The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

yah, I really appreciate it when you guys write summaries of these things, 'cause I often miss them, so thanks a lot strombone1.

Gillis is the best GM this team has had in years, he has helped turn this into a first class organization from top to bottom.

Hodgson - The debate about the hodgson situation will always be there, but really none of us has any idea of the true story. Hodgson seemed to have a unique sense of entitlement which I think contradicted a lot of the team-first, potential captain hype he was getting. I think this confused a lot of people into thinking we were getting the next Trevor Linden, when in fact Linden is the kind of guy that would have worked hard at whatever roll he was given and proven beyond a doubt he earned his time. My opinion on the matter is that Hodgson didn't want to be in Van. Gillis managed to keep this mostly under wraps up until the point the kid was traded. If this managed to get out, it would have destroyed Hodgsons value, much like the situation that we're in with Luongo right now. He took a deal with the most potential to fill an organizational need, the power forward we've always wanted. Kassian isn't that guy right now, but he really does have the potential to be. Give him 3 years to mature, then judge this trade. And remember, some players take a bit longer than others to develop, most notably our current conquering heroes Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Schultz/Doan/Weber etc. - Out of all the other teams, Gillis had Van in the running right down to the wire on these deals, thats the only reason they're debated now. The reason he has the Canucks in the running on all these deals is because he makes Vancouver look like an attractive option.

Edler - He's either posturing to get a better deal done with Edler, or preparing us for the very slight possibility that Edler gets traded, or both. Don't get your panties in a bunch yet though, because if the unthinkable happened, and Edler had to be traded, it would be for a kings ransom. It would still suck, but life would go on.

Ehrhoff - clearly in it for the money, I'm not judging, just saying. The choice was probably to sign Ehrhoff for a shorter term, very lucrative contract, that would have went over the internal cap that has helped us sign players like Hamhuis and Garrison for decent money, or be roped in to another long term contract. The deal simply couldn't be done. At least he managed to get anything at all in a 4th rounder, when many teams UFAs walk for absolutely nothing.

Can you blame him?

He'd probably get 6 - 6.5 on the open market, which is 30 - 40% higher than that amount. Can we really expect someone to do that for the benefit of playing for the Canucks? This whole "hometown discount" thing is really non-existent, anyway, except in Hamhuis' case. And Hamhuis made it very obvious that the first factor was coming home to BC, with money being a distant ancillary factor. Daniel & Henrik maybe would've made a bit more back in 2009 if they signed with Toronto, but not much, and certainly not even close to 30 - 40% more. When Kesler signed, a lot thought the amount was too high. Same with Luongo. They may look like "discounts" now, but they need to be evaluated in the context of when they were signed.

Can you blame him?

He'd probably get 6 - 6.5 on the open market, which is 30 - 40% higher than that amount. Can we really expect someone to do that for the benefit of playing for the Canucks? This whole "hometown discount" thing is really non-existent, anyway, except in Hamhuis' case. And Hamhuis made it very obvious that the first factor was coming home to BC, with money being a distant ancillary factor. Daniel & Henrik maybe would've made a bit more back in 2009 if they signed with Toronto, but not much, and certainly not even close to 30 - 40% more. When Kesler signed, a lot thought the amount was too high. Same with Luongo. They may look like "discounts" now, but they need to be evaluated in the context of when they were signed.

Agree with what you have said except Ballard was not able to be traded or they would have.AV certainly has not been able to use him as his injury history has hampered his involvement here,

Ehrhoff for a fourth is the joke.This guy was the offensive d man this team needed and had as a role model for Eddie.

Kept Bieksa and demanded Ehrhoff take Bieksa money.Right.Smooth move,Gillis.

Now Eddie may be taking Samulsson's advice-or is that Matthias or Sami's?

The 'hometown discount' schtick is over.

EDIT: Umm, I think Bieksa took a discount.. It's not just because you happen to be from BC, it's because they have been with the team since the start of their NHL career. (Bur for example, taking 2 mil a season back in the day was a steal in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years) :huh: Ehrhoff was different, he started out in San Jose. So I could see why the money was more of a factor, and you can see how it's turned out for him so far. :lol:

Not with a new CBA, maybe that's what MG was waiting for? lol Either way, I think he should be paid 5-5.5 mil a season if he sticks with us. He's our future star D-man, even now he's really good and very beneficial to our PP. But we'll see how it plays out, I agree with most, it would be a huge blow to our team to let him go.

EDIT: Umm, I think Bieksa took a discount.. It's not just because you happen to be from BC, it's because they have been with the team since the start of their NHL career. (Bur for example, taking 2 mil a season back in the day was a steal in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years) :huh: Ehrhoff was different, he started out in San Jose. So I could see why the money was more of a factor, and you can see how it's turned out for him so far. :lol:

I think you're off. Under the last CBA Edler would be fielding offers in the 7m range possibly as high as 7.5m. The Sedins would have been in the same range. Kesler in the 6 range and possibly to 6.5. Bieksa in the 5.5 area and Garrett could have grabbed around 6 this past summer. Most Canuck fans shoot really low on open market value because of what players have signed for to stay here. Watching what UFA's sign for with new teams around the league is a better indication of the open market value our players could have received.

Not with a new CBA, maybe that's what MG was waiting for? lol Either way, I think he should be paid 5-5.5 mil a season if he sticks with us. He's our future star D-man, even now he's really good and very beneficial to our PP. But we'll see how it plays out, I agree with most, it would be a huge blow to our team to let him go.

Bieksa is a finance major.He knew what he was being offered was more than fair.

Ehrhoff is in a different league than Bieksa but Gillis offered Ehrhoff Bieksa money and Ehrhoff refused the insult.

Bieksa:

2009-2010 55GP 3G 19A 22PTS -5

2010-2011 66GP 6G 16A 22PTS + 32

Ehrhoff:

2009 -2010 80GP 14G 30A 44PTS +36

2010-2011 79GP 14 G 36A 50PTS +19

No Ehrhoff,no Salo,no Edler = No power play.

Bieksa is a finance major.He knew what he was being offered was more than fair.

Ehrhoff is in a different league than Bieksa but Gillis offered Ehrhoff Bieksa money and Ehrhoff refused the insult.

Bieksa:

2009-2010 55GP 3G 19A 22PTS -5

2010-2011 66GP 6G 16A 22PTS + 32

Ehrhoff:

2009 -2010 80GP 14G 30A 44PTS +36

2010-2011 79GP 14 G 36A 50PTS +19

No Ehrhoff,no Salo,no Edler = No power play.

Ehrhoff was given term with his signing and an up front signing bonus payment of $8 million in year one and $5 million in year two.That is $18m in the first two years of his contract.

If it is so easy to play with the Sedin's then tell me who is playing D with them that is as capable as Ehrhoff was? Maybe that was supposed to be Gragnani?

"With Marc-Andre we have got a puck-moving defenceman who can play on the power play," general manager Mike Gillis said the day he traded for him. "He has got really good offensive skills, we feel like we have another power-play defenceman."

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz27oCmnkM0

Ehrhoff's deal is incredibly front-loaded with a $2 million salary and $8 million signing bonus in Year 1; $3 million salary, $5 million signing bonus in Year 2; $4 million in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6; $3 million in Year 7; and $1 million in Years 8, 9 and 10. The deal also features a modified no-trade clause.

And yes, Ehrhoff will make $10 million next season and $1 million in the final three years of the deal

Archived