The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hamhuis donates $100,000 for new McDonalds

D.Doughty

#1 The Aquilini's are one of the owners opposed to the lockout. They make 15 million dollars a season. Trust me, they're happy with the way things were going.

#2 Some owners don't like being in the spotlight, can't blame them. Them being present adds no more value to their causes.

#3 The Canucks regularly donate to the Canucks for kids fund and the children's hospital. SO yes, the players are obligated to go on hospital visits.

#4 You can criticize anyone you want, but not without being called out if you don't back it up with facts.

#5 So the Aquilini's going above and beyond spending money on the Canucks, a team which you obviously follow and care about, means nothing? Bullsh!t, as are the rest of your points.

Google Francesco Aquilini to learn more about his charitable involvements

For example: The Aquilini family also believes each generation is accountable for preserving and safeguarding the environment for future generations. As a result of their sizeable donation toward the conservation of Blaney Bog in Maple Ridge, a 104 hectare site adjacent to Blaney Bog Regional Park was renamed as the Aquilini Land Conservancy, recognizing the family's part in permanently protecting the area as a wildlife and nature reserve.

I would also assume additional charitable work is done without publicity like with most of us.

Canucks: Hamhuis donates $100,000 for new Ronald McDonald House

BY GORDON MCINTYRE, THE PROVINCE SEPTEMBER 26, 2012

Dan Hamhuis and his wife Sarah are continuing an involvement with Ronald McDonald House that began when they lived in Nashville, Tenn. Submitted photo/Ronald McDonald House

Following the lead of Henrik and Daniel Sedin two years ago, Vancouver Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis and his wife Sarah have made a $100,000 donation towards a planned new Ronald McDonald House.

The announcement was made public on Wednesday.

The Sedins gave a $1.5-million donation after they’d signed a deal that would pay them a combined $61 million over five years.

The existing Ronald McDonald House is a five-minute drive from B.C. Children’s Hospital and houses the families of up to 15 children in the hospital with life-threatening illnesses.

A new one is scheduled to go up on a one-hectare parcel of land on the hospital campus. The planned 73-room, 74,000-square-foot hospice will be the second-biggest in Canada, behind a new one in Toronto, and will include such amenities as larger bathrooms and an adult-free teen lounge.

The target is to raise $28.8 million, of which the province will match the first $13.375 million.

“A lot of families are forced to sleep in their cars, they can’t afford a hotel, and we’re really happy with this [Hamhuis] donation,” said Brad Bartsch, director of development for Ronald McDonald House.

Richard Pass, CEO of Ronald McDonald House BC, said: “Dan and Sarah Hamhuis have been a great encouragement and support to our families at Ronald McDonald House BC, and we are so thankful for their generous donation.”

Hamhuis said he got involved with RMH while he was playing for the Nashville Predators.

“Sarah and I started working with RMH and really enjoyed meeting and supporting the families that came through,” he said.

“When we moved to Vancouver it was a natural fit for us to stay involved,” added Hamhuis, a B.C. native.

“Growing up in northern communities in B.C., my wife and I have seen first-hand the help Ronald McDonald House BC has provided to friends of ours.

“We are excited to contribute to a new RMH that will serve many more families for years to come.”

Construction of the new facility is to begin this fall, with completion slated for January, 2014.

gordmcintyre@theprovince.com

twitter.com/gmacsports

© Copyright © The Province

more:http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz27edBW8WE

Class act

Show me one they did not inherit with the club and give me the percentages re:income vs charity compared to the Sedins ,Malholtra and Hamhuis charitable giving as a % of their salaries.Thanks.

FTR,I was not specifying the Vancouver owner act but the NHL owner act currently under way with no NHL hockey for the continent.

But ,I was thinking of the charitable acts of Hamhuis,Malholtra,the Sedins and Hamhuis -not only with cash but with their time.

I have never seen any one of the present owners present at a charity event ,giving of their time.

I did a simple google: "Aquilini charity" and this was the first result. Didn't bother looking further.

http://convergemagaz...paolo-aquilini/

Here's a small blurb....

“We look at owning the Vancouver Canucks as stewardship, not as ownership,” said Aquilini. “What that gives us is an opportunity to do things with an asset that really belongs to the public. It gives you a sense of responsibility.”

It is with this mindset that Aquilini conducts his day-to-day business dealings – in relationship to the Canucks, and also GM Place and other Aquilini enterprises.

Through his role as president of the Canucks for Kids Fund, Aquilini is involved with a variety of charitable initiatives.

In addition, Paolo – along with his wife, Clara – founded the Canucks Autism Network, a key charity of the Canucks, designed to help families living with autism in British Columbia.

So you speak for the Canuck ownership.

I did not hear them as being opposed to this lockout -or the last one-as they rake in more mullah on the backs of players and the game as hostage.

Please provide some evidence as you speak for the Billionaires.I do not blame them.They are billionaires,and that is their nature.

I was referring to the players that are generously giving their time and equity to charities outside of the Canucks foundation.Not sure why you have not figured that out as you can write english well enough.

I care about watching hockey and there is none as the owners all locked out their players.

The Aquilini family are not on my hero list but players and their wives that give their time and millions of dollars in cash have first dibs if I ever begin a personal hero worship club,which I will not.

Archived