The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

Which says a great deal about your lack of vision.

Ehrhoff is under contract until he's 40 while Garrett is under contract to 34. See a difference? Garrett hits, blocks shots and put up 40+ points on a team that lacks talent even close to the Sedins. I'd say MG got a deal. You simply can't see past your own personal biases.

Kesler (diving) - there was no list. just a discussion. the purpose is to make the game easier to officiate. everyone felt strongly but all kinds of players embellish. he came up because they showed a clip that he happened to be on. I was supportive of it, it has gotten out of hand in a lot of cases and it's time to reign it in.

Bieksa is currently our ONLY legit NHL right side D with a right side shot and an NHL body (which discounts Tanev).

Let's not over rate him; just simply point out how important it was to re-sign KB3! $4.6 is probably a pretty fair cap hit for Bieksa (he did score 39 points and play a top defensive pairing role).

Deals? Kevin got $6 or $7 mill his first year in the $23 mill deal. So maybe discount is also excessive. But its far better value than $40 mill for Erhoff, regardless of cap hit. Erhoff would have helped us win last year and this (next ? :huh: ). But we would had to have pulled a Philly (or Lou) and traded him with 8 years left in his deal. You can over pay and succesfully unload a contract as Philly has? That type of contract is a risk. Or you can get stuck, like with Souray, Dipietro, Huet, Redden, Yashin, even Pronger is still owed $20 mill! I'm willing to bet Erhoff's deal will not end well!

Neither signing Bieka nor loosing Erhoff are examples of mistakes by Gillis.

Bieksa took a discount? Again, maybe, but I'm not convinced that a lot of other teams would've been lining up to give him a 5-year, $23M deal. IMO, he's clearly the most overrated Canuck on the roster. If he had the personality of Aaron Rome, he'd be half as popular.

.And you're again bringing up a deal where, at the time of signing, it was not a "discount". Mike Gillis took a gamble on Burrows, when he signed. That was his breakout year, and Gillis gave him a 4-year deal under the presumption that the breakout would continue. In this case, he was right, and it was a great contract. But again, at the time, it was a gamble. Prior to that year, and even during most of that year, he was firmly entrenched on the bottom-six.

As for Ehrhoff, and your "see how it turned out for him so far" comment, his team only played 5 less games than the Vancouver Canucks did, so I guess it's been a flop for both sides, no?

Did these players not make a choice? I'm not blaming them at all. I'm simply pointing out that they made the choice.

MG promised Salo he'd sign him to one year deals as long as he wanted to play. Salo CHOSE to go to Tampa for a two year guarantee. His CHOICE.

MG offered Ehrhoff a fair deal that fit in with the other d-men. Ehrhoff CHOSE to go for more money.

That's not laying blame, it's the simple truth.

MG chose not to overpay Ehrhoff.

MG chose not to risk the injury prone Salo retiring after one year and leaving a year against the cap.

It's choices. Every GM makes them as does every player. It's not like MG refused to talk to them.

No,Baggins.

Gillis over paid Bieksa and low balled Ehrhoff.Ehrhoff makes near double what Bieksa makes in the first two years of his contract.

That is a hose job and insult not a respectable offer.

Gillis low balled Sami and Sami took the best offer elsewhwre.

Players get hosed by the NHL and the players sometimes have to take the best deal offered.

Your version of the truth is not reality.

No,Baggins.

Gillis over paid Bieksa and low balled Ehrhoff.Ehrhoff makes near double what Bieksa makes in the first two years of his contract.

That is a hose job and insult not a respectable offer.

Gillis low balled Sami and Sami took the best offer elsewhwre.

Players get hosed by the NHL and the players sometimes have to take the best deal offered.

Your version of the truth is not reality.

Not only that but the point Baggins makes on Ehrhoff's contract is baseless/incorrect.It is structured insomuch he gets paid up front and the final 3 years of his Buffalo contract will not be played or paid.

Adtually,he could play only six years and collect $34 million or play seven years and collect $37 million.

WHAT?!?!?

You're telling me that you think there's a team out there that offered Garrison (Jason Garrett is the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, by the way) a 6-year deal, at $5.5M per?!? The term is critical - on a 1 or a 2-year deal, sure, maybe. But over 6 years, $5.5M per? Is that what you're actually saying?!?

BTW - Garrison broke the 30-point barrier this year, for the first time in his short NHL career. He is not a "40+ point" defenceman.

Good take.

He could be used along with Luongo to get quite the package out of Toronto, if Luongo would actually waive his NTC to go there, which I personally find difficult to believe.

I'd love to bring Phaneuf to Vancouver, personally, though I'd think that the odds of getting him out of Toronto would be very low.

Well, I'm sticking to one of the following two stories:

• A pure fabrication

• "More" money was immaterial, and certainly not even in the same ballpark as the 20% that you alluded to

It's not relevant. As fans, all that we should care about in a cap environment is cap hit. Of course the deal differs if it's for 4 years or if it's for 12. I acknowledge that. But whoever gets paid more up front, or however much they're earning in the last 2 years, whatever, not relevant.

Well, I'm sticking to one of the following two stories:

• A pure fabrication

• "More" money was immaterial, and certainly not even in the same ballpark as the 20% that you alluded to

It's not relevant. As fans, all that we should care about in a cap environment is cap hit. Of course the deal differs if it's for 4 years or if it's for 12. I acknowledge that. But whoever gets paid more up front, or however much they're earning in the last 2 years, whatever, not relevant.

Archived