The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calling in sick to work

key2thecup

Damn I just started a new gig, nothing fancy, a warehouse position..

2nd week in and I caught the flu, So I had to take Thurs and now Fri off to rest.

I have the doc's note and confirmation of my illness, however I still felt uncomfortable calling in 2 days sick on my 2nd week...

What do you guys think? Will I get canned?

I'm lucky when it comes to this. When calling in sick there is a set of guidlines. You have 8 sick occurrences every 6 months. An occurrence is 1 day but with a doctors note it can be up to 7 days. Once an occurrence is 6 months old, it drops off your record.

Plus when calling in sick, we call a sick line that is outsourced to the Philipines and they aren't allowed to ask what the sickness is. Violation of privacy or something.

Example:

I'm sick... 1 day off... no note = 1 occurrence

I'm sick... 3 days off... no note = 3 occurrences

I'm sick... 3 days off... doctor's note = 1 occurence

Family days are completely seperate

Damn I just started a new gig, nothing fancy, a warehouse position..

2nd week in and I caught the flu, So I had to take Thurs and now Fri off to rest.

I have the doc's note and confirmation of my illness, however I still felt uncomfortable calling in 2 days sick on my 2nd week...

What do you guys think? Will I get canned?

I'm lucky when it comes to this. When calling in sick there is a set of guidlines. You have 8 sick occurrences every 6 months. An occurrence is 1 day but with a doctors note it can be up to 7 days. Once an occurrence is 6 months old, it drops off your record.

Plus when calling in sick, we call a sick line that is outsourced to the Philipines and they aren't allowed to ask what the sickness is. Violation of privacy or something.

Example:

I'm sick... 1 day off... no note = 1 occurrence

I'm sick... 3 days off... no note = 3 occurrences

I'm sick... 3 days off... doctor's note = 1 occurence

Family days are completely seperate

I personally hate the whole Dr. note thing. Who the frack needs to go to the doctor every time they get a cold/flu? What are they going to tell you that you haven't heard before? Drink lots of fluids, get rest, acetaminophen...yadda, yadda. I mean sure if you're VERY sick and or for longer than a few days without improvement, sure.

And we wonder why our medical system is fracked/Dr.'s are booked up the wazoo/you can't get in to clinics.

I got fired from my job in Calgary for calling in sick, I had worked there for 5 months (well past the 90 day probationary period) and called in sick one Tuesday (TUESDAY!) and didn't go back in until Friday. I was legitimately sick. Doctors note, pictures, everything! I also went back on a FRIDAY. Of all days...anyway, soon as I walk in the door my crazy boss called me into her office and gave me the boot.

I doubt you'll suffer the same fate, but bosses can be unpredictable. Good luck!

I got fired from my job in Calgary for calling in sick, I had worked there for 5 months (well past the 90 day probationary period) and called in sick one Tuesday (TUESDAY!) and didn't go back in until Friday. I was legitimately sick. Doctors note, pictures, everything! I also went back on a FRIDAY. Of all days...anyway, soon as I walk in the door my crazy boss called me into her office and gave me the boot.

I doubt you'll suffer the same fate, but bosses can be unpredictable. Good luck!

When I worked at Safeway they made me bring in doctors notes even for missing like one day and gave me lectures about calling in sick and accused me of faking because I tried to give my shift away to someone so they weren't stuck without anyone to cover my shift. I called in sick like 2 times in a year at frickin Safeway!

So next time I got sick I just quit so I didn't have to deal with them and they kept calling me to come back to work for them cuz I was one of the better employees. ;)

Archived