349 replies to this topic

#121 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Giving Salo a reasonable offer at Salo's history and age is not low ball.

Your version of truth is also not realistic.

Yzerman paid him $4 million this year (with a million signing bonus) and $3.5 next season and Gillis paid him $2 million last year.
I am thinking Yzerman is not a fool to be able to run a successful NHL club and he paid Salo double what Gillis gave him last year.
http://capgeek.com/p...play.php?id=669
Salo led the Canucks in PP goals scored by a d man last year and he did it at 37 years of age in 69 games played.
Bieksa got two PP goals in 78 games.
Hamhuis got one in 82 games.
Sami scored seven PP goals and three game winners which are both more than any other Canucks D man.
Only Hank,Dan and Kes scored more PP goals and only Higgins,Clutch ,Hank and Dan scored more GWG's.
Gillis paid Sami $2 million dollars last year,which is why I stated Gillis hosed Sami.
This year's Gillis job on Sami is another issue for another day.

Edited by nuck nit, 28 September 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#122 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Goes both ways.

Ehrhoff leaves, and Henrik's goal totals drop 26%, points drop 14%. Daniel's goal totals drop 27%, point totals drop 36%.

Coincidence?

Ehrhoff was a perfect fit for this team. M-I-S-T-A-K-E to not invest in him further.

yeah he was , but it doesn't mean he isnt replaceable

your making him sound like a super star , or a freaking sedin that can only be got during a draft . hes an offensive dman we got for nothing because san jose needed cap space .

once again ill say it , he was expendable and gillis new it

so can you all at least wait till garrison has played 20 or so games in a canucks jersey to say we lost our perfect piece
Posted Image

#123 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Yzerman paid him $4 million this year (with a million signing bonus) and $3.5 next season and Gillis paid him $2 million last year.
I am thinking Yzerman is not a fool to be able to run a successful NHL club and he paid Salo double what Gillis gave him last year.
Salo led the Canucks in PP goals scored by a d man last year and he did it at 37 years of age in 69 games played.
Bieksa got two PP goals in 78 games.
Hamhuis got one in 82 games.
Sami scored seven PP goals and three game winners which are both more than any other Canucks D man.
Only Hank,Dan and Kes scored more PP goals and only Higgins,Clutch ,Hank and Dan scored more GWG's.
Gillis paid Sami $2 million dollars last year,which is why I stated Gillis hosed Sami.
This year's Gillis job on Sami is another issue for another day.

what are you talking about? the time Gillis offered Salo 2 million 1 year deal was Salo coming off a 3g 4a 7p season while only playing 27 games.

Gillis gave him more than enough $ for how he performed that season. But Gillis hosed him because Salo actually stayed healthy for a year?

Salo wanted the 2 year deal and TBL doesn't care if Salo retires after 1 and takes a hit to the cap (infact TBL may benefit more that way)

Now pretend Gillis signs Salo for 2 years and he suffers a major injury and we take the 3.75 cap hit for 2 years. way more backlash if Gillis did that

#124 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

first off , tampa hasnt had success with yzerman as there gm , second , if all it takes is a gm position to assure of someones intellect then why cant you just shut the frack up and trust gillis

pc goofs

Edited by cIutch, 28 September 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Posted Image

#125 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

The Hamhuis bit was a typo, he is a bargain and among MGs best moves
Losing Edler would be a terrible move

They won't lose Edler because once the new CBA is in place, those silly contracts will be a thing of the past, a terrific move by MG and a silly move by Edler not to sign (assuming he was offered in high four's/five) as it may come back to haunt him...stupid adivce likely from his agent, probably suggesting he could get more on the open market...and true, under the old CBA, which we know won't be in place when hockey starts again...

#126 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

In Ehrhoff's last season here he scored more game winners and more PP goals than any other Canucks d man that season.
Gillis has a way of tossing his most talented d men,doesn't he?

#127 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

MayRay,Salo is the franchise leader in most every category for D men.
Get a clue ,bud.

#128 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

yeah he was , but it doesn't mean he isnt replaceable

your making him sound like a super star , or a freaking sedin that can only be got during a draft . hes an offensive dman we got for nothing because san jose needed cap space .

once again ill say it , he was expendable and gillis new it

so can you all at least wait till garrison has played 20 or so games in a canucks jersey to say we lost our perfect piece

Agreed, and our defence had a terrific year offensively, Edler pretty much replaced Erhoff's points...Erhoff wanted the cash...can't blame him, he was paid very little in SJ, and got paid below market in Van. He hasn't had a career where he was making 4-5 mil a year so for him, I get why he said he had to take the money, its security...any one of us would have done the same...and MG just couldn't match 10 mil a year....even if it was a 6.6 cap hit....he's not worth 10 million in cash.

#129 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Get a clue ,bud.

Gretzky is the NHL leader in most every category for Forwards don't see him getting millions of dollars. oh yeah he is old now...
Get a clue, bud

Edit: where do you even get your stats from...

