Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Hamhuis donates $100,000 for new McDonalds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#31 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Edited by D-Bo7, 26 September 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#32 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Who cares if he doesn't actually go to the events. It's his coin funding the whole thing.
Hmm, you don't think he's busy making sure that his billion dollar corporation is healthy?
Without owners like him, there is no NHL, and these players aren't millionaires. And without him cutting the cheques for charity events such as golf tournaments, none of it's even possible.
And even though it's not required of the players to make donations like this, they are contractually obligated to attend charity events hosted by the Canucks. So even though they are generous people, they are no more generous than the owners.
So think twice before you criticize a very generous person who is well respected in this community.

#1. There is no NHL right now with owners like them,in case you have not noticed.
#2.The Aquilini family has plenty of employees to do their tasks.Billionaires have plenty of spare time if they have any brains,and I am assuming they are a bright family.
#3.The Sedins and Hamhuis ,Bieksa and Malholtra are not obligated to give to charities freely with their own free time and equity.The Canucks charities that the Aquilini family inherited do not include the hospitals that the Hamhuis and Sedin families have chosen to support on their own.
#4.I can question and criticize anybody I desire to.This forum is not Russia and you are not Vladimir Putin.
#5.Me and my loved ones have never received anything from the extremely wealthy Aquilini family so they mean precious little to me and are losing face each and every day.

Dan Hamhuis and his wife Sarah are continuing an involvement with Ronald McDonald House that began when they lived in Nashville, Tenn..

Following the lead of Henrik and Daniel Sedin two years ago, Vancouver Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis and his wife Sarah have made a $100,000 donation towards a planned new Ronald McDonald House.

The Sedins gave a $1.5-million donation after they’d signed a deal that would pay them a combined $61 million over five years.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz27dWpM6tR

Edited by nuck nit, 26 September 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#33 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

This lockout sure sucks...way to go Hammer!
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#34 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

#1. There is no NHL right now with owners like them,in case you have not noticed.
#2.The Aquilini family has plenty of employees to do their tasks.Billionaires have plenty of spare time if they have any brains,and I am assuming they are a bright family.
#3.The Sedins and Hamhuis ,Bieksa and Malholtra are not obligated to give to charities freely with their own free time and equity.The Canucks charities that the Aquilini family inherited do not include hospitals.
#4.I can question and criticize anybody I want to.This forum is not Russia and you are not Vladimir Putin.
#5.Me and my loved ones have never received anything from the wealthy Aquilini family so they mean little to me and are losing face each and every day.

#1 The Aquilini's are one of the owners opposed to the lockout. They make 15 million dollars a season. Trust me, they're happy with the way things were going.

#2 Some owners don't like being in the spotlight, can't blame them. Them being present adds no more value to their causes.

#3 The Canucks regularly donate to the Canucks for kids fund and the children's hospital. SO yes, the players are obligated to go on hospital visits.

#4 You can criticize anyone you want, but not without being called out if you don't back it up with facts.

#5 So the Aquilini's going above and beyond spending money on the Canucks, a team which you obviously follow and care about, means nothing? Bullsh!t, as are the rest of your points.

Edited by D-Bo7, 26 September 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#35 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I agree.
I like seeing photo ops of Gillis in the Charlottes and the Caribbean fishing for charities.
That leaves me all warm and fuzzy to see the Pres. and CEO of a major corporation out sport fishing,sparing his valuable time and sharing his wealth helping others in need.

Canucks for Kids fishing tournament just last month. Pics on canucks.com of him being there as well he donated money to the fund and flips the bill for the tournament. Go look. http://canucks.nhl.c...ry.htm?id=31036

On top of that I've personally seen him at a few C.A.N events and even more personally he's given his Jersey with his name on the back of it to one of my clients literally right off his back.

Oh speaking of CAN they support/sponser/fund several different CAN programs across the province including cooking programs, sports etc for kids and young adults with autism.

Can you stop turning something nice into something negative now?

