Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

ABC News Tracks Missing iPad To Florida Home of TSA Officer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,547 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Just saw this on the news, what an idiot. The look on his face when ABC busted him was hilarious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the existence of GPS tracking applications for security, criminals still think they can get away with mobile devices.

Detailed extensively in an investigative sting operation conducted by ABC News, an Florida-based TSA agent named Andy Ramirez was caught with a iPad stolen from the security line at the Orlando International Airport. In an attempt to test the honesty of TSA agents at ten major airports around the United States, ABC News representatives “accidentally” left their iPad at the security checkpoint. Each iPad had a case that displayed the owner’s name and phone number. At nine of the ten airports, TSA agents correctly followed procedure and contacted the owner of the tablet. In addition, ABC News representatives tested sending checked bags containing cash and an iPad through security, but nothing was stolen from any suitcase at all ten airports.

Regarding the iPad that went missing, ABC News secretly filmed Ramirez handling the iPad at the security checkpoint. Two hours later, representatives used Apple’s Find My iPad application to track the location of the expensive tablet to Ramirez’s home.

Over two weeks later, ABC News sent reporter Brian Ross and a camera crew to Ramirez’s home. Catching Ramirez outside in his TSA uniform, Ross introduced himself and asked Ramirez about the missing iPad. Despite showing Ramirez the current GPS location of the iPad on another tablet, Ramirez denied that the iPad was located within his home.

Ross then used the Find My iPad sound feature that overrides the volume or silent setting on the tablet to activate a loud alarm. After hearing the tablet inside the home, Ramirez retrieved the iPad and blamed his wife for stealing the tablet. Ramirez said “My wife said she got the iPad and brought it home.” Ross disputed his claim by bringing up the footage taken at the security checkpoint, but Ramirez refused to answer any more questions and closed the door.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Ramirez was no longer employed by the Transportation Security Administration. Regarding the incident, a TSA representative stated that the organization has “a zero-tolerance policy for theft and terminates any employee who is determined to have stolen from a passenger.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwDUrVgDOdY
However, this isn’t the first time that a TSA agent has been busted for stealing electronics or other valuables from passenger luggage. In a similar case during February 2012, police at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport arrested 31-year-old Clayton Keith Dovel after using Find My iPad tracking to locate eight stolen iPads at Dovel’s home. Dovel was a TSA baggage inspector at the Dallas airport.

Also during February 2012, a 31-year-old, New York based TSA agent named Alexandra Schmid was arrested for stealing $5,000 in cash from a passenger’s jacket. After wrapping the cash within a plastic glove, Schmid was filmed taking the money into a bathroom to pass it off to an unknown person. Shortly after the incident Schmid was arrested for grand larceny. During July 2011, TSA agent Nelson Santiago-Serrano at another Florida airport was arrested after authorities discovered an iPad shoved into his pants. His arrest led to the discovery of $50,000 dollars of additional stolen electronics during his employment period with the TSA.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 27 September 2012 - 11:49 PM.

qrak1x.jpg

#2 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,179 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Scum bag, I know this TSA employee doesn't represent all agents but it makes you doubt if they actually hire professionals.

Edited by Armada, 27 September 2012 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#3 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,547 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Scum bags, I know this TSA employee doesn't represent all agents but it makes you doubt if they actually hire professionals.

I would assume they would have to be bonded to be able to work for TSA. Theft from where you work is rather stupid considering this will follow him for life, not worth it.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 27 September 2012 - 11:52 PM.

qrak1x.jpg

#4 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well, 1 out of 10 isn`t a trend. I don`t believe that the TSA employs thieves or the average agent is anything less than reputable. It could be an isolated anomaly.

I am glad that stings like this exist to weed out the scumbags. While a brief tarnish on their reputations, these will strengthen their organization.

#5 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

what a bunch of dicks, they left it there on purpose then put his face on tv so he gets fired

i mean he deserved it but thats crapty lol

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#6 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hahahahahaaaa "Oh... my wife must've..."!!

