The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

FYI - Sami Salo - 28 years old - "breakout" season in Vancouver - 9 goals, 21 assists.

Year before that at 27 - 66 games, 4 goals, 14 assists - just breaking into the league.

You're whining about Garrison being 28, but it sounds familiar doesn't it.

Such a risky move to give up Schaeffer to acquire him...

Uh, no, a great, calculated risk.

Garrison. Ditto. And being a UFA, cost no assets.

As posted earlier, I agree (strongly) that $40 mill for Erhoff would have been a mistake. I also agree Garrison appears a great signing; time will tell?

I disagree regarding Bitz and Torres. More so with Torres. You may have noticed that Phoenix's 3rd line, with raffi, had a strong ability to battle and outduel top line match up's as a defensive stopper line. And he took a suspension again, but his team with that identity had the right stuff. And having a 215 to 220 lb body with big speed and a wrecking ball mentality has its place. On face value Higgins is a better player. But we did not have that same ability to compete physically this year and it certainly had it's contribution to our demise. Bitz? His suspension was waaay lower in the scope of things. There were two real problems at play there; Kassian was really not yet fit for that spot, and Bitz was rusty coming back into a lineup from the minors to a role that should have been his in the first place. Exuberance probably played its part as (admittedly) he took a dumb penalty trying to play a physical role to show the spot was really his.

Bitz should still be around as depth (even though Kassian will surpass him right away) and we should never have given up Torres! Bernier, for example, was a bum here if u consider what we were paying him, but was very serviceable this year for Jersey at the correct rate. And did you see where his team ended up, or Pyatt? All these guys played on the edge, an edge that created winners. Boston has these guys? These sort of big guys, with enough skill to play are gold depth players at their contract value!

Erhoff is not worth 40 mil, or 18 in the first 2 years even Garth Snow knew that when he first traded for Erhoff's rights. He's a great defenseman don't get me wrong but it was more a collection of circumstances, namely a shallow free agent pool that allowed Erhoff to clean up. Matt Carle, a similar defenseman in many respects managed 33 million this past year. Erhoff was asking too much, and I was pleased when Gillis walked away.

Garrison is a young defensive defenseman with a huge offensive outbreak last season. If you were to watch his highlights you would see he has a bomb of a shot that will score regardless of his defensive partner. Defenseman mature later that forwards, especially since Garrison was never drafted and played college for 4 years only making his professional career possible at 22.

I also liked that Gillis didn't sign Torres, or Bitz for the same matter. These are guys that took multi game suspensions in the playoffs, costly penalties in deciding games. The last thing any coach wants is to worry about refs making calls directed towards notorious offenders.

Lots of arguing here, like the passion and fire, what I have trouble accepting is Gillis low balling serviceable d men- Salo, Mitchell, Erhoff, but yet we keep Keith Balllllllaaaaard!!

WTF

I'm aware of Mitchell's injury situation, but Gillis low balled him, and new Mitchell wouldn't sign and went and traded grabner, 1st (Howden-who i don't give a crap about, but that's besides the point) for Ballard (yes bernier was included too).

So in order to keep Ballard on our team, we have lost:

Salo

Mitchell

1st round pick

Grabner

Erhoff

Holy crap, why is this madness continuing?

Where does Ballard fit in in our "payroll"

Algorithm??? If Bieksa is 4.6, shouldn't Ballard at 4.2 be contributing at a similar level.

All the attention to the Wolve prospects could be because the new CBA will most likely include a drastically reduced cap. In order to ice a team within the cap, we might see a few more prospects on the team out of necessity.

I hope that all the attention results in a few prospects being a lot better at training camp when the new CBA gets signed.

Yeah, he went to play for a championship team is not a slight on the Canucks but this is such a lame point I keep seeing. This is what hockey players say when they go to new teams. It's posturing and happens all the time. In no way, shape, or form, was he really suggesting that he left Van to go to a better team so just drop it guys.

He is of German decent, doesn't speak great English, it's a just a press bite.

The Kings took a gamble cuz Willie was coming off a concussion.

But his salary was $3.6 mill, hardly overpaying! Turned good value if we're being fair?

We lost Mitchell because LA took a gamble and overpaid. It just so happens that gamble paid off.

Clearly MG is a more conservative GM than his reputation would say.

If Hoff really wanted a championship, why didn't he take less money and play for say Pittsburgh? Buffalo is a long way off of being a cup favorite.

He signed a month and half or so after July 1, because he was cleared to play at that time by my memory. So the risk was future injury which does occur with head injuries.

But while your on the IR the cap hit is $0.

At our end, the risk was missing out on Hamhuis or (gulp) Ballard July 1 long before he was cleared to play. Ultimately we lost that risk, but I probably would have done the same as Gillis did at the time had opportunities been the same.

If he sits the rest of the season like Pronger... you think 3.6mil cap hit will be good? You can't just look at the best outcome and then ignore all the possibilities that the worst could've happened.

Archived