The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

Not really, but to think that Gillis is this huge upgrade is foolish. Realistically, all Nonis had to do to keep his job was acquire Brad Richards, which would've cost us Edler & Kesler. He passed. The man did a LOT of very good things for this franchise. Also, a lot nicer of a guy than Gillis, by all accounts, too.

How is what you're saying more likely? Career-ending injuries during an NHL game are common, are they? They're not.

And Salo's "injury-proneness" is overstated. Since being a Canuck, the only time where he's had a SIGNIFICANT injury was in 2010-11, where he missed 55 games. Other than that, his lowest GP total was in 2005-06, where he still played 59 games - he basically missed 25% of the season. His injuries have largely been frequent, but not severe. And who knows how many of those injuries that he actually could've played through; Canuck management may well have been ultra-conservative.

It's a guess, yes, just like you're guessing that Dreger somehow has an axe to grind with Aquilini.

Do you remember what happened in '07-'08? We had won the division and advanced to round two of the playoffs the year before, out of nowhere. A lot of people saw us making a big step ahead that year. Things were going good, and then an epic collapse happened I believe right around the deadline and up to the close of the year, causing us to miss the playoffs.

If Nonis would've acquired Richards, which he was under heavy pressure to do, we likely would've ended up winning our division, making the playoffs, and then who knows what would've happened (Dallas, who acquired Richards, ended up going to the WCF). I find it hard to believe that Aquilini would've fired Nonis if he acquired Richards, and we ended up winning our division, yes. He would have no basis to - similar to why Gillis didn't fire AV, when he first arrived, and hasn't since - there's really no basis to it.

Nonis not acquiring Richards, or any other significant help, was the reason for his demise.

Nonis may turn out to be the greatest GM we ever had , simply by REFUSING to trade Kesler , Edler and our first second and third for Brad Richards.

But then again, I still say Richards was never actually going to waive to come to vancouver. Nonis was being played to get a better deal from Dallas.

It's a guess, yes, just like you're guessing that Dreger somehow has an axe to grind with Aquilini.

Do you remember what happened in '07-'08? We had won the division and advanced to round two of the playoffs the year before, out of nowhere. A lot of people saw us making a big step ahead that year. Things were going good, and then an epic collapse happened I believe right around the deadline and up to the close of the year, causing us to miss the playoffs.

If Nonis would've acquired Richards, which he was under heavy pressure to do, we likely would've ended up winning our division, making the playoffs, and then who knows what would've happened (Dallas, who acquired Richards, ended up going to the WCF). I find it hard to believe that Aquilini would've fired Nonis if he acquired Richards, and we ended up winning our division, yes. He would have no basis to - similar to why Gillis didn't fire AV, when he first arrived, and hasn't since - there's really no basis to it.

Nonis not acquiring Richards, or any other significant help, was the reason for his demise.

And you would be correct.

Putting on my 20/20 hindsight GM glasses, I see that not signing Brunnstrom was a very good thing. The guy had a whole lot of flash and not a lot of bang. Perhaps the only significant down-side to the Canucks not getting Brunnstrom is that Gillis could likely have gotten a lot more for him than Dallas when they finally traded him away.

Might Brunnstrom have been a more productive player had he played with the Canucks and been on the ice with the Sedins? Sure. Lots of guys have played with the Sedins (forwards and d-men) and have looked a lot better than what they really were (eg. Carter, Ehrhoff).

regards,

G.

And what makes you assume Richards would have caused the Canucks to win the division? That is noob-think. Without the players that would have gone the other way - and evidently Feaster was asking too much (ie Kesler and Edler) - the Canucks were going nowhere in a hurry anyhow.

I'm relieved Nonis had the sense to say no to that deal. Not surprised however that you have your short term 7.8 millon dollar star-blinders on, and assume Richards would have improved the team. That would have been a disastrous move.

Uh-huh.

What happened to Dallas when they got him? 5th seed Stars take out 4th seed Cup-defending Anaheim Ducks in round 1, and then take out 2nd seed big, bad San Jose. Lose to the Cup-winning Wings in 6 in the WCF.

But yes, I'm sure Richards did nothing to help with this. The fact that he had both won a Cup and a Conn Smythe in his past, and contributed 15 points in 18 games in those playoffs with Dallas, were not material in their run (which was longer than anywhere that the Canucks have gotten in all but 3 of their 42 years of existence).

It's a long shot but do you care to back up your *ahem* opinion?

Compare our current bottom 6 to what we had in the nonis era. Even by NHL standards now this teams bottom 6 is very good but feel free to actually prove me wrong.

I'm so glad you were able to find your way back. How many of these things do you have anyways? If only there was some sort of address on the internet...if only...

Archived