248 replies to this topic

#91 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Just my 2 cent. I have nothing ainst her decision. That being said. as girls are natually attracted to guys who are well groomed, it is quite disgusting to see a girl have facial her like that. Just my opponion. No intentions to harm. Just like girls prefer men who are well groomed, the same for a guy. What she is doing is just nasty.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#92 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,778 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Inoculation theory: The more you are attacked, the better your defenses will become.

It's silly to assume that lifelong belief in 'silly superstition' ie. religion can be affected by some message board person. If it didn't work for her in this case, in which she was ridiculed by many via the internet, then what possible effect would a personal antitheist crusade have on the religious masses?

Nevermind, this was all about seeing that she is a great person for standing up to intolerance anyway.
Posted Image

#93 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Which supernatural covenants banish a human from being happy with her body the way nature intended it? You wish not to grant her the freedom to choose whether she wants to keep it or not? You preach anti-extremism, yet seem like the most extreme anti-religious person on this board. Anyways, good luck with the crusade against religion. Just remember, resistance is always met with resistance.

I never said any covenant banishes any human from happiness. Not sure how one would be banished per se. If you're asking which covenant with the supernatural represses an individual from their inherent freedoms as an individual, based on the prescriptions of the doctrines of those covenants however, I could cite the freedom to make decisions over one's own body in the case of health care, by various religions, including Sikhism, in the context of access to reproductive choices/decisions, decisions on freedom to choose attire, who one chooses to love and marry, genital mutilation in some religious traditions, and many others that repress individualistic determination and the freedom to do so. Happiness is also derived from freedom. Religions, as it can be argued, represses many freedoms.

I have not advocated the repression of her freedom to believe as she will, however, i've pointedly directed my critiques to the freedom to practice extremist religiousity as a hinderance to freedom, which as I've shown above is obvious to all who aren't shackled by covenants to traditions and acts in accordance with one's covenant to a particular ideology based on superstitions or the supernatural.

I don't preach anti-extremism, I simply note that religions are inherent breeding ground for extremist beliefs and behaviour, such as growing one's hair and never cutting it, solely because it's prescribed as an act of religious zealotry. If there was a supernatural being out there, would they really care or judge you based on whether or not you were unshorn or not? If so, how petty of a category to base one's judgement of their creation on. By that i mean, isn't adherence to being a remarkable person of good character insufficient to be judged as worthy? Does never cutting one's hair give you that much more worthiness? Or not eating pork products? Or not working on Sundays, or not swearing allegiance to supernaturality? Or the many other prescription people impose on themselves and others?

Resistance to freedom is always met with resistance by those who seek to control you.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#94 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Just my 2 cent. I have nothing ainst her decision. That being said. as girls are natually attracted to guys who are well groomed, it is quite disgusting to see a girl have facial her like that. Just my opponion. No intentions to harm. Just like girls prefer men who are well groomed, the same for a guy. What she is doing is just nasty.

Wow..why don't you just tar and feather her and be done with it? It's this type of attitude that is responsible for much of the bigotry and intolerance in the world. How does her facial hair affect you in any way? Really, does it affect how you conduct yourself throughout the day? Does it change how you conduct your daily business? While you're entitled to your opinion (no matter how immature, ignorant and downright ridiculous it may be), calling this woman's choice to retain a physical trait as 'nasty' only betrays a level of ignorance.

I am reminded once again of how far society still needs to go in order to be inclusive for everyone.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 26 September 2012 - 06:29 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#95 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Inoculation theory: The more you are attacked, the better your defenses will become.

It's silly to assume that lifelong belief in 'silly superstition' ie. religion can be affected by some message board person. If it didn't work for her in this case, in which she was ridiculed by many via the internet, then what possible effect would a personal antitheist crusade have on the religious masses?

Nevermind, this was all about seeing that she is a great person for standing up to intolerance anyway.

The methodology of message transmission may change over the course of time, but the message doesn't lose strength anymore than it did when our species passed on information verbally to the written form and via electronic methods. It simply conforms to the standard of the times in its ability to reach a greater number of people. If the message reaches one person, great, if none, then that's acceptable as well. Messages on this board are accepted or rejected all the time. If my observations or input is either accepted or rejected, then i'm ok with either. Had it not been for reading and educating myself in part by discussions over the years on various message boards, i may not have learned as much as I have by others. You can poo-poo that if you like, you're quite free to do so.

