The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

Hodgson was the 10th overall pick, the CHL Player of the Year, the Hockey News' Top Prospect, won all kinds of accolades as voted by the OHL coaches, was the top point-getter at the '09 WJC's, and I believe he was our team's 2nd or 3rd leading goal scorer at the time of being traded. In the context of a year where we could win a Cup, trading him for Zack Kassian, who watched us be eliminated by LA while eating a hotdog in the press box, was not a wise move.

Garrison was undrafted, got a spot on Florida because they stunk, and he was cheap, and then had a breakout season when Brian Campbell arrived.

Totally different.

Lu's contract isn't the problem. The problem is that he controls where he ends up. Because of that, we have very little leverage.

10 years isn't ideal, no, but give me Ehrhoff @ $4M per year for 10 years over Garrison @ $4.6M for 6 years, any day of the week.

Have to disagree here - Ehrhoff over Garrison? Sorry but I'll take the 6'2 218lb defenceman who had 127 hits at $4.6 mil over the 6'2 203lb defenceman who when he played a full season here had 54 hits any day of the week. Problem with the Canuck defence is we have to many defencemen who play the run and gun style like Ehrhoff and not enough physical D - its my biggest knock against Edler - he needs to use his size more often - maybe go to the Ulf Samuelson summer hockey school and learn to get nasty :D

Hodgson was the 10th overall pick, the CHL Player of the Year, the Hockey News' Top Prospect, won all kinds of accolades as voted by the OHL coaches, was the top point-getter at the '09 WJC's, and I believe he was our team's 2nd or 3rd leading goal scorer at the time of being traded. In the context of a year where we could win a Cup, trading him for Zack Kassian, who watched us be eliminated by LA while eating a hotdog in the press box, was not a wise move.

Garrison was undrafted, got a spot on Florida because they stunk, and he was cheap, and then had a breakout season when Brian Campbell arrived.

Totally different.

In any case and as per usual you're wrong and contradicting yourself to fit your argument. Hodgson had only proven himself over one year...at that one could make an argument that really he only proved himself for a little over a month. Making an argument that Hodgson is known and Garrison has only proven himself for 1 season is silly. Really you just never had much of an idea who Garrison was before he was signed.

LOL @ "only"

He was the second-leading goal-scorer on our team, at 21 years old and playing very sparsely.

In addition, it's not "silly", because Cody Hodgson wasn't signed to a 6-year, $4.6M deal, like Garrison. NOT COMPARABLE. And you're right, I didn't have much of an idea as to who Garrison is when he signed, because his career has been largely irrelevant!

Answer me this - do you like Calgary's signing of Wideman?

No pal you won't be asking me anything. Even if you last that long on here you still haven't pointed out anything that suggests Garrison will all of a sudden flop. See that's the difference between our arguments. You are certain of what's going to happen but you point to nothing to back up your "opinions".

Here let me fix this for you man so maybe it's a little more clear.

I'm not "certain" of anything, though I do believe strongly that the signing will not work out.

Anyway, this debate tires me, we've been through it far too often. Here's the gist:

You see the signing as another shrewd maneuver by the GM who can do no wrong, and since Garrison's improved in each of his 3 years in the NHL (2.5, really), continued improvement is what we should expect.

Total cash determines the cap hit, over the life of the contract. Ehrhoff's cap hit is $4.0M, which is less than Sedin's of $6.1M.

A contract being front-loaded by nature is meaningless except that it's more valuable to Ehrhoff (and nobody else) by way of having more of the cash up front. Cap hit is all that anybody should care about.

Some guys just fit well in certain places, and Ehrhoff was one of those guys here. Basically from the moment he played his first game, he was an obvious fit.

And fine, don't give him a 10-year deal. Would $5M per year over 8 years really be all that damaging? Oh no, he'd be paid more than Kevin Bieksa; who cares? He's a better player and deserves it. Look at the numbers that he put up with us. Not a lot of 50-point defencemen around the NHL.

Archived