The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bieksa and Hamhuis surprise Midget Triple-A team in North Van with workout, Q&A sessions

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Ha, my son and I were just talking a couple of days ago about the whole lock out thing and I commented that I really wished some of the players would do stuff like this ("surprise young players with a drop in") with their free time.  My son scoffed at my suggestion, but I guess great minds (like me & KB) think alike.  What a thrill for these players.

Hugh:  I know you're on a roll, but try to add something to the discussion besides just being a wet blanket, ok?

Meaningless? Actually, to a 15 year old kid, this could have a huge impact and is likely quite meaningful.

But I suppose they could just spend their spare time ragging on the internet, like some of us? Talk about meaningless antics....

It was a blast for the kids. One of the dads there told me only a few kids saw Bieksa and Hamhuis when they walked into the rink and one started running down the benches to try to check out the dressing room. When Bieksa swung his leg over the boards to join them, some of the kids were jumping up and down.

These guys are an inspiration and they are certainly role models. For kids hoping to have some kind of future in hockey - whatever that might be - throwing a bit of "magic powder" their way is an experience they will never forget. They have photos and video (if we could ever get it off the PVR) and I think they are still smiling.

The players have time to give back. Some of these kids never get to see them play in person. Others are lucky enough to get to some games, but to be on the same ice? Cue the Mastercard commercial.

Great stuff,

That would be a awesome treat for those kids, I know I would love it and it would be quite a big deal.

However, I do have to say if they ran that one on one drill 10 times I bet you the 15 year old beats juice at least 5 times. LOL.

Look, Toots, don't take that sanctimonious, condescending, tone with me. From what I have seen on this site you appear to have no life outside of your creepy, desperate, love for these playoff-choking knuckleheads. This is nothing but a shallow PR stunt by a bunch of attention seeking media whores who are clearly fully aware of the optics of millionaires and billionaires duking it out. But that's ok, because Bieksa took a few moments out of his busy day, put his non-fat vanilla soy latte down, and yucked it up with some kids. Get real, Seacrest out!

Look, Toots, don't take that sanctimonious, condescending, tone with me. From what I have seen on this site you appear to have no life outside of your creepy, desperate, love for these playoff-choking knuckleheads. This is nothing but a shallow PR stunt by a bunch of attention seeking media whores who are clearly fully aware of the optics of millionaires and billionaires duking it out. But that's ok, because Bieksa took a few moments out of his busy day, put his non-fat vanilla soy latte down, and yucked it up with some kids. Get real, Seacrest out!

Hugh,

What kind of person calls a female "toots" now and days? except a neaderathol maybe. So 2 players go out and spend an hour with some kids and you interject with some crap about them being chokers. Unless your out there volunteering your butt out there to help some teen kids too I think your all fluff dude. And beyond that your sexist comment shows your ignorant and uneducated. Your village called and they want their idiot back.

Oh Hugh, what are YOU going to do with all your free time now?

Archived