And yeah, this thread was and is still about how remarkable the young woman was in standing up to those that would seek to troll her via message boards. An example and inspiration for all, in my opinion.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#96 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

I am reminded once again of how far society still needs to go in order to be inclusive for everyone.

Society will never be inclusive to everyone. New lines will be drawn all the time if old bigotry dies out.

#97 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Society will never be inclusive to everyone. New lines will be drawn all the time if old bigotry dies out.

'Out with the old and in with the new' would at least be progress. ;)

#98 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'd like to compare this situation in the OP to some of the world's current events.

This woman could have been legitimately offended as her personal self was ridiculed in regard to her religious beliefs and custom. She responded with dignity and grace and was rewarded with a heartfelt apology.

Yet, at the same time we see world wide pandemonium, not when individuals are being ridiculed, but when a historical figure is being ridiculed. We don't see reasoned responses from any corner. What we see are two things. From extremists, mayhem and threats, and from moderates we get condemnation and criticism against free expression. Free expression that does not target a single living human, but only a historical and political figurehead that lived nearly a thousand years ago. The thing that amazes me is that regardless of the level of anger for each individual and how they react outwardly, I'm finding whereever I look the comments are incredibly nearly all on point with very little wavering of opinion. The response is thundering and consistent. And to me, frankly, it is disturbing.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#99 sNApple

sNApple

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

groce

#100 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

groce

...said the high priest of the Illiterati

#101 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

I never said any covenant banishes any human from happiness. Not sure how one would be banished per se. If you're asking which covenant with the supernatural represses an individual from their inherent freedoms as an individual, based on the prescriptions of the doctrines of those covenants however, I could cite the freedom to make decisions over one's own body in the case of health care, by various religions, including Sikhism, in the context of access to reproductive choices/decisions, decisions on freedom to choose attire, who one chooses to love and marry, genital mutilation in some religious traditions, and many others that repress individualistic determination and the freedom to do so. Happiness is also derived from freedom. Religions, as it can be argued, represses many freedoms.

I have not advocated the repression of her freedom to believe as she will, however, i've pointedly directed my critiques to the freedom to practice extremist religiousity as a hinderance to freedom, which as I've shown above is obvious to all who aren't shackled by covenants to traditions and acts in accordance with one's covenant to a particular ideology based on superstitions or the supernatural.

I don't preach anti-extremism, I simply note that religions are inherent breeding ground for extremist beliefs and behaviour, such as growing one's hair and never cutting it, solely because it's prescribed as an act of religious zealotry. If there was a supernatural being out there, would they really care or judge you based on whether or not you were unshorn or not? If so, how petty of a category to base one's judgement of their creation on. By that i mean, isn't adherence to being a remarkable person of good character insufficient to be judged as worthy? Does never cutting one's hair give you that much more worthiness? Or not eating pork products? Or not working on Sundays, or not swearing allegiance to supernaturality? Or the many other prescription people impose on themselves and others?

Resistance to freedom is always met with resistance by those who seek to control you.

I'm not sure if you were able to quite grasp what the lady was getting at in her letter she wrote. This lady is free. Traditionally in many of these religions, freedom is defined as not what you're free to, but what your free from. In her letter she describes being free from ego, which means being free from your mind's chatter, ie being free from beliefs and philosophies; not believing in what society (ultimately your mind) says what you should do in order to be happy, in this case, shaving her hair. It's not that she believes that it will bring her happiness, she has simply lost the thought that the hair has the ability to make her happy or unhappy, and that is real happiness.

Ultimately, happiness only occurs when you have momentary lapses of thought, when you forget about yourself (say like when you're watching a movie), or you've finally stopped putting happiness it in the future (like when you finally get that big TV you want), or when someone agrees with you in an argument and for a moment you stop mentally pushing against them. Happiness is your natural state, its the chattering mind that pushes against life that makes us unhappy. So yes, freedom is what brings happiness, but only freedom from your thoughts (in many religions its called the egoic self). There is nothing supernatural about this, anyone can investigate this for themselves.

There is no doubt that there is a lot of non sense going on in the world regarding religion. Religion is a persons way of coping with death, which is usually attributed to a great amount of fear. If you take away their coping mechanism, prepare to deal with what that fear brings. So next time you belittle someones religion, remember, you are toying with what could be their deepest fear. People who go to extremes in religion, do so only because they are trying desperately to convince themselves that what they believe is true. When someone is trying to convince you of their religion, really they are trying to convince themselves. There is no need to resist any of this, what people need is compassion and to be understood, angrily fighting someones belief structure only shows that oneself is also in the same boat. My advice to you friend, let people find god in their own way and be happy for them, you will be a much happier person, and in that happiness, you will find a much healthier way to contribute to the world.

