248 replies to this topic

#211 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm impressed. She must be pretty secure with herself to be able to do that. Good for her to care more about her beliefs than what other people think.

rsz_avs.jpg

#212 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

Wow. If I was that woman, I would be so incredibly angry and embarassed. She handled the situation with such incredible tact and turned it to such a positive situation. Good on her. She changed people's views and made the world just that much better.
Posted Image

#213 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Wow. If I was that woman, I would be so incredibly angry and embarassed. She handled the situation with such incredible tact and turned it to such a positive situation. Good on her. She changed people's views and made the world just that much better.

You nailed it EBW.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#214 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Imo she's unattractive (who gives a crap).

That said it's nice to see how she turned it around with such grace, making it snowball into something bigger than the initial wave of ridicule.

#215 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

My god this thread is full of sensitive whiners. How much friggin time do some of you have to sit here and argue for pages and pages??

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#216 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

My god this thread is full of sensitive whiners. How much friggin time do some of you have to sit here and argue for pages and pages??

http://xkcd.com/386/

#217 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

It's being reported that she has joined the local Ohio circus since they were in need of a bearded lady for the freak show.

It's been reported you not only look like a clown, but would make the perfect substitute for the circus with your foolish comments.

I agree with the above poster this thread has been going on more than needed but with clowns like Mr. Rant you have to talk some sense into them.

#218 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

It's being reported

:rolleyes:

Failed to read the OP I see..........
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#219 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

It's being reported that she has joined the local Ohio circus since they were in need of a bearded lady for the freak show.

Warning - Nasty or prepubescent jokes or comments will be reported to the moderators as attempts to provoke and incite.

Please do not post in this thread if you're not grown up enough to not snicker or make fun of the subject of this thread. Thank you.

http://forum.canucks...oto-goes-viral/

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#220 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Those of you taking pot shots at her miss the entire point of this thread/her response.

We get it, she is unattractive by some standards but the beauty in her is that hers isn't a shallow thinking and looks beyond the outer presentation to something much more meaningful - what the person is all about on the inside. And if we all adopted this thinking and cared little about appearance and focused more on the important stuff, it would make the world a better place.

To continue to make jokes after someone's obvious, sincere attempt to address the issue in a profound manner just makes you look small(er). Keep that in mind....(and on topic please - last warning before official ones are doled out).

Posted Image

#221 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

POPULAR

It was a great read OP until you added your anti-religion post script... Its fairly obvious that without her faith she wouldn't have been able to react the way she did. Next time don't ruin a good post with your anti religious jargon and just let it be.

**awaits for the jargon filled comeback :rolleyes: **
Posted Image

#222 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

It was a great read OP until you added your anti-religion post script... Its fairly obvious that without her faith she wouldn't have been able to react the way she did. Next time don't ruin a good post with your anti religious jargon and just let it be.

**awaits for the jargon filled comeback :rolleyes: **

Religion is fair game. It was part of the reasoning of why she said what she said, and so it was fair to critique it, as I did. I was pretty respectful in my critique though....by my usual standards.

And as far as addressing your request for non-jargon, I hope the words I used are simple enough for even you to understand, though I may have overdone it with words such as "reasoning", "critique", and "is". Sorry bout that.

#223 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

POPULAR

Religion is fair game. It was part of the reasoning of why she said what she said, and so it was fair to critique it, as I did. I was pretty respectful in my critique though....by my usual standards.

And as far as addressing your request for non-jargon, I hope the words I used are simple enough for even you to understand, though I may have overdone it with words such as "reasoning", "critique", and "is". Sorry bout that.

Says he is respectful as by his usual standards--Proceeds to attempt to belittle a person.
Posted Image

#224 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

Says he is respectful as by his usual standards--Proceeds to attempt to belittle a person.

Perhaps you had trouble understanding when I said? Allow me to direct you to what I had said about what I was referring to:

Posted ImageSharpshooter, on 29 September 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

...which didn't relate to separately addressing a poster's nincompoopery. Should I have perhaps used a different font for your comprehensive needs?

Glad you could stay on topic though and continue to worry about what I say as opposed to what the subject of the thread had to say.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 29 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#225 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

POPULAR

Perhaps you had trouble understanding when I said? Allow me to direct you to what I had said about what I was referring to:

...which didn't relate to separately addressing a poster's nincompoopery. Should I have perhaps used a different font for your comprehensive needs?

Glad you could stay on topic though and continue to worry about what I say as opposed to what the subject of the thread had to say.

Nope, contrary to your belief, I actually have no trouble comprehending your posts.
You say you were respectful "as per your usual standards" and I pointed out an insatnce where you weren't respectful in that very post. Seems like a clear violation of your "standards".

But if you don't like that, I could also allude to the many a posts in other religious threads where you call religious folk "delusional" or "idiotic" or some variant of those words.
Not very respectful either :sadno:

Edited by Jagermeister, 29 September 2012 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

#226 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

^^^

Those of you taking pot shots at her miss the entire point of this thread/her response.

We get it, she is unattractive by some standards but the beauty in her is that hers isn't a shallow thinking and looks beyond the outer presentation to something much more meaningful - what the person is all about on the inside. And if we all adopted this thinking and cared little about appearance and focused more on the important stuff, it would make the world a better place.

To continue to make jokes after someone's obvious, sincere attempt to address the issue in a profound manner just makes you look small(er). Keep that in mind....(and on topic please - last warning before official ones are doled out).

