The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

It isn't about letting the hoff walk...it's about a salary cap and staying competitive in that structure. He wanted a ton o money and signing him to it might have meant losing Edler or burrows, or maybe some of depth the team has. Maybe unloading Ballard and finding a way to keep him would have been better but it certainly wasn't a horrible decision.

$7 - $7.5M for Alex Edler maybe if he was a UFA this year and there was some really desperate, crazy team who values him as high as Ryan Suter. But I would call that unlikely. He's not at the level of a Suter, or a Weber. At $6 - $6.5, there would've been a lot of interest, I would think.

It doesn't matter what the Kesler's or the Sedin's would've got this year, because their deals were signed in 2011 and 2009. Different contexts. And at the time of signing, not a lot of people were saying "hometown discount".

And you really think that Jason Garrison could've got $6M+ this summer? Really? You really think that 28 year-old Jason Garrison, who's basically signing his first NHL contract worth any notable amount of money, chose to play in Vancouver at an amount that's 25% less than what he could've got elsewhere? I call that total BS, and impossible to believe. If he received a higher offer, it would've almost definitely been from some perennial dog like Long Island, and maybe for $50 - $100K more than what we gave him.

I agree with this. I liked Erhoff's points but he clearly was chasing the cheddar and could care less about being on a team to win the cup. So is that the type of player you really want on your team? And Im sure MG would have signed him before trading him if he could. He found out that Erhoff wanted a payoff, so he traded him for a pick before losing him for nothing. As for Edler, I would like to keep him but if he wants to be greedy let him do it elsewhere and maybe package him with Luongo for a massive deal.

May Ray I ignore you because you make next to little sense.

Ehrhoff played in the post season with an injured shoulder while Bieksa was injury free until game 5 of the SCF.

Anson Carter played defense,did he?

Maybe he and Gragnani can team up in la la land.

May Ray I ignore you because you make next to little sense.

Ehrhoff played in the post season with an injured shoulder while Bieksa was injury free until game 5 of the SCF.

Anson Carter played defense,did he?

Maybe he and Gragnani can team up in la la land.

Edler would get 6.5 m and up on the open market. However, I don't think hes worth that.

He is one of the Canucks that have over inflated stats because of the team he plays on and the role he plays within the team.

He makes the occasional bone headed mistakes whereas guys like Hamhuis are MUCH more reliable.

His inconsistency is what bothers me. I don't see him as a bona fide top 2 D-man. He's more of a Solid 3-4 D-man who can fill in in the top 2 when needed. We can say its because he's still young but that's not really the case.

His last 3 seasons, he's avg 0.55 pts / game, 0.65 pts/game and last year 0.60 pts per game.

We thought with the loss of Ehrhoff, he would take over and add more points but we can see that the last 3 years have been about the same. We've already seen his upside. What you see is what you get.

He'll do great things like step up and make a huge hit like he did to Kane and Doughty but then he'll also make mistakes which will lead to bad goals.

I think his hype could be used to our advantage and we can trade him while his value is high and get a better return

I would offer somewhere between 5-5.5 depending on contract length and if he wants more, I would honestly rather trade him.

If I was going to sign him for 6m and up, I would rather trade him

Bieksa is a finance major.He knew what he was being offered was more than fair.

Ehrhoff is in a different league than Bieksa but Gillis offered Ehrhoff Bieksa money and Ehrhoff refused the insult.

Bieksa:

2009-2010 55GP 3G 19A 22PTS -5

2010-2011 66GP 6G 16A 22PTS + 32

Ehrhoff:

2009 -2010 80GP 14G 30A 44PTS +36

2010-2011 79GP 14 G 36A 50PTS +19

No Ehrhoff,no Salo,no Edler = No power play.

You got that right. Ehrhoff doesn't play physical, avoids a fight and I cannot even imagine what a disaster he would be in a shutdown role. Bieksa can do all those things and still put up 40+ points without the benfit of Sedin PP time. They are in different leagues indeed.

Garrett had three higher offers and signed early with us. Had he waited even a day, he would have had a bidding war. The 6m range is about right for a 40+ point d-man on the open market. Like Hamhuis, Garrett simply wanted to play here and took considerably less to do it. He took around 20% less than he could have had on the open market. Just as Hamhuis did. Two years ago hockey analysts estimated Hamhuis in the 5.5 to 6m range. They are considerably more objective than Canuck fans and more often than not right in the ballpark. The Canucks have been very lucky with several of their contracts.

Archived