Edited by hsedin33, 27 September 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#102 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

Interesting read, with a nice ending.

Inspiring to read stories of good things instead of all the bad crap in the news all the time.

RIP LB RR PD

#103 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I'd like to compare this situation in the OP to some of the world's current events.

This woman could have been legitimately offended as her personal self was ridiculed in regard to her religious beliefs and custom. She responded with dignity and grace and was rewarded with a heartfelt apology.

Yet, at the same time we see world wide pandemonium, not when individuals are being ridiculed, but when a historical figure is being ridiculed. We don't see reasoned responses from any corner. What we see are two things. From extremists, mayhem and threats, and from moderates we get condemnation and criticism against free expression. Free expression that does not target a single living human, but only a historical and political figurehead that lived nearly a thousand years ago. The thing that amazes me is that regardless of the level of anger for each individual and how they react outwardly, I'm finding whereever I look the comments are incredibly nearly all on point with very little wavering of opinion. The response is thundering and consistent. And to me, frankly, it is disturbing.

You mean moderate as in Muslims?

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 27 September 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#104 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

I am posting in this thread.

P.S. Sharp, you should actually entertain MapleLaughs' opinion before you start typing. Blanket generalizations =/= arguments based on observation. Antitheism is repressive of your freedom to live and let live because you have to uphold that image the ultra-rational, uber-critical, perfectly logical, cold and calculated voice of reason. That image is the God of those who dedicate so much energy to renouncing each and every belief system that is deemed invalid by their criteria. I am relatively Atheist. You are relatively making a fool of yourself. Fighting "fairy tales," as you say, with material logic is like fighting dust with your fists (pointless and foolish; the key part of that being the "fighting" part).

Posted Image

#105 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

I remember when this thread was about someone standing up for themselves and wasn't a post your preference in women thread.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#106 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

I remember when this thread was about someone standing up for themselves and wasn't a post your preference in women thread.

+1

"Wouldn't have sex with it? Must not be worth anything to me." :picard:

#107 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

I have never understood why some people care so much about what others do or don't do. If its not hurting you (or anyone, really), then mind your own damn business and move on with your life.

I feel the same way about people who are so anti gaymarriage (and so many other things). Just ignore. Its not affecting your life. Move on.

#108 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

Wow..why don't you just tar and feather her and be done with it? It's this type of attitude that is responsible for much of the bigotry and intolerance in the world. How does her facial hair affect you in any way? Really, does it affect how you conduct yourself throughout the day? Does it change how you conduct your daily business? While you're entitled to your opinion (no matter how immature, ignorant and downright ridiculous it may be), calling this woman's choice to retain a physical trait as 'nasty' only betrays a level of ignorance.

You have to get off your high horse. There are a lot of things that don't affect you're daily business, but you're still against them.

There are a lot of things, which you would consider nasty. You would be disgusted by a person performing certain bodily functions outdoors, and a person picking their nose in front of you may disgust you.

Women with hairy faces, armpits, or legs are perceived the same way by some guys.

Society, by definition, cannot be inclusive of everyone. Society serves to promote certain norms, and ostracize or punish those who don't conform. That is the key part of a social structure.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#109 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

You have to get off your high horse. There are a lot of things that don't affect you're daily business, but you're still against them.

There are a lot of things, which you would consider nasty. You would be disgusted by a person performing certain bodily functions outdoors, and a person picking their nose in front of you may disgust you.

Women with hairy faces, armpits, or legs are perceived the same way by some guys.

Society, by definition, cannot be inclusive of everyone. Society serves to promote certain norms, and ostracize or punish those who don't conform. That is the key part of a social structure.

:lol: Oh man....... I don't even know where to begin with this. :lol:

What didn't go over your head in my post (miniscule amount) obviously didn't penetrate your cranium, either.

And please don't put words in my mouth,........unless, of course, you're using a generalized 'you/you're/your'. But you know what they say about generalizations, right?

