The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sikh Woman Defends Facial Hair After Photo Goes Viral

Sharpshooter

I offered my initial thoughts previously but there is a certain condescending element to what she wrote regarding "transcending the values of society". Looks do matter, Sharpshooter you said so yourself in the past, and the strength she has displayed in this instance has likely been forged from past incidents where her facial hair was the point of ridicule. My point is that she keeps the facial hair because of her religious beliefs and then uses the same religious beliefs to remain strong. I don't know if I respect that.

Is religion worth suffering for? This is with the assumption that had she not been a fervent Sikh she might have addressed the issue. People should be comfortable in their own bodies but sometimes pragmatic choices have to be made that acknowledges the immaturity, judgments, etc. that make human beings imperfect. As human beings we need to practice tolerance but if it was me I would not endure a lifetime of ridicule over something so easily addressable, like I'm sure she wouldn't had her religious beliefs not gotten in the way.

"Gross" is a subjective thing. I have seen a girl go "gross" towards an un-kept hairy guy on hundreds of different occasions before. No one is being racist or prejudice.

At least two of the same people have called Honey Boo Boo and her family "gross" in another thread (which she is). No one went up in arms about that!

People of the same background of as this women are trying to make this a race issue. It's not. Nor is it ignorant. It's like someone of Indian orientation saying Honey Boo Boo is gross(once again like to state she is) and me crying up in arms about how you are being prejudice against all white people.

I do support her standing up for what she believes, btw. That's her choice. We live in Canada, where freedom of religion is a basic right. Persecuting her isn't tolerable here.

It being a requirement, however? Not sure if i agree with that. But whatever. I have an understanding that freedom of religion has pros, cons and a lot of meaningless conflict and debate.

In the great scheme of things, who cares? It's obvious that she doesn't care what you or i think.

I admire her for the response, but i'm not blinded by the source of it. I realize full well that religious extremism or extreme adherence to any supernatural covenants come in many forms, but ultimately are restrictive and not conducive to individualism or freedom.

Which supernatural covenants banish a human from being happy with her body the way nature intended it? You wish not to grant her the freedom to choose whether she wants to keep it or not? You preach anti-extremism, yet seem like the most extreme anti-religious person on this board. Anyways, good luck with the crusade against religion. Just remember, resistance is always met with resistance.

Just my 2 cent. I have nothing ainst her decision. That being said. as girls are natually attracted to guys who are well groomed, it is quite disgusting to see a girl have facial her like that. Just my opponion. No intentions to harm. Just like girls prefer men who are well groomed, the same for a guy. What she is doing is just nasty.

Inoculation theory: The more you are attacked, the better your defenses will become.

It's silly to assume that lifelong belief in 'silly superstition' ie. religion can be affected by some message board person. If it didn't work for her in this case, in which she was ridiculed by many via the internet, then what possible effect would a personal antitheist crusade have on the religious masses?

Nevermind, this was all about seeing that she is a great person for standing up to intolerance anyway.

Which supernatural covenants banish a human from being happy with her body the way nature intended it? You wish not to grant her the freedom to choose whether she wants to keep it or not? You preach anti-extremism, yet seem like the most extreme anti-religious person on this board. Anyways, good luck with the crusade against religion. Just remember, resistance is always met with resistance.

Just my 2 cent. I have nothing ainst her decision. That being said. as girls are natually attracted to guys who are well groomed, it is quite disgusting to see a girl have facial her like that. Just my opponion. No intentions to harm. Just like girls prefer men who are well groomed, the same for a guy. What she is doing is just nasty.

Inoculation theory: The more you are attacked, the better your defenses will become.

It's silly to assume that lifelong belief in 'silly superstition' ie. religion can be affected by some message board person. If it didn't work for her in this case, in which she was ridiculed by many via the internet, then what possible effect would a personal antitheist crusade have on the religious masses?

Nevermind, this was all about seeing that she is a great person for standing up to intolerance anyway.

I'd like to compare this situation in the OP to some of the world's current events.

This woman could have been legitimately offended as her personal self was ridiculed in regard to her religious beliefs and custom. She responded with dignity and grace and was rewarded with a heartfelt apology.

Yet, at the same time we see world wide pandemonium, not when individuals are being ridiculed, but when a historical figure is being ridiculed. We don't see reasoned responses from any corner. What we see are two things. From extremists, mayhem and threats, and from moderates we get condemnation and criticism against free expression. Free expression that does not target a single living human, but only a historical and political figurehead that lived nearly a thousand years ago. The thing that amazes me is that regardless of the level of anger for each individual and how they react outwardly, I'm finding whereever I look the comments are incredibly nearly all on point with very little wavering of opinion. The response is thundering and consistent. And to me, frankly, it is disturbing.

Archived