The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sikh Woman Defends Facial Hair After Photo Goes Viral

Sharpshooter

Overtime, society changes the way it views things.. that's all I'm saying, perhaps it'll be sexy for women to grow their hair out, who knows.

By the way, you didn't answer my original question on whether you choose to grow your hair out or treat it. But you chose to respond to the rest of my post.

A person is born with 2 extra fingers on their hand and surgery is available to remove the extra digits. This person CHOOSES – for whatever reason - not to have the surgery because that’s how they were born. OMG, " What she is doing is just nasty". People pointing and staring thinking they’re nasty because they made a choice not to change themselves to be aesthetically pleasing to societal ‘norms’.

A person is born missing their leg below the thigh and the stump is horribly misshapen. Prosthetic limbs are available but the person CHOOSES - for whatever reason - not to use one or have surgery to correct the shape of the stump because that’s how they were born. OMG, "What she is doing is just nasty". People pointing and staring thinking they’re nasty because they made a choice not to change themselves to be aesthetically pleasing to societal ‘norms’.

A person is born with a massive port wine birthmark down the side of their face and treatment is available to lighten or remove the birthmark. This person CHOOSES – for whatever reason - not to have the treatment because that’s how they were born. OMG, "What she is doing is just nasty". People pointing and staring thinking they’re nasty because they made a choice not to change themselves to be aesthetically pleasing to societal ‘norms’.

A person is born with a condition that causes them excessive hair growth . Treatment is available to curb the hair growth , electrolysis is available to remove what is already there. They CHOOSE - for whatever reason - not to have treatment for the condition because they were born that way. OMG, "What she is doing is just nasty". People pointing and staring thinking they’re nasty because they made a choice not to change themselves to be aesthetically pleasing to societal ‘norms’.

Balpreet Kaur did not have a choice in having the condition she has which causes excessive hair growth. Instead of bowing to the stunted and immature opinions of people who it seems have nothing better to do than ridicule her and call her decision to accept her body the way it is nasty, she has embraced who she is , flying strong and confident in the face of immature boys and men who seem to think this affects their life in some way. Perhaps these immature and ignorant individuals should consider what they would do if it were their sister, wife, mother or daughter with this condition. And respect their possible choice not to have treatment in order to please an aesthetic that some in society have that their appearance isn’t acceptable. It’s just ‘nasty’, right?

Lol You are intentionally trying to provoke an emotional response from people by using a birth defect or serious injury example regarding loss of a limb to further your argument....I love it when people do it, because it often shows they have no other way to trying to get their point across. I don't mean to offend you, but that is a pathetic way to argue.

Hair is not a birth defect; excessive hair is but that's not what we're dealing with (I'm talking about people completely covered in hair). Every woman has hair on her legs and armpits (in fact nearly all parts of body except lips, nipples etc); some have a little extra on faces as well (again, different from being excessively hairy). Societal norm is shaving that hair, which I'm assuming you do as well. Another societal norm is having a bath so you don't stink, but body odour is as natural as body hair so i'm sure a person who doesn't would not be considered a champion to some sort of a cause. Nail growth is natural but for sanitary purposes and otherwise, we cut nails, so I guess I'm being immature if I expect people to do that as well. My two examples, however, serve a practical function as well....

Admittedly, hair on women's faces/legs is somewhat of an arbitrary societal norm, but so is finding the word "f*ck" offensive (considering what it actually refers to), and finding a terrible word like "torture" relatively innocuous. Think about what those words mean and imply, and which ought to be considered more offensive.

Now we seem to have fallen into tangent on societal norms and how they relate to racism, but those arguments are besides the point. Yes societal norms change over time, but that does not relate to the situation at hand. Current societal norms, at least in the western world, frown upon racism as well as excessive hair on a woman's body.

Back to my original point, would you be disgusted by a man picking his nose, even though he is doing no harm to you or affecting your life in any way? My guess is yes, because like me (and most people who aren't sociopaths), you have been indoctrinated into our societal norms, and perceive that to be an absolutely disgusting activity.

*If you want to respond, please take the time to read my argument as a whole, and not take things out of context. I take the time to read what other people say as a whole before I respond, and I'd appreciate it if you did as well.

Lol You are intentionally trying to provoke an emotional response from people by using a birth defect or serious injury example regarding loss of a limb to further your argument....I love it when people do it, because it often shows they have no other way to trying to get their point across. I don't mean to offend you, but that is a pathetic way to argue.

Hair is not a birth defect; excessive hair is but that's not what we're dealing with (I'm talking about people completely covered in hair). Every woman has hair on her legs and armpits (in fact nearly all parts of body except lips, nipples etc); some have a little extra on faces as well (again, different from being excessively hairy). Societal norm is shaving that hair, which I'm assuming you do as well. Another societal norm is having a bath so you don't stink, but body odour is as natural as body hair so i'm sure a person who doesn't would not be considered a champion to some sort of a cause. Nail growth is natural but for sanitary purposes and otherwise, we cut nails, so I guess I'm being immature if I expect people to do that as well. My two examples, however, serve a practical function as well....

Admittedly, hair on women's faces/legs is somewhat of an arbitrary societal norm, but so is finding the word "f*ck" offensive (considering what it actually refers to), and finding a terrible word like "torture" relatively innocuous. Think about what those words mean and imply, and which ought to be considered more offensive.

Now we seem to have fallen into tangent on societal norms and how they relate to racism, but those arguments are besides the point. Yes societal norms change over time, but that does not relate to the situation at hand. Current societal norms, at least in the western world, frown upon racism as well as excessive hair on a woman's body.

Back to my original point, would you be disgusted by a man picking his nose, even though he is doing no harm to you or affecting your life in any way? My guess is yes, because like me (and most people who aren't sociopaths), you have been indoctrinated into our societal norms, and perceive that to be an absolutely disgusting activity.

*If you want to respond, please take the time to read my argument as a whole, and not take things out of context. I take the time to read what other people say as a whole before I respond, and I'd appreciate it if you did as well.

But some people have time for a drive-by shot. How very, very, very intellectual. The usual passive/aggressive BS, no surprise there.

So you expect me to type up essays in the middle of class? I've just been browsing on here.

Seems as if you guys have all the time in the world..

But some people have time for a drive-by shot. How very, very, very intellectual.

Perhaps concentrating on classes would help you learn the ability to put your own thoughts into a response instead of borrowing the words and opinions of others? Just asking.

Archived