88 replies to this topic

#61 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Doesn't matter how much money you make, whether it's 10 million or 10 dollars, but if you choose to donate the money you have earned, you have the right to donate as much as you like, even if it isn't that significant when compared to others. It's still a donation, it's all good.

#62 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I would do that to if i made 5 million dollars a year. Nice gesture still , but just saying.........

This is absolutely correct.

Daniel & Henrik's $1.5M donation has basically given them immunity from this fanbase's vitriol. They really didn't do much at all in the SCF, and they also really didn't do much in the playoffs this year (like the whole team, but, still, they're the "leaders").

Who's the one that typically gets all the hate? ROBERTO LUONGO. Who is also the guy that hasn't publicly donated a significant amount like this? You guessed it - Roberto Luongo. Instead, you see Lou hawking poker websites, and things of that nature. Pretty sad. I always wondered why he just didn't donate a big sum of money, like Danny & Hank. Would've taken a lot of pressure off of him from this fanbase (rightfully so, IMO).

#63 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Daniel & Henrik's $1.5M donation has basically given them immunity from this fanbase's vitriol. They really didn't do much at all in the SCF, and they also really didn't do much in the playoffs this year (like the whole team, but, still, they're the "leaders").

Who's the one that typically gets all the hate? ROBERTO LUONGO. Who is also the guy that hasn't publicly donated a significant amount like this? You guessed it - Roberto Luongo. Instead, you see Lou hawking poker websites, and things of that nature. Pretty sad. I always wondered why he just didn't donate a big sum of money, like Danny & Hank. Would've taken a lot of pressure off of him from this fanbase (rightfully so, IMO).

I can appreciate this POV. If you donate to a charity within a community it does send a strong message that you intend to be a part of that community. Though he may very well give lots to charities but just isn't as public about it.
Posted Image

#64 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

A point per game isn't doing much? Now a .891 S% with 3.59 gaa could be construed as not doing much. Compare that to Schneiders .96 S% with a 1.31 gaa. Now NHL stars giving to charity certainly enhances a players image, but do you honestly believe CDC would suddenly love Raymond again if he donated some money?
Posted Image

#65 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

A point per game isn't doing much? Now a .891 S% with 3.59 gaa could be construed as not doing much. Compare that to Schneiders .96 S% with a 1.31 gaa. Now NHL stars giving to charity certainly enhances a players image, but do you honestly believe CDC would suddenly love Raymond again if he donated some money?

Mason Raymond doesn't have a $64M contract in Luongo's case, or a $25M - $30M one in Hamhuis/Sedin's case. It's a completely different circumstance.

That being said, yes, I do think that it would give him a heck of a lot longer of a leash. Malhotra's been utterly useless since his eye injury (and it was a bad contract to begin with, quite honestly), but he's such a nice guy that he's still so revered by most Canuck fans. You wanna know who's going to be the next whipping boy around here? DAVID BOOTH. He's going to get totally skewered around here if he's not productive relative to his contract (which, IMO, is likely). That bear massacre over the summer was totally idiotic, as are his I'm-so-hard-done-by-feel-sorry-for-me biblical crap posted on Twitter, and people aren't going to forget about it. Watch and see.

#66 Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck

Faceman

• Super Moderators
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Can we please keep this on topic. I'm only going to give one warning on this. Please stop taking this off topic, this thread is about Hamhuis and his charitable donation.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please read the Board Rules.

#67 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Income Tax rebate..... regardless at least its goin to a good cause

#68 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Good on Hammer. I might do the same thing and donate 100k.
Posted Image

#69 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

disappoint. Congratulations on you, very charitable action you did

@‏@DarrenDreger Great gesture by Dan and Sarah Hamhuis, who according to a press release have donated $100,000 to Ronald McDonald House.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have never seen any one of the present owners present at a charity event ,giving of their time.

Ed Snider has his own charity and spends his own time with it.

Edited by Gerg, 27 September 2012 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

#71 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Without Sedins this team is NOTHING. The Sedins didn't do nothing??? How about the awards they won? How about being PPG in the playoffs? You'll be crying once they retire and our team hits rock bottom, so just be glad we have superstars like Sedins.

