#61 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Which is why Ehrhoff walked.

Exactly.Gillis offering Bieksa money= non sense and the market proved it with almost a 100% increase over the Gillis offer.

#62 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

I have to agree with this...Torres Lappy Hansen made that third line dangerous.

To be fair though, he wasn't let go, he chose to sign elsewhere for more money.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#63 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

You got that right. Ehrhoff doesn't play physical, avoids a fight and I cannot even imagine what a disaster he would be in a shutdown role. Bieksa can do all those things and still put up 40+ points without the benfit of Sedin PP time. They are in different leagues indeed.

What a stupid post. He's not in a shutdown role because he's not a shutdown defenceman.

The Sedin's probably wouldn't do much good in a shutdown role either, does that make them less valuable than a guy like Shawn Horcoff, who might be a more well-rounded player, in more facets?

#64 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I thought Bieska got a two hander in the San Jose series?

Might have but no injury report.

#65 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Which is why Ehrhoff walked.

You can't just say that "Ehrhoff walked". You're forgetting that MIKE GILLIS TRADED HIM. Mike Gillis made the decision to not sign Christian Ehrhoff. And it was a bad one.

#66 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,788 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Can't believe MG would let Edler go like he did with Erhoff. That was a massive mistake, especially when keith Ballards 4.2 mill was waving hello.
If we lose Edler and keep Ballard, that would be a huge blow to the team

Either Bieksa or Edler should go anyway, or drop down to the third line. Our top 4 defence should be good at ... wait for it ... defence.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#67 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

What a stupid post. He's not in a shutdown role because he's not a shutdown defenceman.
The Sedin's probably wouldn't do much good in a shutdown role either, does that make them less valuable than a guy like Shawn Horcoff, who might be a more well-rounded player, in more facets?

Exactly.
Precisely why we rarely,if ever,see Bieksa playing with the twins on first unit PP.

#68 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Correct.Seven games against Boston but he injured his shoulder in game 3 vs San Jose.
Bieksa took the Peverly two-hander in game 2 of the finals.
Ehrhoff still managed to outscore Bieksa with one hand and one shoulder.

Uhh, no. I'm pretty sure Ehrhoff only had 2 goals in 25 games and Bieksa had 5 goals, including the goal that got us to the SCF.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#69 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

To be fair though, he wasn't let go, he chose to sign elsewhere for more money.

I heard they couldnt agree on term. Not necessarily the money but the length of contract...

#70 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

You can't just say that "Ehrhoff walked". You're forgetting that MIKE GILLIS TRADED HIM. Mike Gillis made the decision to not sign Christian Ehrhoff. And it was a bad one.

Although if Ehrhoff had decided not to sign then Gillis would have to trade him. In a sense, Erhoff did walk. Assuming the rumours are correct.

#71 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Uhh, no. I'm pretty sure Ehrhoff only had 2 goals in 25 games and Bieksa had 5 goals, including the goal that got us to the SCF.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

shhhhh now he'll think you aren't making sense either then go blah blah he was injured blah blah, while he still ignores that Bieksa did better in 09-10 playoffs too but he'll ignore that

#72 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

shhhhh now he'll think you aren't making sense either then go blah blah he was injured blah blah.........

Dan Hamhuis saved Kevin Bieksa's career in Vancouver.That is no blah blah.

#73 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Exactly.Gillis offering Bieksa money= non sense and the market proved it with almost a 100% increase over the Gillis offer.

Lol, right, because a bidding war in a year when dmen are scarce in UFA, accurately reflects the value of a player.

I bet you think Mike Komisarek and Wade Redden are awesome.

Ehrhoff's minutes and points were replaced without breaking the bank. No problem there.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#74 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Although if Ehrhoff had decided not to sign then Gillis would have to trade him. In a sense, Erhoff did walk. Assuming the rumours are correct.

Although,if Gillis refused to pay Ehrhoff what he felt he was worth,Gillis effectively made Ehrhoff contemplate the other,highly lucrative offers that were presented to him.
Assuming Gillis refused to adequately pay him more than Bieksa as the reports all state,then Gillis let him go,at best, and pushed him out,at least.
50 point NHL d man for a fourth rounder.

#75 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Dan Hamhuis saved Kevin Bieksa's career in Vancouver.That is no blah blah.

The Sedins saved Ehrhoff from being called Errorhoff forever and got him a nice new contract.

#76 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Money talks.Nonsense walks.

A post I agree with. It shows that Bieksa took a discount to stay (money talks) while Ehrhoff wanted the money more than the team. Ehrhoff walked and tried to pass it off as signing with the best team to give him a chance to win the cup (nonsense walks).

If I had to make a choice between keeping Bieksa and keeping Ehrhoff, I'd keep Bieksa any day. He simply brings far more to the table without giving much up in production.
Posted Image

#77 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ehrhoff's minutes and points were replaced without breaking the bank. No problem there.

Just don't look at "playoff results", and I guess you'll be fine, sure.

#78 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Jason Garrison ring a bell? Yeah,Gragnani and Garrison are going to replace a 50 point offensive d man.
Let Salo go,let Ehrhoff go,now the Edler rumours.
Just who is going to pass the puck to our fabled offensive d men left remaining?
Wait,there are no offensive d men left if Edler goes.
So much for playing with Campbell potential players,Jason.

#79 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Honestly if we lose Edler, I will have lost complete faith in Gillis and management...
Posted Image

#80 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Actually I can say he walked, and the only reason Ehrhoff was traded was so that the Canucks didn't end with nothing knowing that he wouldn't sign here and that he was determined to go to the highest bidder.

