The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him?

billabong

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You'll be sadly disappointed. Edler is considerably more proven than Garrison. Edler would easily get 7m on the open market. I'll be quite pleased if he signs here for 5.5m. And I'd happily give up Ballard to keep Edler.

I really don't see him getting more than Enstrom, particularly if the new CBA isn't favourable for him, so $6M is unlikely unless he gets it from someone else in free agency. I don't know if $5.5M would be considered a discount, but it'd be more plausible than people suggesting he'll get less than Garrison (and Bieksa, and possibly Hamhuis).

Everything else you're saying is unsubstantiated opinion at best. We don't know what was offered in the talks they had prior to the lockout, nor do we know what Edler (and his agent) feel he deserves. We do know Gillis has said Edler wants to be here and whatever they discussed, Gillis ended up wanting to see what the new CBA will entail before inking Edler to a deal.

My previous posts have mentioned this as well, but the cap hit he ends up with depends a lot on the factors surrounding the contract: is there an NTC, short term or long term, what's in the new CBA, etc.

I understand how some of the kids whine about keeping Edler and lord bless em. But you damn well know better Baggins.

Re read your own post. He either gets overpaid here or somewhere else. MG will NOT give him 5.5 mil . He will NOT give him 6 mil

So I have no idea on what PLANET or alternate universe you see where after all this time NOW Edler decides to take a 'hometown discount' .

His stupid agent has caught Erhoff disease and thinks because he gets second assists with the Sedins on the Powerplay he is now in Suter territory.

So............since MG is not an idiot and will not insult the rest of the defensive core - Especially Hamhuis who came all the way here as a UFA - Edler is going to walk out a UFA to get overpaid elsewhere.

Ergo we need to trade him , but we cant if there is no CBA to trade him with. He should have been traded by Sept 15th.

So you would rather him stay here and become a FA so others would scoop him for nothing? We had Edler for a few years and didn't win a Cup. How sure are you that he will win it for us and it will happen this year (if there is even hockey this season)?

If MG fails at the extension prior to the trade line, I would rather we get some decent than losing him for nothing.

Edler better than Ballard? :picard: oh man .. some people...............do you see what I just did there............

It's all about opinions man and when Edler gets moved to his wrong side and played with a rookie come back and we'll discuss it.

By the way which of the two showed up in the playoffs?

Cody was getting moved regardless. I didn't mind seeing Cody moved as bringing in Pahlsson turned the third line back into a checking line capable of playing shutdown. This in turn frees up the second line from shutdown duty to play a more offensive role. A formula that was extremely successful the previous season prior to Mahotra's freak eye injury. I didn't see it as weakening the team.

He should be traded if we can't re-sign him by the deadline.

Losing assets for nothing is a terrible way to run a club.

Still pissed at losing Jovo for nothing a few years back. We have lost more guys but he stands out most to me, he was a great Dman back then

Cody may have been getting moved, but it would not have been until the off-season, at the earliest. And support of the trade directly contradicts what you (correctly, IMO) said about hanging on to Edler, as it relates to our chances of winning a Cup.

It was completely obvious, to me, anyway, that at the time of the trade Sami Pahlsson was a significant downgrade to Cody Hodgson. A player (Pahlsson) who was 5 years removed from being relevant, really, just going through the motions on Columbus and earning a paycheque - not unlike what he did as a Canuck. That was a terrible acquisition, which, to me, was obvious when it happened.

Seems to me the year before Ballard was watching from the press box while a rookie was playing. Ballard was pretty good this past playoffs but it was only 5 games. Based on what I've seen over the past two years I'd take six Edlers over 6 Ballards without ever batting an eye. The only thing I think Ballard is truly better at is fighting. I think you've been blinded by his hip checks.

Baggins, you are too knowledgeable not to know Ballard was devastated by injury in 2010-11........I wonder how well Edler would have performed with similar injuries.

He led his club in hits in his first 5 years in the NHL. I maintain, given an injury free season, playing on his natural side he would outshine Edler every day of the week.

He is also a better, faster skater than Edler and has a wicked slap shot. I'm afraid as this video shows ..........somehow we ripped the heart out of the guy and he is only now finding his true form. On his day much more dynamic than Edler imo.

Archived