Games played: Snepsts
Goals: Ohlund
Assists: Kearns
+/-: Salo/Murzyn
PIMS: Butcher
PP: Salo
SH: Lumme/Minor
GW: Salo
GT: Jovanovski
OT: Salo
Shots: Ohlund

wouldn't call that most. also irrelevant since those guys aren't who they were. Would u pay Kearns 3.75?

Edited by Mayray2112, 28 September 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#130 kesler'sselke

kesler'sselke

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Here is the thing if we keep Salo then there will no room for our young D to step in. As for Erhoff, he just wanted money period, Sure Erhoff was great but he is not irreplaceable, he wasn't a 40+ D man when he first arrived at Van. I personally believe that we need young blood in our line up, Salo is a great D and PP point guard for us but how much longer can we rely on him, sooner or later we will need to replace him so why not do it now? Plus with the lockout this year not signing Salo seem like a pretty good choice. Edler will be signed but again he is not irreplaceable. Let's assume there will be no game played this year, next season Tanev and K-not will surely be ready to step in. K-not is the offensive D and Tanev is an all around D and I believe they can fill the hole. However, that being said I do wish Ballard gets traded, it will benefit both the club and himself this way. I would love to see our D look like this next season:
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Tanev-Connauton
with Sauve and Corrado ready to step up at anytime

#131 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

name='nuck nit'
Salo led the Canucks in PP goals scored by a d man last year and he did it at 37 years of age in 69 games played. Playing on the 1st pp unit behind the Sedins and Kesler.
Bieksa got two PP goals in 78 games. Playing on the 2nd pp unit behind spare parts.
Hamhuis got one in 82 games. Playing on the 2nd pp unit behind spare parts.
Sami scored seven PP goals and three game winners which are both more than any other Canucks D man. Playing on the 1st pp unit behind the Sedins and Kesler.
Gillis paid Sami $2 million dollars last year,which is why I stated Gillis hosed Sami. Because the previous season he only managed to play 27 games. Given his age and injury history his value wasn't exactly high at the time.
This year's Gillis job on Sami is another issue for another day. He told Sami he'd sign him to one year deals as long as he wanted to play. In other words he was welcome to play out his career here.

Your biggest problem is you never look at the whole picture.
Posted Image

#132 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

Get a clue ,bud.

In the same way Bieksa has played with Hamhuis for 3 seasons?
Posted Image

#133 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

Best GM in the league? Wow, dream on- traded away Erhoff for nothing, traded for Ballard who sucks, lost out on Schultz, has Ballard, Luongo, Raymond on the books who are dead weight and is now penny pinching with our best young player.He is a good GM who has made some bone head moves. Not to mention the Hodgson debacle

I think we got a 4th for Ehrhoff.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#134 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Edited by TheGame., 28 September 2012 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#135 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Posted Image

nuck nit
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#136 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

I want some damn Hackey!!!
Posted Image

#137 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

We are forgetting something really important here. It's not that Gillis traded Erhoff and chose Bieksa over him, it's that he kept Ballard over Erhoff, Keith Ballard who played bottom pair minutes and didn't even dress when healthy.
Now that's stupid!!! Gillis chose to not to move Ballard to clear YP space to sign Erhoff.

Edited by eretz canucks, 29 September 2012 - 04:14 AM.

#138 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Posted Image

nuck nit

Nuck Nit loves NHL hockey but hates the morons that want fans and players to pay for their careless greed and fiscal imprudence.
Is that a dog from the SPCA? I love dogs and the SPCA.

#139 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Loyalty is acknowledging the veterans that served the franchise with dedication, honor and distinction.
Sami exemplified those characteristics for this club,city and Vancouver Canucks fans:

Canucks Defensemen All -Time Records -Sami Salo:
  • 5th in points with 236
  • 3rd in goals with 74
  • 1st in game-winning goals with 20
  • 3rd in shots on goal with 1078
  • 1st in power play goals with 48
  • 1st in postseason games played with 74
  • 1st (tied) in postseason goals
Fourth all time in games played for all Canucks in the playoffs-leads all Canucks rear guards in history of franchise.
Fifth all time points leader for a Canuck rear guard in Canucks playoff history.
Fourth all time for PP goals scored by all Canucks in the playoffs -leads all Canucks rear guards in history of franchise.
Fifth all time points scored by a Canucks defensemen in franchise history.
Third all-time in Canucks history for O/T goals -leads all Canucks defensemen in this category.

Sami should have retired as a Canuck but was instead paid lip service.

Edited by nuck nit, 29 September 2012 - 02:54 AM.

#140 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

If we really have a "Bieksa cap" for our defense, well then that's kind of sad. I really hope that's not the case but it sure sounds like it is from everything we have seen and heard over the past year. Gillis needs to realize that not every player is going to take a discount and some players(Ehrhoff. Edler) have to be paid more to retain. Edler could get a boat load of money in free agency so offering him 4.6M isn't going to cut it all.

