The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wolves training camp thread. **UPDATED**, roster down to 31

Ossi Vaananen

But seriously tho- the longer Kassian goes without points the more his confidence will suffer and yes- he very possibly could be a bust.

Does anyone know if Kassian is playing well? hitting and actually opening up space on the ice for Schroeder???

I don't think going a couple pre-season games without any points should have anyone panicking...

At the same time it is important for him to not settle into the role of just being a physical player. His mindset should be that he's an offensive player that plays physical, not a physical player that happens to provide offensive.this

Alot of fourth line players in the NHL were great offensively in the minors, but then settled into the role of tough guy grinders in order to make the NHL. It's important that Kassian doesn't settle into that type of player just to make the NHL.

I'm surprised that Anthony was sent to the ECHL considering he scored in one of his pre-season games.

Not surpised that Rai and Cannata were sent down. Better to have Cannata be a starter, then to be a third string goalie behind Lack and Climie. When Lack comes up to the Canucks, Cannata will be able to battle for the starting position.

Don't know how I feel about Polasek being sent down though. I thought he brought a good amount of grit that the Wolves would want. I guess Anderson impressed more with his skill game though.

And does this mean that we should assume that Friesen, Matson, and Mallet made the team?

I'm surprised that Anthony was sent to the ECHL considering he scored in one of his pre-season games.

Not surpised that Rai and Cannata were sent down. Better to have Cannata be a starter, then to be a third string goalie behind Lack and Climie. When Lack comes up to the Canucks, Cannata will be able to battle for the starting position.

Don't know how I feel about Polasek being sent down though. I thought he brought a good amount of grit that the Wolves would want. I guess Anderson impressed more with his skill game though.

And does this mean that we should assume that Friesen, Matson, and Mallet made the team?

The Wolves carried as many as 30 players at one point last season (10 D, 18 F, 2G). So if they're at 31 now, I think we can assume this is about it for cuts.

That leaves:

Forwards

Sweatt

Schroeder

Kassian

Haydar

Rodin

Ebbett

Miller

Davies

Archibald

Matson

Mallet

Friesen

Desbiens

Gordon

Longpre

Pinizzotto

K.Miller

Sterling

Schneider

Defense

Tanev

Connauton

Sauve

Andersson

Mullen

Joslin

Matheson

Hunt

Miskovic

Negrin

Goaltenders

Lack

Climie

I thought Polasek looked really good last year, odd he gets cut. Perhaps they feel he can already handle a physical/depth defender role and wanted him to develop other aspects of his game in the ECHL. I really thought he would be one of the ones to push for a callup to the NHL this season, given it is much easier to crack the NHL in a depth role than as a top4.

Then again, maybe he isn't near as ready as I thought.

I thought Polasek looked really good last year, odd he gets cut. Perhaps they feel he can already handle a physical/depth defender role and wanted him to develop other aspects of his game in the ECHL. I really thought he would be one of the ones to push for a callup to the NHL this season, given it is much easier to crack the NHL in a depth role than as a top4.

How many players can the Wolves carry on roster during the season? Is it 23 like the NHL standards or can they carry more?

Definetly surprised Polasek got sent down, but he will benefit better than sitting out majority of the season with the Wolves...more likely he will be a top pairing player

How many players can the Wolves carry on roster during the season? Is it 23 like the NHL standards or can they carry more?

Definetly surprised Polasek got sent down, but he will benefit better than sitting out majority of the season with the Wolves...more likely he will be a top pairing player

Andersson must have really impressed. I still think we're looking at another roster cut of maybe 5-6 guys. Even when the lockout ends, the Wolves will have many options from Kalamazoo call ups to their own numerous signings. Disappointed to see Polasek go down though. I don't think Miskovic or Negrin are locks just yet.

Thanks for the run down DeNiro.

Look for the Wolves to do quite well out of the gate. This team has a great mix of skill and grit, and a good amount of veterans.

They face the farm teams of Chicago, St. Louis, Calgary, Florida, and Detroit in the first month. Most of those teams don't have a whole ton of talent outside of Florida's farm team San Antonio.

They'll be the toughest test of the month. It will be fun to see Lack go up against the guy he used to back up in Markstrom.

Archived