I love watching people get busted for ANYTHING!

TomBrady.jpg

#7 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Interesting.

TSA agent breaches code of conduct: "oh, it doesn't reflect the entire force".

RCMP officer breaches code of conduct: "THEY ARE CORRUPT!! GET RID OF THEM!!!!"

I've never understood news networks who do this. Sure, the guy is a crook, but how can you sleep at night knowing you just put somebody out of employment on a stupid little investigation? Theft happens everywhere, big whoop.

Edited by Denguin, 28 September 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#8 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

what a bunch of dicks, they left it there on purpose then put his face on tv so he gets fired

i mean he deserved it but thats crapty lol

OMG entrapment, entrapment! You a cop, you have to say so if I ask!

#9 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

Interesting.

TSA agent breaches code of conduct: "oh, it doesn't reflect the entire force".

RCMP officer breaches code of conduct: "THEY ARE CORRUPT!! GET RID OF THEM!!!!"

I've never understood news networks who do this. Sure, the guy is a crook, but how can you sleep at night knowing you just put somebody out of employment on a stupid little investigation? Theft happens everywhere, big whoop.

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

#10 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

In an industry of Policing, Security, Surveillance or Investigations, once you fail on a test of integrity, it is not something that you can rebuild. The value of an item (in this case, the iPad) is irrelevant. Not only will this man be fired for cause, he will likely have a very tough time finding a job with any sort of authority, and for good reason.

#11 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

In an industry of Policing, Security, Surveillance or Investigations, once you fail on a test of integrity, it is not something that you can rebuild. The value of an item (in this case, the iPad) is irrelevant. Not only will this man be fired for cause, he will likely have a very tough time finding a job with any sort of authority, and for good reason.

he can be a parking lot security guard with jimayo

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#12 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Good ol' TSA :picard:

Edited by Jagermeister, 28 September 2012 - 12:57 AM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#13 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

I am sure you would think differently if it was YOUR iPad. And what if it was something irreplaceable like your wedding ring.

Actually in such a situation, he should NOT be given a chance because it is a matter of trust. It is likely not the first time he stole something. Who knows how much stuff he stole before getting caught.

#14 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,547 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

Are you kidding me?! So just because it's an iPad it's ok?

As for it being for his kid... who cares! Maybe he should think about the consequences of his actions and putting food on the table instead of a stupid gift. People in these positions know the risks and consequences of his actions and does not deserve a 2nd chance. He only has himself to blame if he ends up on the streets, no sympathy here.

I understand that where I work that if I get caught stealing, I'll never work in my industry again and the charge will follow me for life. I don't care what the reward might be, it far outways the risk of losing my house and everything I own.

qrak1x.jpg

#15 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:39 AM

We're not talking about stealing food to feed your starving family - that's a whole philosophical debate in itself.

We're talking about stealing a luxury item while in a uniform that is supposed to value integrity - http://www.tsa.gov/a...and-core-values. Where is the integrity in this former officer?

#16 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

Owned, and glad the moron was fired.

#17 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Love the denial.

#18 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I am sure you would think differently if it was YOUR iPad. And what if it was something irreplaceable like your wedding ring.

Actually in such a situation, he should NOT be given a chance because it is a matter of trust. It is likely not the first time he stole something. Who knows how much stuff he stole before getting caught.

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

#19 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

Posted Image

.. except.. that rant would make sense until you actually saw the video, what this guy's house looks like, and his evident financial situation, which would reflect nothing of what you just described.

The fact that a person cannot afford everything they want is no justification for stealing, if there's any bad reflection upon society it's justification for one person stealing overpriced plastic and transistors from another person. If this person needed things they'd steal something they need, not something they don't. They'd also likely have the balls not to blame their wife when caught. But I guess they were forced to do that too.. damn society.

Edited by zaibatsu, 28 September 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#20 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

.. except.. that rant would make sense until you actually saw the video, what this guy's house looks like, and his evident financial situation, which would reflect nothing of what you just described.