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#110 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Exactly my point - today it might be one group, tomorrow it might another....I don't necessarily agree that new prejudices will be better than our old ones like someone else previously said, only that it will always change. Smoking used to be "cool" and now everyone likes to bash those who are addicted when given an opportunity rather than educate them about the effects of their addiction and try to help them.

Edited by hockeyfan87, 27 September 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#111 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,099 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Exactly my point - today it might be one group, tomorrow it might another....I don't necessarily agree that new prejudices will be better than our old ones like someone else previously said, only that it will always change. Smoking used to be "cool" and now everyone likes to bash those who are addicted when given an opportunity rather than educate them about the effects of their addiction and try to help them.

I'll give you the "help them"...maybe...

But do you honestly think that people continue to smoke due to a lack of information on the health concerns? :blink:

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#112 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Many people generally like to feel elitist about something. Especially when they don't have to really work for it. Elitist because they were born a skin colour or of a country or lifestyle for some examples.

Edited by TimberWolf, 27 September 2012 - 09:38 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#113 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Smoking used to be "cool" and now everyone likes to bash those who are addicted when given an opportunity rather than educate them about the effects of their addiction and try to help them.

Did you just compare racism with smoking?

Someone who doesn't like someone because of what they do is very different from someone who doesn't like someone because of the colour of their skin.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#114 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'm not sure if you were able to quite grasp what the lady was getting at in her letter she wrote. This lady is free. Traditionally in many of these religions, freedom is defined as not what you're free to, but what your free from. In her letter she describes being free from ego, which means being free from your mind's chatter, ie being free from beliefs and philosophies; not believing in what society (ultimately your mind) says what you should do in order to be happy, in this case, shaving her hair. It's not that she believes that it will bring her happiness, she has simply lost the thought that the hair has the ability to make her happy or unhappy, and that is real happiness.

Ultimately, happiness only occurs when you have momentary lapses of thought, when you forget about yourself (say like when you're watching a movie), or you've finally stopped putting happiness it in the future (like when you finally get that big TV you want), or when someone agrees with you in an argument and for a moment you stop mentally pushing against them. Happiness is your natural state, its the chattering mind that pushes against life that makes us unhappy. So yes, freedom is what brings happiness, but only freedom from your thoughts (in many religions its called the egoic self). There is nothing supernatural about this, anyone can investigate this for themselves.

There is no doubt that there is a lot of non sense going on in the world regarding religion. Religion is a persons way of coping with death, which is usually attributed to a great amount of fear. If you take away their coping mechanism, prepare to deal with what that fear brings. So next time you belittle someones religion, remember, you are toying with what could be their deepest fear. People who go to extremes in religion, do so only because they are trying desperately to convince themselves that what they believe is true. When someone is trying to convince you of their religion, really they are trying to convince themselves. There is no need to resist any of this, what people need is compassion and to be understood, angrily fighting someones belief structure only shows that oneself is also in the same boat. My advice to you friend, let people find god in their own way and be happy for them, you will be a much happier person, and in that happiness, you will find a much healthier way to contribute to the world.

I don't think you quite grasped what I meant by covenant with the supernatural and its obvious departure from freedom. The freedom you're espousing that the young girl 'is free', isn't what I'd call freedom. And the reason I don't believe it to be freedom is because she's entered into a religious contract which literally and figuratively restricts her, and these restrictions don't come from a divine source, they come from a man, who didn't receive any stone tablets, or messages from burning bushes or any of that other malarkey, but made up these restrictions at a time when he was the commander of an armed minority rebellion against oppression at the hands of an invading force that ordered people to convert and submit to their religion. And on a sidenote, not much has changed with Islam in certain places of the world today in that regard.

I admire the Sikhs, their origin story, what they preach, and how the real followers of that religion carry and conduct themselves. This young lady is a good example of what Sikhs strive to be, in their own skin and among the broader community. I appreciate the 'freedom' that you speak of as well. I get that Sikhs are seeking a transcending freedom from the Id, Ego and SuperEgo, as many other tenets of eastern based religions and mysticisms put forth. The point I was raising was that even though they may be seeking psycho-spiritual freedom, they are doing so by placing restrictions on themselves through covenants that are man-made and so ordered. These covenants that they enter into by baptism is an ironic form of arresting one's development of their natural state of being. Freedom to shear one's hair must be available in order to be truly free. Freedom to make individualistic decisions over one's body must be allowed in order to portray someone as truly being free. Simply dismissing these tangible and superficial freedoms by suggesting that by shackling oneself with nonsensical and often hypocritical restrictions is avoidance of issues related to one's material form, which allows restrictions, may they be cultural or religious ones, to then come in and fill the void in order to install restrictive tenet based mandates on people.