Now onto someone worth talking about/to. Hammer is a giver for sure. I believe there was an article that came out last season about a young man with special needs in Nashville that he still keeps in touch with. Great hockey player but an even better person it seems.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 26 September 2012 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Canucks for Kids fishing tournament just last month. Pics on canucks.com of him being there as well he donated money to the fund and flips the bill for the tournament. Go look.

On top of that I've personally seen him at a few C.A.N events and even more personally he's given his Jersey with his name on the back of it to one of my clients literally right off his back.

Can you stop turning something nice into something negative now?

Yea, I don't know what this guy is on about. We have one of the more generous owners in the league.

I think somebodies just taking the lockout really hard, and directing his anger towards the Canucks owners.

#37 coastal.view

coastal.view

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Google Francesco Aquilini to learn more about his charitable involvements

For example: The Aquilini family also believes each generation is accountable for preserving and safeguarding the environment for future generations. As a result of their sizeable donation toward the conservation of Blaney Bog in Maple Ridge, a 104 hectare site adjacent to Blaney Bog Regional Park was renamed as the Aquilini Land Conservancy, recognizing the family's part in permanently protecting the area as a wildlife and nature reserve.

I would also assume additional charitable work is done without publicity like with most of us.

Edited by coastal.view, 26 September 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#38 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Yea, I don't know what this guy is on about. We have one of the more generous owners in the league.

I think somebodies just taking the lockout really hard, and directing his anger towards the Canucks owners.

Oh he's just angry at anything that doesn't jive with him. Used to trash Luongo all the time until it came time to praise him so he could trash Gillis. Now he's picked a side with the lockout so he demonizes everything and anything related to the owners. He doesn't realizes it hurts his side of the argument more than anything else. He doesn't care at all about Hamhuis here he just saw an opportunity to say something negative because he's negative. It's too bad because these things are so positive.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 26 September 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

You got me with the title there :lol:

Good man Hamhuis.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#40 Aris

Aris

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

BC boy representing the pride of what a true Canuck should be!

Posted Image

RIP Demitra, Rypien and Bourdon

#41 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

gotta love hammer
Posted Image

#42 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

#1 The Aquilini's are one of the owners opposed to the lockout. They make 15 million dollars a season. Trust me, they're happy with the way things were going.

#2 Some owners don't like being in the spotlight, can't blame them. Them being present adds no more value to their causes.

#3 The Canucks regularly donate to the Canucks for kids fund and the children's hospital. SO yes, the players are obligated to go on hospital visits.

#4 You can criticize anyone you want, but not without being called out if you don't back it up with facts.

#5 So the Aquilini's going above and beyond spending money on the Canucks, a team which you obviously follow and care about, means nothing? Bullsh!t, as are the rest of your points.

So you speak for the Canuck ownership.
I did not hear them as being opposed to this lockout -or the last one-as they rake in more mullah on the backs of players and the game as hostage.
Please provide some evidence as you speak for the Billionaires.I do not blame them.They are billionaires,and that is their nature.
I was referring to the players that are generously giving their time and equity to charities outside of the Canucks foundation.Not sure why you have not figured that out as you can write english well enough.
I care about watching hockey and there is none as the owners all locked out their players.
The Aquilini family are not on my hero list but players and their wives that give their time and millions of dollars in cash have first dibs if I ever begin a personal hero worship club,which I will not.

#43 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

Google Francesco Aquilini to learn more about his charitable involvements

For example: The Aquilini family also believes each generation is accountable for preserving and safeguarding the environment for future generations. As a result of their sizeable donation toward the conservation of Blaney Bog in Maple Ridge, a 104 hectare site adjacent to Blaney Bog Regional Park was renamed as the Aquilini Land Conservancy, recognizing the family's part in permanently protecting the area as a wildlife and nature reserve.

I would also assume additional charitable work is done without publicity like with most of us.

I read a few pieces on the family.Luigi did it the hard way and has my respect.
Most financial decisions,even charitable donations,are business decisions based upon wealth preservation.
Like I said,I am not into hero worship,but NHL hockey.Oh,there is none.