The fact that a person cannot afford everything they want is no justification for stealing, if there's any bad reflection upon society it's justification for one person stealing overpriced plastic and transistors from another person. If this person needed things they'd steal something they need, not something they don't. They'd also likely have the balls not to blame their wife when caught. But I guess they were forced to do that too.. damn society.

You do realize things can be sold for money right? An IPad is as good as $300, which could be used to buy food or pay a mortgage. Sure, maybe this guy is just a dick and wanted an IPad. All I'm saying is you don't know his situation.

Sure he owns a home that looks pretty decent, but it doesn't mean he can't be desperate too.

My point about society is that the bigger the gap becomes between rich and poor, the more stuff you're going to see like this. This may not be the best example of it, because like I said we don't know this guy's situation. But the sad reality is, there are alot of people hurting in the US right now that are only going to get more desperate as things start to get worse.

Edited by D-Bo7, 28 September 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#21 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

You do realize things can be sold for money right? An IPad is as good as $300, which could be used to buy food or pay a mortgage. Sure, maybe this guy is just a dick and wanted an IPad. All I'm saying is you don't know his situation.

Sure he owns a home that looks pretty decent, but it doesn't mean he can't be desperate too.

My point about society is that the bigger the gap becomes between rich and poor, the more stuff you're going to see like this. This may not be the best example of it, because like I said we don't know this guy's situation. But the sad reality is, there are alot of people hurting in the US right now that are only going to get more desperate as things start to get worse.

Crime in the US has overall steadily been going down, as has theft of all types except burglary.. the only reason we may see more of it is in an overall aspect, not a per capita aspect, because there are more people and because the news reports local crimes so often nationally.

Using the story of a well-off TSA guard who lives in a nice house as a soap box for poor people stealing out of need is.. wow, that's all I can say.

#22 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

I cannot believe there are people in this thread actually defending the thief!

Stealing is a crime. He should be prosecuted, let alone fired.

Honestly, give your head a shake if you believe this idiot should keep his job.

What's the point of having bonded employees if you don't fire thieves in their midst.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#23 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yeah... no.

#24 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

This is silly, you can't justify someone in a position of authority stealing from the people he was paid to serve.  This is an absolute, black and white scenario.  No shades of grey here.  If he is not paid enough, then take it up with his employer/union.Your attitude towards this concerns me almost as much as the thief in the story.  Apathy towards such crimes only leads to further acceptance of more serious transgressions in the future (think about the attitude towards corruption in other countries where it is considered part of life, do you want to live in a society like that?).  He is a government employee earning a living that is better than most people on earth can ever hope for.

#25 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

You're just Aladeening with us right?
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#26 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

And those looters in the riot were stealing men's pants to feed their family, right?

#27 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Its about principles and ethics. Its about having a moral compass and being a professional. TSA agents are supposed to be a trusted figure in public just like pharmacists or doctors. I would be pissed off if some scum bag TSA agent stole my iPad from my luggage. These guys handle our personal items and valuables and we are supposed to trust them. If they can't be trusted, then why would I even let them pat me down or check my luggage. If you resort to stealing then you should be left on the streets without a job. Everyone can make a harmless mistake but some of these "mistakes" are unforgivable since the individual knows what he is doing.

How you go about doing something is as important as what you end up doing. If you use illegal mean to accomplish a legal and even desirable result, the good result does not make the bad means you used justifiable. "The ends don't justify the means" is the classical saying, and there is a lot of philosophical debate about how far this can go. The current debate is whether it is okay to torture somebody if you end up saving people's lives.

Edited by Pouria, 28 September 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

He will probably have a tough time finding A job, never mind a job with any sort of authority. Who in their right mind would want to hire a thieve?

Posted Image

#29 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

What friggin A**holes
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-G4HATiC8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNO-AzPxS4U

Good ol' TSA :picard:

If TSA wants to pat me down, I will just take off all my clothing and go naked through the screening process. Then it would be their prerogative to pat me down. I would be naked and wouldn't be hiding anything.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.