Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Knee Pain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hello CDC!

So recently I have stopped playing hockey due to work and I basically continued my off season training in the gym. My workouts consist of a variety of running excercises for my cardio and a specific weight routine. Since running is my excercise of choice cardio-wise, I rarely hit the bike or elliptical.

Lately, I have experienced knee pain during and well after running, especially when I do interval training on a treadmill. I am not a graceful person by nature but I certainly do not stomp around. I am heavy for my height (5'8'', 190#), but I don't think it is too much stress for my knee as I have been working out and playing hockey and football my entire life until now and haven't had any similar problems. I am only 18 and do not have any health conditions.

It will take 3-4 days of not running for the pain to go away. I will edit with pictures of where the pain is occuring.I have an appointment next week but I wanted to know if you guys have had similar issues or know of a cause.

EDIT:
Posted Image
Where this guy is pointing. I have it in both knees. If I was to google it, I wouldn't know what muscles and all they are talking about.

Edited by JimLahey, 29 September 2012 - 06:07 PM.

NKQdh7b.jpg

#2 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,366 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

3-4 days is likely not enough and when you have pain, it's important to listen to your body and give it a week or two of rest. I know that's tough, as it pulls you off your routine, but it's usually necessary. I wouldn't do anything involving impact or even involving your knees until you've been for your appointment. Good luck!

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#3 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

I had something like this. Its called Osgood Schlatters disease. There was a slight bump under my kneecap, and it hurt when i ran. My doctor told me not to run for 6-8 weeks. I know its harsh, but it worked. You should ask your doctor. He'll give you the best advice :)
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#4 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

3-4 days is likely not enough and when you have pain, it's important to listen to your body and give it a week or two of rest. I know that's tough, as it pulls you off your routine, but it's usually necessary. I wouldn't do anything involving impact or even involving your knees until you've been for your appointment. Good luck!

Thanks! It's more of an impatience thing when I get right back to running because I always feel better when I do, but I get what you mean. :)

I had something like this. Its called Osgood Schlatters disease. There was a slight bump under my kneecap, and it hurt when i ran. My doctor told me not to run for 6-8 weeks. I know its harsh, but it worked. You should ask your doctor. He'll give you the best advice :)

But I don't like that answer! :sadno:
Were you able to do anything at all cardio related?

NKQdh7b.jpg

#5 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I've had this as well. And I agree the best thing to do is take some time off.

I remember I used to bump my knee in the slightest way and the pain would be monstrous.

Posted Image

#6 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

First off you don't know if it is the muscle or other soft tissue such as the ligament or tendon.

Depending on how your body feels you might try to test it again lightly in about a week to see if you may have just tweaked it but otherwise you should see your doctor to get it checked and perhaps even get a valgus done.

What you don't want is to injure it worse if it is in fact injured.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#7 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,366 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

The fact that it's in both knees is concerning...maybe related to your running shoes? The impact associated with running can cause problems for some...I wouldn't do any cardio right now (until you see someone). Then you'll likely have to do no impact cardio (bike) for a bit. But only a professional can properly diagnose and instruct you on what to do..these are just basic/common sense suggestions. :)

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#8 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

This reminds me of the pain I've developed while running...though it's in my calves, not my knees.

dontforgettolentil.png

#9 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

First off you don't know if it is the muscle or other soft tissue such as the ligament or tendon.

Ligament seems the most likely to me.

The fact that it's in both knees is concerning...maybe related to your running shoes?

I'm confident it's not the shoes. I bought new ones and the pain is still there as it was with my old ones.

NKQdh7b.jpg

#10 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

The fact that it's in both knees is concerning...maybe related to your running shoes? The impact associated with running can cause problems for some...I wouldn't do any cardio right now (until you see someone). Then you'll likely have to do no impact cardio (bike) for a bit. But only a professional can properly diagnose and instruct you on what to do..these are just basic/common sense suggestions. :)

OSD, can happen on both knees too, but not most of the time. but yes, the best option would be to ask a doctor.

Edited by Bob Singh, 29 September 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#11 The Shirokovian One

The Shirokovian One

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

its most likely your meniscus... they will probably have to chop your leg off

#12 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

its most likely your meniscus... they will probably have to chop your leg off

No worries, I'll grow new ones,

NKQdh7b.jpg

#13 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I've had patellofemoral pain syndrome for the last few years. Google it. Maybe you've got it, in which case... Good luck.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#14 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

That picture isn't particularly clear, but from what I can tell, it looks like OSD as well.

I had it when I was a young teenager as well, and there's really not much that can be done, aside from rest. Eventually it went away.

Now, I've got patellar tendinitis in both knees, and have managed to tear the lateral meniscus in both as well. My knees hate me, they are my Achilles' heels. :(

RIP LB RR PD

#15 The Shirokovian One

The Shirokovian One

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

You actually should not listen to anyone but your dr. I had knee problems for years, and everyone had an opinion on what was wrong. Until you get some testing done don't try and diagnose it yourself. Good luck.

#16 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Best to get it looked at by a pro.

Sounds like its probably either patellofemoral pain syndrome or Osgood schlatters. Have it looked at by a local physiotherapist would be the best idea.

#17 KFBR392

KFBR392

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

I see a number of people here saying they either have, or have had OSD before. Did the lump on your knee ever go away?

I've had one below my left knee for probably about 6-7 years. Hurts like a mother when I hit it on something.

Never seems to cause an issue while running/hiking/cycling however.

#18 Linden Legend

Linden Legend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

The guy in the picture is pointing to his medial collateral ligament (MCL). It would be rare for this to hurt without some sort of Valgus trauma applied to your knee (ie. Someone smashed into your knee laterally, thus applying stress to your MCL.

As somebody who works in orthopedics, my recommendation to you is to stop listening to people on here and ask your doctor to refer you for an MRI. A radiologist will be able to assess what is wrong from there and you will know whether you need to be seen by a sports med surgeon.
"He'll play! You know he'll play! He'll play on crutches!"
"Adams shoots...SCORES!!! Greg Adams!!! Greg Adams!!!"
"They've slayed the dragon!!"

#19 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I've had patellofemoral pain syndrome for the last few years. Google it. Maybe you've got it, in which case... Good luck.

I have this, too. I've learned to live with the pain. It's part of my life now.
I play goalie and I was told that spending hours at a time in a goalie stance semi-squat position may have had something to do with it. I take pain killers and still play. Some days are far worse than others.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#20 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I see a number of people here saying they either have, or have had OSD before. Did the lump on your knee ever go away?

I've had one below my left knee for probably about 6-7 years. Hurts like a mother when I hit it on something.

Never seems to cause an issue while running/hiking/cycling however.

The lump has never gone away, but the pain has become very limited.

Does it STILL hurt for you ? Or DID it hurt for you ?

Edited by mau5trap, 01 October 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.