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 29 September 2012 - 02:32 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#141 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

Loyalty is acknowledging the veterans that served the franchise with heart,dedication and honor.
Sami exemplified those characteristics for this club,city and Vancouver Canucks fans:

Yet again, Gillis promised to sign him to one year deals as long as he wanted to play. Is that not a sign of loyalty?

These two definitely apply to you....

Posted Image
Posted Image

#142 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Here is the thing if we keep Salo then there will no room for our young D to step in.

Here is the thing, if we keep Salo, then we have a way better shot at a Stanley Cup then if we play Connauton, per your suggestion.

Does a Stanley Cup matter to anyone around here? Anyone?

#143 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

name='nuck nit'
Salo led the Canucks in PP goals scored by a d man last year and he did it at 37 years of age in 69 games played. Playing on the 1st pp unit behind the Sedins and Kesler.
Bieksa got two PP goals in 78 games. Playing on the 2nd pp unit behind spare parts.
Hamhuis got one in 82 games. Playing on the 2nd pp unit behind spare parts.
Sami scored seven PP goals and three game winners which are both more than any other Canucks D man. Playing on the 1st pp unit behind the Sedins and Kesler.
Gillis paid Sami $2 million dollars last year,which is why I stated Gillis hosed Sami. Because the previous season he only managed to play 27 games. Given his age and injury history his value wasn't exactly high at the time.
This year's Gillis job on Sami is another issue for another day. He told Sami he'd sign him to one year deals as long as he wanted to play. In other words he was welcome to play out his career here.

Your biggest problem is you never look at the whole picture.

OK, so you're expecting how many goals from Garrison this year, exactly? If playing with the Sedin's on the PP automatically leads to filling the net, what do you think? 20? 30? Let's hear a number, if you're so confident that he's so good and that it was such a great signing.

#144 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

Yet again, Gillis promised to sign him to one year deals as long as he wanted to play. Is that not a sign of loyalty?

Wow, what a guy!

Gillis' offer was 50% of what Tampa Bay's was - meaning that there was a serious discrepancy in perceived value between the two clubs. And who knows what else was out there for Sami.

Oh, but let me guess - it was "Sami's choice" to walk, right? Nevermind that he was offered twice the deal in TB that he was here - it was "Sami's choice".

#145 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Gillis lip service,lapped up,regurgitated and served up to CDC ad nauseam,ad infinitum.

#146 Mayray2112

Mayray2112

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

Wow, what a guy!

Gillis' offer was 50% of what Tampa Bay's was - meaning that there was a serious discrepancy in perceived value between the two clubs. And who knows what else was out there for Sami.

Oh, but let me guess - it was "Sami's choice" to walk, right? Nevermind that he was offered twice the deal in TB that he was here - it was "Sami's choice".

Salo got 2 million after missing almost 60 games that's pretty loyal to Salo. Now Salo if he wanted a chance to win the cup and play with his friends could of took a discount and been loyal to the club that gave him pretty good money after coming back from a serious injury.Salo chose to find a longer contract and more $$ because he is about to retire, which he has every right to do. Just as Gillis can offer him what's affordable/worth the risk.Salo 3.75 million Garrison 4.6 million Less than 900k difference for someone who is younger, faster, stronger and has a great slapshot like Salo.

Now for the doubters, which is more likely to happen
1. Garrison struggles taking slapshots on the PP with the Sedins
Or
2. Salo suffers another injury (knock on wood) and chooses to hang them up?Also with bring close to the cap we wouldn't of got both and I can tell you Garrison would be a better 2nd RD than Salo atm

Edited by Mayray2112, 29 September 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#147 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Wow, what a guy!

Yes Sami chose to walk.

The Sedins could have got a better deal than Gillis offered and chose to stay.
Hamhuis could have got a better deal elsewhere and chose to sign here.
Bieksa could have got more money and chose to stay.
Salo could get more elsewhere and chose that over staying.

Nobody forced Sami to leave.

Edited by Baggins, 29 September 2012 - 04:22 AM.

Posted Image

#148 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Gillis lip service,lapped up,regurgitated and served up to CDC ad nauseam,ad infinitum.

I'd take MG's word over the diarrhea you continually spew.
Posted Image

#149 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

OK, so you're expecting how many goals from Garrison this year, exactly? If playing with the Sedin's on the PP automatically leads to filling the net, what do you think? 20? 30? Let's hear a number, if you're so confident that he's so good and that it was such a great signing.

I expect at least similar goal production. Where I expect a sharp increase is in assists based completely on the talent he'll be playing with. As I've already said.

Edited by Baggins, 29 September 2012 - 04:26 AM.

Posted Image

#150 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:48 AM

I hope Edler and his agent want no less then 6 million per season because Gillis will trade him.

Edler is too error prone, soft and inconsistent to play top minutes on a elite contending team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.