Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

A woman successfully grows an EAR on her ARM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,769 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

http://www.globalpos...new-ear-her-arm

Doctors at Johns Hopkins have successfully grown an ear on a woman's arm.

Sherrie Walters', 42, ear was grown on her arm to replace one removed after developing bassal cell carcinoma in 2008.

The illness meant that she had her ear, a piece of her skull and her ear canal removed.

She is now the first person ever to have their ear regrown using cartilage taken from her rib,said Medical Daily.

The team of surgeons, led by Dr. Patrick Byrne, an associate professor in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, took rib cartilage to shape a new ear, according to Red Orbit.

More from GlobalPost: Bagelheads become the new trend in Japanese body modification (VIDEO)

In an experimental procedure, it was placed under the skin and let grow for four months before being transplanted into her head approximately six months ago.

"Sherrie's skull bone had been removed, so the only way of attaching a prosthetic would be through tape and glue. We both agreed that wasn't an option," said Byrne, according to ABC News.

The decision to place the ear under the skin on the forearm was an unprecedented procedure.

"We implanted the ear near the wrist and just let it live there so all the skin could grow."

Walters was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and had her ear removed in 2012 when the cancer spread to her ear canal, said CBS News.

Posted Image

Well this is kind of ear-ie

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#2 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

What is this I don't ear-ven :picard:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#3 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

What is this I don't ear-ven :picard:

You're trying to hard. That was T-ear-ible.

BO KNOWS

#4 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

ear
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

:picard:

What the frack.

RIP LB RR PD

#6 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

What is this madness I h-ear?

#7 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

Is is just for aesthetics or do they expect a fully functional ear canal?

This is impressive and speaks volumes to the regenerative aspects of DNA.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

EARISISTABLE!@

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#9 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Is is just for aesthetics or do they expect a fully functional ear canal?

This is impressive and speaks volumes to the regenerative aspects of DNA.

Aesthetics.

Growing a pinna (the external portion of the ear) on their arm and attaching it to their head would be mostly just for appearance reasons, like if someone lost their ear in an accident. However the pinna functions to direct, amplify and filter sound to the inner ear. So giving someone a new one would help improve their hearing ability.

The ear canal is extremely complicated and intricate. I don't think growing a completely new one and somehow implanting it in a person's head is feasible. Our best bet to restoring hearing is improving the technology to repair existing ear canals.

BO KNOWS

#10 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

Aesthetics.

Growing a pinna (the external portion of the ear) on their arm and attaching it to their head would be mostly just for appearance reasons, like if someone lost their ear in an accident. However the pinna functions to direct, amplify and filter sound to the inner ear. So giving someone a new one would help improve their hearing ability.

The ear canal is extremely complicated and intricate. I don't think growing a completely new one and somehow implanting it in a person's head is feasible. Our best bet to restoring hearing is improving the technology to repair existing ear canals.

Artificial Intelligence helps Improve the Lives of People with Hearing Loss

CATERHAM, Surrey, May 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The concept of Artificial Intelligence has now successfully been applied in hearing aids. With the introduction of the new intelligent hearing aid, Oticon Syncro, digital hearing technology is taken to a whole new level to improve users' listening performance in an unpredictable world of sounds.
Artificial Intelligence is used in many state-of-the-art products - from cameras and computer games to car navigation and communication systems. Now, Artificial Intelligence is also being used to help people with hearing loss. The Oticon Syncro hearing aid is inspired by the brain's natural ability to detect and optimise speech while filtering out distracting sounds - an ability that is strongly reduced for people with hearing loss.
"When someone has a hearing loss, they lose their natural ability to differentiate between voices and noise, and they no longer respond quickly to changes in their listening environment. Syncro is designed to compensate for this loss," says Kevin Carlyon, Sales Director of Oticon UK.& quot;Syncro reacts instantly to variations in the acoustic signal to improve people's ability to comprehend speech. This is particularly valuable in environments like busy streets, office settings and crowded restaurants - places that normally pose a challenge to people with hearing loss."
Inspired by the brain
While current digital hearing aids adjust their performance based on predictions and assumptions of how an individual should hear in a given environment, Syncro's goes much further in its imitation of the human brain. Syncro's digital processor makes millions of calculations per second to attenuate noise, accentuate speech and thereby enhance people's ability to communicate. Just as advanced digital cameras take several internal snapshots with different parameter settings, constantly choosing the clearest and most natural picture, Syncro takes "auditory snapshots". It instantly analyses and compares the outcome achieved by each combination of features and selects the most optimal setting guaranteed to provide the clearest, most natural reproduction of voice.
"When a test panel of experienced hearing aid users was fitted with the new Oticon Syncro hearing aids and exposed to difficult listening situations, the results were very encouraging. In tests where they were supposed to follow conversations in background noise they performed just as well and some of them even better than our reference group of normal hearing people", says Kevin Carlyon at Oticon. "In addition to these objective test results, Oticon Syncro users also reported that they could now hear voices more clearly from a distance. They also commented on the much more pleasant sound experience and that they now felt much closer to what they remember as normal hearing."
Oticon Syncro comes in a full range of cosmetically attractive styles ranging from sleek Behind-the-Ear instruments to virtually invisible Completely-In-the-Canal models. The instruments are available exclusively through hearing care professionals.
One in ten people suffer from hearing loss, and untreated hearing loss often causes social and psychological problems. Hearing loss is one of the disabilities that can be treated most inexpensively and with the greatest benefit, and most hearing-impaired experience improved quality of life when they start using hearing aids.
For more information about hearing and hearing loss, visit www.hear-it.org
About Oticon
Oticon, one of the world's oldest and most respected hearing aid manufacturers, celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2004. The company was founded by Hans Demant, who was motivated by a desire to help his hearing-impaired wife - and others in a similar situation - hear better. Today, Oticon employs more than 2,000 people worldwide and sells its products via subsidiaries and distributors in over 100 countries around the world. A pioneer in digital technology, the company continues to develop and manufacture the most advanced solutions in pursuit of its vision: To help people live the life they want, with the hearing they have.
Note to Editors: High resolution photographs are available to the media free of charge at http://www.newscast.co.uk (+44 (0)207 608 1000)

SOURCE Oticon Limited

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 30 September 2012 - 06:13 AM.

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#11 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Whoa

#12 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,734 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

Are they sure this is the first?I saw a guy with an ear like that not too long ago. I would have asked him what's up with that but how do you ask a guy that? Wish I had now.

a true Brazilian will never give up until things are totally screwed..." -aeromotacanucks

#13 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Stem cells FTW!

#14 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Quaaaaiiiiid!!! Quaaaaiiiiiiiid!
Posted Image

#15 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

The original is ear-iplacible

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,136 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Remember this being theorized 15-20 yrs ago.

Technology finally catches up! Yay us!
Posted Image

#17 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Ear you s-ear-ious?!

Edited by MaximYapierre, 30 September 2012 - 01:20 PM.

/=S=/

#18 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Ear you s-ear-ious?!

Are you serious?

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#19 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Wow that's EARie..............sorry could'nt resist.See what I've been reduced to?Damn lockout.
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

These puns are making me really earitated.

Edited by Jagermeister, 30 September 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#21 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

These puns are making me really earitated.

Right arm brother!
Posted Image

#22 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Speaking of arms, that picture reminds me of one of those donut heads in Japan.
Posted Image

#23 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well, my questions about whether or not it is merely cosmetic have been answered already.
Let me know when they can regrow eyes. I tore mine out after reading these terrible puns.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.