The unshorn hair thing, while beautiful in its genesis of thought and origin, is an example of nonsensical restrictions on the freedom of a person that presumes that without the constant reminder that you were created by a creator you would cut your hair and thus be less than pious, or forget that you were made perfectly as you are. That's all nonsense, since we know that we are not created perfect, there are defects in our body that have to be cut away, or have things added to make us healthy and as you alluded to 'happy'. In fact the unshorn hair thing has, ironically, as much to do with the superficial and cosmetic as it's restriction forbids one from cutting as a way to eliminate ego, because when the 10th Guru(teacher) installed that rule by baptism of his followers, it was done so in order to separate those that followed him and his religious tenets from the Muslim(Mughal) oppressors and converters. The very rule itself was established so that a Sikh could identify themselves separately from others, and so that the enemy would also know that this man was a Sikh and would not submit, now that he's sworn allegiance elsewhere. Even today, a Sikh will not give you his turban willingly as it's a symbol of his religious devotion, and he/she wears it like a spiritual crown.

There are many aspects of Sikhism that I admire and believe to be very wise. It may be due to its relative young age among the other major religions of the world. It certainly has to do with his insistence of equality between genders, between rich and poor, all social status's and stratifications. It's a very socialistic religion, and very community and service to the larger community centric....but at the end of the day it's a religion, and it has the trappings and pitfalls and restrictions and shackles of religions...especially aspects of Hinduism and Islam(the founding fathers or Gurus cane from both apparently). This religion and all religions like it, restrict humans....and therefore regardless of how noble it attempts to be, there is an inherent suppression of freedom built in. I don't know how to better explain it than that. Perhaps if you think about it a bit more deeply, you may see where i'm coming from as much as I see where the Sikhs and their tenets are coming from after studying it over the years.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 27 September 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#115 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

What is she doing exactly, as understood by you?

Does it matter how I interpret it? You're going to say I'm incorrect anyways, as you've been doing so with others.

#116 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Does it matter how I interpret it? You're going to say I'm incorrect anyways, as you've been doing so with others.

If you're not able to defend your position then it must have been a weak one to begin with.

#117 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

If you're not able to defend your position then it must have been a weak one to begin with.

Oh, I'd be willing to defend it, trust me. It's just not worth it with you, you hear what you don't like, and start throwing insults at others. I know it's okay, it's what you do.

#118 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Oh, I'd be willing to defend it, trust me. It's just not worth it with you, you hear what you don't like, and start throwing insults at others. I know it's okay, it's what you do.

Should you engage me civilly, you will be engaged reciprocally with as much civility. Quid Pro Quo, Clarice.

#119 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'll give you the "help them"...maybe...

But do you honestly think that people continue to smoke due to a lack of information on the health concerns? :blink:

Definitely not. I was just trying to encourage the idea that we should try to be more tolerant and respectful in how we convey our dislike for other people's behaviour, choices, lifestyle. I once had a friend during university that saw one of our professor's smoking before class in the morning remark "I thought she was intelligent". Tobacco is one of the most addicting substances available and it's not just a simple choice of quitting once you're hooked. I definitely think the increasing awareness of the effects of smoking tobacco is related to the decreasing numbers of people who smoke, at least among youth.

Many people generally like to feel elitist about something. Especially when they don't have to really work for it. Elitist because they were born a skin colour or of a country or lifestyle for some examples.

Yes, that was my point. I was addressing an idealist comment that society has to go a long way to being inclusive to everyone. This simply won't happen because of human nature and the structure of society.

Did you just compare racism with smoking?

Someone who doesn't like someone because of what they do is very different from someone who doesn't like someone because of the colour of their skin.

I didn't use the words race at all in what I said. I find it frustrating, and to some degree offensive, that you automatically assume that I'm comparing prejudices against race with a prejudice against tobacco users. You're obviously hyper sensitive to the issue at hand. I brought up addiction to tobacco as an example of how societal views on what is normal can change in address to comments made previously which were saying that society still has a long way to go before being inclusive to everyone.

#120 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

The only thing dumber than a woman having facial hair, is having facial hair because of "her faith"

Edited by Lockhart, 27 September 2012 - 10:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.