16 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

So I've been doing these 15k runs Sunday through Thursday for the past 3 weeks in an attempt to keep myself in shape while at school, and I started to feel this dull throbbing pain on the inward side of my shins. It'd be worse mostly right after a run, be a dull ache the rest of the time. It kept getting progressively worse each day, so I decided to not play soccer yesterday and make it a complete day off exercise. But last night I had to run down a bus and it really amplified the pain to the point where it was actually hurting to walk, not just like the ache it had been.

Are there any more medically astute individuals here who have advice or diagnoses or what have you? I don't want to have to go to a doctor if I don't have to. I also don't want to have to stop running for long, but I equally don't want to screw myself up and be out with something worse for a long time.

For what it's worth, I'm 18, male, about 6'3, 170 pounds. I'm pretty lanky, and I've got really flat feet (size 13.5 if that matters). The shoes are kind of old, but they have arch support. The only major leg injury I've had was a really bad sprain in my left ankle last year. And though I'm a pretty good runner, running this much is something I just started this month.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 29 September 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Posted Image

#2 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like shin splints to me (at least how you described it). Try different shoe if you have training shoes as opposed to running shoes.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#3 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Sounds like shin splints to me (at least how you described it). Try different shoe if you have training shoes as opposed to running shoes.

I'm afraid all I have are my running shoes, casual shoes, and flip flops. And as a student, all my money is tied up so I can't really afford new shoes.

Thanks for the diagnosis though. Have a term to match to the pain now.
Posted Image

#4 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'm afraid all I have are my running shoes, casual shoes, and flip flops. And as a student, all my money is tied up so I can't really afford new shoes.

Thanks for the diagnosis though. Have a term to match to the pain now.

I mean training shoes basically give you shin splints during running. I said that because I've made that mistake before. :picard:

hL9YqYN.jpg

#5 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I mean training shoes basically give you shin splints during running. I said that because I've made that mistake before. :picard:

OK, I misunderstood. But at least the shoes aren't the problem, I don't want to shell out on new shoes.
Posted Image

#6 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

OK, I misunderstood. But at least the shoes aren't the problem, I don't want to shell out on new shoes.

I wasn't too clear :). But shin splints are a pain. Ice and rest like anything else.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#7 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

I wasn't too clear :). But shin splints are a pain. Ice and rest like anything else.

Yeah I looked it up and it doesn't sound too bad just as long as I stay off it a little. Thanks for the help :)
Posted Image

#8 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Ya, I'm a runner as well, had similar pains. Took 2 weeks off and brought new running shoes - haven't had pain since. It's all about the shoes.

#9 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Shin splints seem like a very possible and common diagnosis for this problem with runners. The shoes still may be a cause or factor if the cushioning/stability has worn out as they do over time/use or if they are an improper fit.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#10 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

What is the reason you don't want to see a doctor...?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#11 Brayden

Brayden

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Your shin splints are a either from junk /worn out shoes, or a rapid increase in training intensity and duration.

I'm pretty much addicted to trail running, its a lot easier on your joints and shins, you should take it up!

Btw what shoes are you currently running in?
Reppin the Ghetto of West Vancouver
Massive Fulham and CSA Supporter

#12 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Your shin splints are a either from junk /worn out shoes, or a rapid increase in training intensity and duration.

I'm pretty much addicted to trail running, its a lot easier on your joints and shins, you should take it up!

Btw what shoes are you currently running in?

Saucony Hurricane 13s. I'm running trails too, but I do spend 5k running on road to get to/from the trails. There is a set of stairs too, goes about 200m up.

What is the reason you don't want to see a doctor...?

3 midterms this week, working. Don't have much free time, I'd like to hold onto that if I can.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 29 September 2012 - 10:47 PM.

Posted Image

#13 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Seeing a doctor probably wont help much unless you have a very knowledgeable doctor sports medicine.

Youll most likely get the standard RICE action plan.

Shin splits are a bitch. I got a bad case of them during pre season of one of my Jr A lacrosse seasons and couldnt afford to take rest. Got worse and worse.

Stop running on cement. Try to run on softer surfaces and of course good shoes.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#14 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

In addition to the other suggestions, make sure your calves are stretched properly.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yep, sounds like shin splints.

I don't know if you can afford the time, but perhaps walking the parts that have concrete might be a healthier option for now.

RIP LB RR PD

#16 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hrm. Be careful. I had a weird shin thing a while ago. It hurt a decent amount when I ran but was significantly worse when I walked. It took a month of cutting off pretty much everything (I don't do water so swimming was out) before I could even walk without pain again and another two before I could run. I had initially thought I just tweaked something so I powered through it for a couple days and I think that was the biggest mistake.

rsz_avs.jpg

#17 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

15k runs 5 days in a row is terrible for you. You should really change your training regime, otherwise more problems will start to arise.

Your body needs rest more than anything right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.