Still, Aquilini admits, most of his skill as a dealmaker and company leader is inherited. “We don’t make any decisions that are emotional,” he says, sipping a coffee at Marcello’s, a favoured Commercial Drive haunt. “Every decision is a dispassionate calculated risk. Now passion is brought in after you make the decision. You get everybody excited. But up to that point, there is no emotion. It’s all information gathering, assessing. The goal is to reduce the amount of risk of the outcome failing.”

#44 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

durring a lockout, where he is going to lose a lot of money, he is still in the mindset to help others. thanks for being a Canuck hammer!

Yup...well done hammer...true canuck..

#45 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

Canucks: Hamhuis donates $100,000 for new Ronald McDonald House

BY GORDON MCINTYRE, THE PROVINCE SEPTEMBER 26, 2012

Dan Hamhuis and his wife Sarah are continuing an involvement with Ronald McDonald House that began when they lived in Nashville, Tenn. Submitted photo/Ronald McDonald House

Following the lead of Henrik and Daniel Sedin two years ago, Vancouver Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis and his wife Sarah have made a $100,000 donation towards a planned new Ronald McDonald House.
The announcement was made public on Wednesday.
The Sedins gave a $1.5-million donation after they’d signed a deal that would pay them a combined $61 million over five years.
The existing Ronald McDonald House is a five-minute drive from B.C. Children’s Hospital and houses the families of up to 15 children in the hospital with life-threatening illnesses.
A new one is scheduled to go up on a one-hectare parcel of land on the hospital campus. The planned 73-room, 74,000-square-foot hospice will be the second-biggest in Canada, behind a new one in Toronto, and will include such amenities as larger bathrooms and an adult-free teen lounge.
The target is to raise $28.8 million, of which the province will match the first $13.375 million.
“A lot of families are forced to sleep in their cars, they can’t afford a hotel, and we’re really happy with this [Hamhuis] donation,” said Brad Bartsch, director of development for Ronald McDonald House.
Richard Pass, CEO of Ronald McDonald House BC, said: “Dan and Sarah Hamhuis have been a great encouragement and support to our families at Ronald McDonald House BC, and we are so thankful for their generous donation.”
Hamhuis said he got involved with RMH while he was playing for the Nashville Predators.
“Sarah and I started working with RMH and really enjoyed meeting and supporting the families that came through,” he said.
“When we moved to Vancouver it was a natural fit for us to stay involved,” added Hamhuis, a B.C. native.
“Growing up in northern communities in B.C., my wife and I have seen first-hand the help Ronald McDonald House BC has provided to friends of ours.
“We are excited to contribute to a new RMH that will serve many more families for years to come.”
Construction of the new facility is to begin this fall, with completion slated for January, 2014.
gordmcintyre@theprovince.com
twitter.com/gmacsports

© Copyright © The Province

more:http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz27edBW8WE

Class act
Posted Image

#46 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

Good on Hammer!!

He's always been helping out with charities since he was in Nashville, I believe.

Oh and Nuck Nit just give it a rest already, no one cares about what you have to say.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,526 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Show me one they did not inherit with the club and give me the percentages re:income vs charity compared to the Sedins ,Malholtra and Hamhuis charitable giving as a % of their salaries.Thanks.
FTR,I was not specifying the Vancouver owner act but the NHL owner act currently under way with no NHL hockey for the continent.
But ,I was thinking of the charitable acts of Hamhuis,Malholtra,the Sedins and Hamhuis -not only with cash but with their time.
I have never seen any one of the present owners present at a charity event ,giving of their time.

I did a simple google: "Aquilini charity" and this was the first result. Didn't bother looking further.

http://convergemagaz...paolo-aquilini/

Here's a small blurb....

“We look at owning the Vancouver Canucks as stewardship, not as ownership,” said Aquilini. “What that gives us is an opportunity to do things with an asset that really belongs to the public. It gives you a sense of responsibility.”
It is with this mindset that Aquilini conducts his day-to-day business dealings – in relationship to the Canucks, and also GM Place and other Aquilini enterprises.
Through his role as president of the Canucks for Kids Fund, Aquilini is involved with a variety of charitable initiatives.
In addition, Paolo – along with his wife, Clara – founded the Canucks Autism Network, a key charity of the Canucks, designed to help families living with autism in British Columbia.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#48 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

They gotten name a burger after him for this
Half the work is already done.