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 29 September 2012 - 02:46 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#227 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Beauty is as beauty does .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#228 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Nope, contrary to your belief, I actually have no trouble comprehending your posts.
You say you were respectful "as per your usual standards" and I pointed out an insatnce where you weren't respectful in that very post. Seems like a clear violation of your "standards".

But if you don't like that, I could also allude to the many a posts in other religious threads where you call religious folk "delusional" or "idiotic" or some variant of those words.
Not very respectful either :sadno:

Again, for the sake of clarification and for your obvious miscomprehension of what I wrote in that my comment about respectfulness was specifically and wholely directed at religion, My critique of Balpreet's fundamentalist adherence to tenets as put forth by Sikhism, which in this specific case, was more respectful than usual, at least by the standards of respect that I usually show to man-made fairy-tale based ideologies. Nowhere, did I say that I would therefore be respectful to asinine comments made by posters. Generally, people who respond in a respectful way to my posts are reciprocally treated respectfully by me. It's a mostly standard rule of mine when engaging in a discussion with anyone. Hope this clarification is the one that sinks in.

#229 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

POPULAR

Again, for the sake of clarification and for your obvious miscomprehension of what I wrote in that my comment about respectfulness was specifically and wholely directed at religion, My critique of Balpreet's fundamentalist adherence to tenets as put forth by Sikhism, which in this specific case, was more respectful than usual, at least by the standards of respect that I usually show to man-made fairy-tale based ideologies. Nowhere, did I say that I would therefore be respectful to asinine comments made by posters. Generally, people who respond in a respectful way to my posts are reciprocally treated respectfully by me. It's a mostly standard rule of mine when engaging in a discussion with anyone. Hope this clarification is the one that sinks in.

How many individuals have you 'enlightened' by calling them 'idiots' and 'delusional' and 'followers of man-made fairy-tales'?

Have you considered that nobody actually cares about your critiques of their beliefs and that you are merely creating conflict and hostility between yourself and others while wasting your breath and time?

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#230 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

How many individuals have you 'enlightened' by calling them 'idiots' and 'delusional' and 'followers of man-made fairy-tales'?

Have you considered that nobody actually cares about your critiques of their beliefs and that you are merely creating conflict and hostility between yourself and others while wasting your breath and time?

Have you considered that after the multiple warnings already in this thread by a moderator, you should stay on topic?

#231 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Have you considered that after the multiple warnings already in this thread by a moderator, you should stay on topic?

I merely addressed your own comments from two hours ago, which also was the last commentary within this thread (and which would also indicate that you failed to consider what you are now preaching that I should consider).

...and it is fine if you do not wish to answer my questions.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#232 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

NEWSFLASH: I actually care .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#233 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Not really newsworthy but in any case...

Posted Image

#234 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Meh.just hit the report button, T! ;)

But isn't it great to know that there are some of us who can appreciate the courage and grace of Balpreet Kaur? ::D

#235 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Wow, this is ridiculous.

Posted Image

#236 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

By special request, this thread is being opened (despite my reluctance to do so, we'll give it one more shot).

It is with the understanding that every single post be directed at the story only - not one another. No need to point out any wrong doing in thread, as there is a report button for that.

Anyone not following that fairly simple/concise direction will be warned, with the thread likely being shut down for good in that case.

No one is exempt, so keep that in mind.

Posted Image

#237 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

This story was featured this morning on the Melissa Harris-Perry program on MSNBC .. she used it to point out how inner strength and beauty can overcome ridicule and bias .. and turn your detractors into your allies .. a "teachable moment" .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#238 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

This story was featured this morning on the Melissa Harris-Perry program on MSNBC .. she used it to point out how inner strength and beauty can overcome ridicule and bias .. and turn your detractors into your allies .. a "teachable moment" .. :)

It's been getting attention the world over. I've seen articles from virtually everywhere on the story. She's certainly seems to have gotten quite a lot of attention. I think what's great is that the focus of those stories has been more on her response and her inner strength and how it turned a detractor into an ally of sorts, than about the focus of the ridicule in the first place. Good on her for being able to inspire others.

#239 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

I think Balpreet should be counselled on how to be more balanced in life. A Psychologist might able to help but it may take years of therapy because she has adopted very extremist values. The Sikh religion does not tell it's followers to limit themselves to being beautiful only on the inside.

Sikhism preaches common sense. This young lady needs to re think what her religion really calls for and some of the real reasons for keeping unshorn hair. She is clearly misled and misinformed. She is an extremist in the true sense of the word.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 30 September 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#240 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

If Balpreet Kaur chooses to use whatever reason for keeping her facial hair, what does it ultimately matter? Why should she need a psychologist? Her choice doesn't (shouldn't) affect anyone else's life, it doesn't harm anyone. So now she has a mental issue and should be subjected to years of therapy because she has chosen not to change her outward appearance in order to satisfy ignorant and immature people in society? Or because she is somehow 'unbalanced' because of her decision? Her reason and justification for not changing her physical appearance is her own decision....a brave and courageous one.

And according to the logic of "I think Balpreet should be counselled on how to be more balanced in life. A Psychologist might able to help but it may take years of therapy because she has adopted very extremist values", a huge percentage of society should therefore be in counseling and be having years of therapy.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 30 September 2012 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.