The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ABC News Tracks Missing iPad To Florida Home of TSA Officer

Grapefruits

Just saw this on the news, what an idiot. The look on his face when ABC busted him was hilarious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the existence of GPS tracking applications for security, criminals still think they can get away with mobile devices.

Detailed extensively in an investigative sting operation conducted by ABC News, an Florida-based TSA agent named Andy Ramirez was caught with a iPad stolen from the security line at the Orlando International Airport. In an attempt to test the honesty of TSA agents at ten major airports around the United States, ABC News representatives “accidentally” left their iPad at the security checkpoint. Each iPad had a case that displayed the owner’s name and phone number. At nine of the ten airports, TSA agents correctly followed procedure and contacted the owner of the tablet. In addition, ABC News representatives tested sending checked bags containing cash and an iPad through security, but nothing was stolen from any suitcase at all ten airports.

Regarding the iPad that went missing, ABC News secretly filmed Ramirez handling the iPad at the security checkpoint. Two hours later, representatives used Apple’s Find My iPad application to track the location of the expensive tablet to Ramirez’s home.

Over two weeks later, ABC News sent reporter Brian Ross and a camera crew to Ramirez’s home. Catching Ramirez outside in his TSA uniform, Ross introduced himself and asked Ramirez about the missing iPad. Despite showing Ramirez the current GPS location of the iPad on another tablet, Ramirez denied that the iPad was located within his home.

Ross then used the Find My iPad sound feature that overrides the volume or silent setting on the tablet to activate a loud alarm. After hearing the tablet inside the home, Ramirez retrieved the iPad and blamed his wife for stealing the tablet. Ramirez said “My wife said she got the iPad and brought it home.” Ross disputed his claim by bringing up the footage taken at the security checkpoint, but Ramirez refused to answer any more questions and closed the door.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Ramirez was no longer employed by the Transportation Security Administration. Regarding the incident, a TSA representative stated that the organization has “a zero-tolerance policy for theft and terminates any employee who is determined to have stolen from a passenger.”

However, this isn’t the first time that a TSA agent has been busted for stealing electronics or other valuables from passenger luggage. In a similar case during February 2012, police at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport arrested 31-year-old Clayton Keith Dovel after using Find My iPad tracking to locate eight stolen iPads at Dovel’s home. Dovel was a TSA baggage inspector at the Dallas airport.

Also during February 2012, a 31-year-old, New York based TSA agent named Alexandra Schmid was arrested for stealing $5,000 in cash from a passenger’s jacket. After wrapping the cash within a plastic glove, Schmid was filmed taking the money into a bathroom to pass it off to an unknown person. Shortly after the incident Schmid was arrested for grand larceny. During July 2011, TSA agent Nelson Santiago-Serrano at another Florida airport was arrested after authorities discovered an iPad shoved into his pants. His arrest led to the discovery of $50,000 dollars of additional stolen electronics during his employment period with the TSA.

Well, 1 out of 10 isn`t a trend. I don`t believe that the TSA employs thieves or the average agent is anything less than reputable. It could be an isolated anomaly.

I am glad that stings like this exist to weed out the scumbags. While a brief tarnish on their reputations, these will strengthen their organization.

Interesting.

TSA agent breaches code of conduct: "oh, it doesn't reflect the entire force".

RCMP officer breaches code of conduct: "THEY ARE CORRUPT!! GET RID OF THEM!!!!"

I've never understood news networks who do this. Sure, the guy is a crook, but how can you sleep at night knowing you just put somebody out of employment on a stupid little investigation? Theft happens everywhere, big whoop.

Interesting.

TSA agent breaches code of conduct: "oh, it doesn't reflect the entire force".

RCMP officer breaches code of conduct: "THEY ARE CORRUPT!! GET RID OF THEM!!!!"

I've never understood news networks who do this. Sure, the guy is a crook, but how can you sleep at night knowing you just put somebody out of employment on a stupid little investigation? Theft happens everywhere, big whoop.

In an industry of Policing, Security, Surveillance or Investigations, once you fail on a test of integrity, it is not something that you can rebuild. The value of an item (in this case, the iPad) is irrelevant. Not only will this man be fired for cause, he will likely have a very tough time finding a job with any sort of authority, and for good reason.

In an industry of Policing, Security, Surveillance or Investigations, once you fail on a test of integrity, it is not something that you can rebuild. The value of an item (in this case, the iPad) is irrelevant. Not only will this man be fired for cause, he will likely have a very tough time finding a job with any sort of authority, and for good reason.

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

I am sure you would think differently if it was YOUR iPad. And what if it was something irreplaceable like your wedding ring.

Actually in such a situation, he should NOT be given a chance because it is a matter of trust. It is likely not the first time he stole something. Who knows how much stuff he stole before getting caught.

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

ihugthatfeel.png

.. except.. that rant would make sense until you actually saw the video, what this guy's house looks like, and his evident financial situation, which would reflect nothing of what you just described.

The fact that a person cannot afford everything they want is no justification for stealing, if there's any bad reflection upon society it's justification for one person stealing overpriced plastic and transistors from another person. If this person needed things they'd steal something they need, not something they don't. They'd also likely have the balls not to blame their wife when caught. But I guess they were forced to do that too.. damn society.

Archived