#81 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

I offered my initial thoughts previously but there is a certain condescending element to what she wrote regarding "transcending the values of society". Looks do matter, Sharpshooter you said so yourself in the past, and the strength she has displayed in this instance has likely been forged from past incidents where her facial hair was the point of ridicule. My point is that she keeps the facial hair because of her religious beliefs and then uses the same religious beliefs to remain strong. I don't know if I respect that.

Is religion worth suffering for? This is with the assumption that had she not been a fervent Sikh she might have addressed the issue. People should be comfortable in their own bodies but sometimes pragmatic choices have to be made that acknowledges the immaturity, judgments, etc. that make human beings imperfect. As human beings we need to practice tolerance but if it was me I would not endure a lifetime of ridicule over something so easily addressable, like I'm sure she wouldn't had her religious beliefs not gotten in the way.

#82 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

In our (or most western cultures) it's considered gross. Deal with it.

#83 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

It sounds like she doesnt even care if you laugh at her mustache.

And good for her I guess.

Is it bad to not have facial hair if you are a baptized Sikh woman?

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 26 September 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#84 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

"Gross" is a subjective thing. I have seen a girl go "gross" towards an un-kept hairy guy on hundreds of different occasions before. No one is being racist or prejudice.

At least two of the same people have called Honey Boo Boo and her family "gross" in another thread (which she is). No one went up in arms about that!

People of the same background of as this women are trying to make this a race issue. It's not. Nor is it ignorant. It's like someone of Indian orientation saying Honey Boo Boo is gross(once again like to state she is) and me crying up in arms about how you are being prejudice against all white people.

#85 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Never said it wasn't fair game, now did I??

But, you don't want to debate or discuss, you just want to troll. That's perfectly obvious.

Tried to discuss. Response was about sunlight. Seems obvious that you're trolling your own thread.

P.S. It might be Animated gif or memegenerator time.
Posted Image

#86 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Tried to discuss. Response was about sunlight. Seems obvious that you're trolling your own thread.

P.S. It might be Animated gif or memegenerator time.

Your inability to comprehend my response rests on your own shoulders.

#87 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

I do support her standing up for what she believes, btw. That's her choice. We live in Canada, where freedom of religion is a basic right. Persecuting her isn't tolerable here.

It being a requirement, however? Not sure if i agree with that. But whatever. I have an understanding that freedom of religion has pros, cons and a lot of meaningless conflict and debate.

In the great scheme of things, who cares? It's obvious that she doesn't care what you or i think.
Posted Image

#88 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Your inability to comprehend my response rests on your own shoulders.

This line of discussion has bored me. Let's continue with my new post above.
Posted Image

#89 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I admire her for the response, but i'm not blinded by the source of it. I realize full well that religious extremism or extreme adherence to any supernatural covenants come in many forms, but ultimately are restrictive and not conducive to individualism or freedom.

Which supernatural covenants banish a human from being happy with her body the way nature intended it? You wish not to grant her the freedom to choose whether she wants to keep it or not? You preach anti-extremism, yet seem like the most extreme anti-religious person on this board. Anyways, good luck with the crusade against religion. Just remember, resistance is always met with resistance, and if it's peace you want, I'd follow this lady's actions and offer your 'religious enemies' the freedom to live as they choose.

Edited by hsedin33, 26 September 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#90 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Which supernatural covenants banish a human from being happy with her body the way nature intended it? You wish not to grant her the freedom to choose whether she wants to keep it or not? You preach anti-extremism, yet seem like the most extreme anti-religious person on this board. Anyways, good luck with the crusade against religion. Just remember, resistance is always met with resistance.

He doesn't want to prevent people from doing what they want to their bodies. He wants to prevent people from believing superstitious nonsense.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.