#49 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

Good stuff.

#50 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,526 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

Although your thread title is considerably better...

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/335853-hamhuis-you-fail-to/

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#51 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

this is what leaders do , they lead by example .
we are lucky to have this guy on out team , right on Dan .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#52 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

So very glad Hammer decided to come home and play for the Canucks. A class act, through and through.

RIP LB RR PD

#53 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

I did a simple google: "Aquilini charity" and this was the first result. Didn't bother looking further.

http://convergemagaz...paolo-aquilini/

Here's a small blurb....

“We look at owning the Vancouver Canucks as stewardship, not as ownership,” said Aquilini. “What that gives us is an opportunity to do things with an asset that really belongs to the public. It gives you a sense of responsibility.”
It is with this mindset that Aquilini conducts his day-to-day business dealings – in relationship to the Canucks, and also GM Place and other Aquilini enterprises.
Through his role as president of the Canucks for Kids Fund, Aquilini is involved with a variety of charitable initiatives.
In addition, Paolo – along with his wife, Clara – founded the Canucks Autism Network, a key charity of the Canucks, designed to help families living with autism in British Columbia.

And he's one of the main sponsors for the Italian Gardens at Hastings Park. Let's also not forget that the Canucks (as an organization), along with the Canucks for Kids Fund donated $5 million to the BCCHF in 2011.

Take a look at this article
http://bccatholic.ca...assisi-students

The school wanted to have benches to remember two of their fallen students. They decided to hold an auction. The mother of a student decided to write Francesco Aquilini a letter asking for some help and if he could give anything to be auctioned off. He was kind enough to send along a team signed jersey.

Or St George's School? francesco aquilini and his former wife donated a team signed wine bottle to be auctioned off.

Or how about Passion Vancouver (a religious event)? They sure have a lot of love for the Aquilini brothers and their willingness to allow the event to be held at Rogers Arena.
http://claytonimoo.c...t-hand-account/

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 27 September 2012 - 04:10 AM.

Posted Image

#54 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hamhuis donates $100,000 for new McDonalds :rolleyes:

#55 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,068 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

A class guy on and off the ice .. a true Northern son who does us all proud .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#56 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

100grand thats it? I like Hmahuis and he's a great guy, but come on bro I would have donated a million at least minimum 500 grand

#57 16ToWin

16ToWin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

100grand thats it? I like Hmahuis and he's a great guy, but come on bro I would have donated a million at least minimum 500 grand

Lay off the 420... makes you sound stunned.
Home honey,.I'm high

#58 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

So you speak for the Canuck ownership.
I did not hear them as being opposed to this lockout -or the last one-as they rake in more mullah on the backs of players and the game as hostage.
Please provide some evidence as you speak for the Billionaires.I do not blame them.They are billionaires,and that is their nature.
I was referring to the players that are generously giving their time and equity to charities outside of the Canucks foundation.Not sure why you have not figured that out as you can write english well enough.
I care about watching hockey and there is none as the owners all locked out their players.
The Aquilini family are not on my hero list but players and their wives that give their time and millions of dollars in cash have first dibs if I ever begin a personal hero worship club,which I will not.

Evidently you can't read english because it's been pretty clearly laid out for you already.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

I would do that to if i made 5 million dollars a year. Nice gesture still , but just saying.........

Well start with what you can afford! If you make 50k a year donate a $1000. The best thing about donations like that is it reminds or inspires others to do the same with what they can!
Posted Image

#60 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,160 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Well start with what you can afford! If you make 50k a year donate a $1000. The best thing about donations like that is it reminds or inspires others to do the same with what they can!

Exactly.

And I don't understand why this thread has become a debate on whether the Aquilini's are philanthropists or not. The thread is about Dan Hamhuis, a player who can make us all feel proud to be Canuck fans.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.