Posted Image

#72 KB_3

KB_3

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

nice job hammer!

#73 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Can we please keep this on topic. I'm only going to give one warning on this. Please stop taking this off topic, this thread is about Hamhuis and his charitable donation.

Right on Face Man!

#74 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,897 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Anyone who has one negative thing to say about this is just ridiculous. Any charitable donation is commendable and this is a fairly substantial one. I don't care how much hockey players make, there's nothing forcing them to do any of this and when they do, let's keep it positive.

Well done, Danny. The community thanks you for caring. :)

Posted Image

#75 RFK

RFK

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Anyone who has one negative thing to say about this is just ridiculous. Any charitable donation is commendable and this is a fairly substantial one. I don't care how much hockey players make, there's nothing forcing them to do any of this and when they do, let's keep it positive.

Well said Deb. And well done Hammer!
"This is, without a doubt, the most inconvenient war in history!"

-Charles Emerson Winchester III

#76 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

This is a terribly worded topic. "donates 100k for new McDonalds" what does he want one built closer to his house? lol!

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 27 September 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#77 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

hammer time

#78 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Dan Hamhuis I think often suffers from his own shy, humble personality. He's among the best shut down D-men in the league, he's a class act all the way, and he's from BC and plays amazingly for his home team. This guy is great to have here in Van and I think his charity work goes beyond "Going through the motions" from what I've seen of him.

Second highest +- for defensemen in the entire NHL while playing against the top lines on the opposition for top minutes every game, check. 37 points while being a "stay at home defenseman", check. Laying down awesome hip checks? Check. That's 4.5mil in the bank by today's market standards. That and his presence is great for Bieksa and allows him to play his style of game to his potential.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 28 September 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#79 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

I totally agree, this guy is among the finest hockey players BC has produced in recent history and we're incredibly lucky to have him play for the home team.

#80 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Very honourable

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#81 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

good look @ on the thread title change

we can always use more mcdonalds hammer

your doing your province a great service
Posted Image

#82 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 29 September 2012 - 01:39 AM.

Posted Image

#83 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Good on Hammer, gotta love when our better players emulate Linden. Garisson is showing to be cut from very similar cloth as well, so great pick up there.

Edited by TimberWolf, 29 September 2012 - 09:16 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#84 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

why he choose fast food?

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#85 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

why you heff to donate to fast food
Posted Image

Edited by cIutch, 29 September 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

#86 Molli

Molli

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Wellwood donates $100,000 for new McDonalds

FTFY
Posted Image

#87 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

This is a terribly worded topic. "donates 100k for new McDonalds" what does he want one built closer to his house? lol!

Doesn't matter how much money you make, whether it's 10 million or 10 dollars, but if you choose to donate the money you have earned, you have the right to donate as much as you like, even if it isn't that significant when compared to others. It's still a donation, it's all good.

Money is money. 100K is a lot for anyone, especially who has time to post here. Not one poster here has ever donated that much. That i will guarantee. Unless some player is just messing with us for fun, which would make me laugh uncontrollably. No criticism as to how little or how much that is based on earnings can be accepted.

Great job Mr Hamhuis. A truely generous and giving sports figure and human being. Your name has been registered as "in the running" for jersey naming. Burrows underdog story still has you out worked but its getting closer. Keep it up.

These types of stories are what keep me interested.

I still stand by mark McGuire and his donation to children's charities in the St. Louis area when he signed the big deal. No matter what else surfaced.

Cheers

Ps. I also thought it was a poorly worded title. McDonald's definitely doesn't need the cash.

Edited by wattevr, 29 September 2012 - 11:23 PM.

Walter... Why's it always gotta be about 'Nam.

F@$K it. Lets go bowling.

#88 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

LOL @ people ranting at "only" 100,000.
As I recall, Hamhuis isn't even getting paid this year, yet he is still kind enough to donate a large sum of money to a great cause.
Posted Image

#89 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Great guy. Starting to become a fan of him.

...and I really miss his hip-checks.

Wtf?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.