#81 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Although,if Gillis refused to pay Ehrhoff what he felt he was worth,Gillis effectively made Ehrhoff contemplate the other,highly lucrative offers that were presented to him.
Assuming Gillis refused to adequately pay him more than Bieksa as the reports all state,then Gillis let him go,at best, and pushed him out,at least.
50 point NHL d man for a fourth rounder.

So what is Erhoff worth?

#82 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

I heard they couldnt agree on term. Not necessarily the money but the length of contract...

Sure, could have been either or both

#83 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Jason Garrison ring a bell? Yeah,Gragnani and Garrison are going to replace a 50 point offensive d man.
Let Salo go,let Ehrhoff go,now the Edler rumours.
Just who is going to pass the puck to our fabled offensive d men left remaining?
Wait,there are no offensive d men left if Edler goes.
So much for playing with Campbell potential players,Jason.

There wasn't any choice in Salo. Salo took 3.75 million. Erhoff took the big money. End of story.

We're certainly not gonna overpay. At least not to that extent.

Edited by Monteeun, 28 September 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#84 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

A post I agree with. It shows that Bieksa took a discount to stay (money talks) while Ehrhoff wanted the money more than the team. Ehrhoff walked and tried to pass it off as signing with the best team to give him a chance to win the cup (nonsense walks).

If I had to make a choice between keeping Bieksa and keeping Ehrhoff, I'd keep Bieksa any day. He simply brings far more to the table without giving much up in production.

Yeah,Bieksa does not even play with the twins on the first unit P.That is why you don't run a club,Baggins.
You can't even distinguish what type of d man Bieksa is.
Bieksa was over paid by Gillis and Ehrhoff was low balled by Gillis.
Players want to be paid adequately.That is why there is no hockey this year.
Bieksa over paid.Ehrhoff under paid.Not rocket science.

#85 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

The bolded sentence is a pure, absolute assumption. Kevin Bieksa didn't hit free agency. I wouldn't be so sure that there'd be all these teams that would be all that eager to throw 5 years and $4.6M per at a 31 year-old tweener with a charismatic personality. He's an overrated hockey player. I stand by my assertion that if he had Aaron Rome's personality, he'd be far, far less popular and relevant in the hockey world.

As for what Ehrhoff said, what the heck do you expect him to say? And BTW, I'll again remind you that Vancouver only played 5 more games than Buffalo did this year.

And I would absolutely, unequivocally, without much of a second thought choose Ehrhoff over Bieksa. And isn't it funny that money was apparently such an issue with Ehrhoff, yet 365 days later Mike Gillis throws a 6-year, $4.6M per deal Jason Garrison's way, an undrafted 28 year-old coming off of his lone decent NHL season. That's wise logic, if I've ever seen it.

#86 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

My memory of that trade was the belief that Gillis had sold out the year. In the long term there will be ample opportunity to get good value, maybe even win this trade, though Cody is more certain a very productive player. I can't escape the feeling that trade significantly lowered our chances of winning in our cup window and that the trade contributed to our poor finish.

Gillis's problem is we keep trading for the protypical perfect "guy" for our needs (think Booth as a power forward, think Ballard as a puck rushing D), but playing the wrong side of the rink for where we have a roster spot available. And why in the world we traded for Gragnani as a left D when we already had no room for Connauton. Most of Booth (a left wing) and Ballards (a left D) problems have related to the fact we slotted them both in on the right side where they are simply not as comfortable. Kassian was acquired because Hansen and Weise were our only natural right wingers for example. And the best example is accumulating goalies! We have too many goalies, too many left wing (Danny, Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Higgins, Jensen) and too many left D (Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Ballard, Connauton) but we remain lacking physical players on the right side, upfront and on D.

If you go a block too far without getting lost, you can make 3 left turns and end up in the same place as having just making the correct right turn. At least kassian will help the right side, hopefully sooner than later plus Burrows / Garrison play well offside. It's time to just balance all of the line up! So many left turns!

Gillis is the best GM this team has had in years, he has helped turn this into a first class organization from top to bottom.

Hodgson - The debate about the hodgson situation will always be there,

#87 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Actually I can say he walked, and the only reason Ehrhoff was traded was so that the Canucks didn't end with nothing knowing that he wouldn't sign here and that he was determined to go to the highest bidder.

He was not offered an adequate contract.He stated he wished to stay in Vancouver but Gillis refused to adequately compensate him.

#88 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wrong again. I am pretty certain that Long Island would've offered him more money than Buffalo did, given that they gave up a 4th round pick to negotiate with him for a few hours.

Buffalo flopped hard last year, but I would not be surprised to see them have a big turnaround season, if it ever gets going. All the elements are there. Not a weakness on that team.

#89 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

We have a winner!

And I would absolutely, unequivocally, without much of a second thought choose Ehrhoff over Bieksa. And isn't it funny that money was apparently such an issue with Ehrhoff, yet 365 days later Mike Gillis throws a 6-year, $4.6M per deal Jason Garrison's way, an undrafted 28 year-old coming off of his lone decent NHL season. That's wise logic, if I've ever seen it.

#90 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I personally believe that Gillis knows how much Edler is worth and won't lowball him with a deal that is 30-40% less than the market value. I think that Gillis will be offering him at least $5.5 million (although Gillis would probably give something like $6.2-$6.5 million)...

The problem with the contract might be the length of the deal. Gillis might not want to sign Edler to a 5+ year deal because we all saw how bad Edler can be when he isn't on his game. Who is to say Edler will remain consistent throughout all the years we signed him?
Sig too big.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.