The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Using a debit card for a large purchase in the states...

KFBR392

I'm heading to Seattle tomorrow to make a large purchase (5-7k). I likely won't be able to use my credit card, as I'm pretty sure the retailer charges an additional fee (3% if I recall correctly) on my purchase. I would prefer to use my MasterCard if I could however.

My purchase, at least for the meantime, will go partially into my line of credit. I'm not sure if that changes anything either.

I didn't think of this until now, and sure enough my bank is closed and I'm not going to have time to go to it before I leave tomorrow.

Anyone have any knowledge on this? I've successfully used my credit union debit card in the states before for pos purchases, but they've all been relatively small amounts.

Call your bank and tell them where you're going, when you get back and make sure you tell them that you intend on making a large transaction (provide them with the amount). Your card is likely to decline if you don't call them because it's an irregular purchase, based on your previous transaction activities. Also the states don't use chip and pin technology, so it's more likely to raise some flags with your banks security team if the mag stripe is used for a large purchase as stripe transactions are more susceptible to fraud.

Generally, here in the US, the business pays the fees. It is becoming more common, because of Dodd Frank, that business add a surcharge.

Here is the problem, though. Unless your card is a Visa/Mastercard Debit card, you will not be able to make a direct debit purchase using it because the US system is not integrated into Interac.

And if it is a Visa/Mastercard Debit card, you may need to call the bank to let them know you are traveling to the US. The reason being is they will block the transaction. They do this to prevent fraud.

You will, however, be able to withdraw cash. But as others have said, this is limited to your daily amount by your bank, and the daily amount of the ATM machine. You may have to use a couple of different machines--just remember ATM fees range from 1.50 at Walmart to 5.00 at some other banks.

Generally, here in the US, the business pays the fees. It is becoming more common, because of Dodd Frank, that business add a surcharge.

Here is the problem, though. Unless your card is a Visa/Mastercard Debit card, you will not be able to make a direct debit purchase using it because the US system is not integrated into Interac.

And if it is a Visa/Mastercard Debit card, you may need to call the bank to let them know you are traveling to the US. The reason being is they will block the transaction. They do this to prevent fraud.

You will, however, be able to withdraw cash. But as others have said, this is limited to your daily amount by your bank, and the daily amount of the ATM machine. You may have to use a couple of different machines--just remember ATM fees range from 1.50 at Walmart to 5.00 at some other banks.

Archived