The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him?

billabong

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

note: assuming there is a season this year

obviously there is plenty of variables like how well contract talks are going, how well the team is going, what kinda market value there is for edler at the time, etc...but regardless if he doesnt have a contract at the time of the trade deadline how much will you be working the phones to find a deal for alex edler

personally, i wouldnt hesitate to deal him if i found a deal that made sense...its the safe move

If he doesn't resign it's aparent he's looking for the money. Trade him for a canadien who might be more interested in playing for a wining team instead of the big contract. The Canucks can't always be the "classy team" letting the players make up their own mind. Loosing Edler to free agency would be a mojar blow to this team, especially after watching erhoff walk....

You don't trade a guy like Alex Edler and expect to improve your playoff chances going forward. Even if Gillis knew he would have trouble signing Edler after the post-season I still don't think he would do it. Its taking a step back. There's still time after the season to trade Edler's rights for a decent return.

this kid will sign. There's no way he doesn't. Swedish roots run deep with the Canucks and it feels as though he (like the Sedins) feels indebted to Canucks organization. Of course the numbers need to make sense for both sides...but I can't see Edler not signing because of a 1mil difference that he wants.

4yrs 17-18million range

cap hit of 4.25- 4.5mil a year

Bieksa and Garrison are all at 4.6 cap hit

Hammer is at 4.5 cap hit

GMMG is subtly creating a 'Lidstrom' effect on the blue line for the Canucks. Smart move - helps him manage his players who are looking for the big pay raise.

If Edler wants 5-5.5mil (cap hit)...he won't get it here.

Contenders don't trade their pending UFA's unless it's for something that helps now as it weakens the team playoff chances. Teams trading for "rental players" don't tend to trade pieces key to their own playoff chances. They trade prospects and picks. Which won't help us now. Therefore Edler will not be moved unless we are out of the playoff picture.

Playoff teams lose players to free agency every year. Get use to it.

any contract is fine with me as long as his cap hit does not exceed 5.5M... this guy is a stud all-star D-man who's about to enter the prime of his career we absolutely cannot lose him to free agency. If he doesn't want to sign around the 5M cap hit (I think that's fair for both sides), then trade him at the deadline and get a BIG return for him... Good, big physical D-men with an offensive upside are hard to find in this league so if he gets traded him we have to get a top 6 forward, a very good prospect and a 1st round imo.

He's to valuable to let go and MG knows that. He's probably one of the best D-men the canucks organization has ever brought up. We have all seen what hes capable of and it would suck to play against him. With that being said he has his down sides i think hes kind of soft on plays sometimes and him being paired with Salo this past season has really shown the things he needs to work. Like the brutal 2-1 situation where salo is the last D-man back was just painful to watch. I don't think hes a 5.5 mil D-man just yet but he will be and it would awesome if it was here.

Only way we trade him at the deadline is if we blew the whole season. There's no way we can deal our most talented defenseman and expect to make a playoff push. And we have no readily available replacements within the organization.

Basically we have to re-sign Edler. Gillis would probably try to push the in-house cap for defesemen (4.6) while Edler would be pushing for maybe 6+ million. Realistically we should probably expect a Matt Carle deal (5.5) and I think that would be fair for both sides.

this kid will sign. There's no way he doesn't. Swedish roots run deep with the Canucks and it feels as though he (like the Sedins) feels indebted to Canucks organization. Of course the numbers need to make sense for both sides...but I can't see Edler not signing because of a 1mil difference that he wants.

4yrs 17-18million range

cap hit of 4.25- 4.5mil a year

Bieksa and Garrison are all at 4.6 cap hit

Hammer is at 4.5 cap hit

GMMG is subtly creating a 'Lidstrom' effect on the blue line for the Canucks. Smart move - helps him manage his players who are looking for the big pay raise.

If Edler wants 5-5.5mil (cap hit)...he won't get it here.

Archived