Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

do u deal him if he hasnt signed on the dotted line???

1. no deal, no way im risking letting him walk (69 votes [36.32%])

Percentage of vote: 36.32%

2. it all depends on the specific situation (85 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

3. i would take my chances after the season regardless (27 votes [14.21%])

Percentage of vote: 14.21%

4. other (9 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 erbiy74

erbiy74

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

yup trade him for a top six foward and high prospect or pick.

and then our defense will have a big hole in it.. :sadno:

#32 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

why is there not a yes option to this question.

Having said that, I love what Edler could be, but if this lockout ends and he doesnt sign early, I think you look to trade him before the deadline. If he walks, or signs here for over market value it could be a disaster for Gillis.

#33 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

this kid will sign. There's no way he doesn't. Swedish roots run deep with the Canucks and it feels as though he (like the Sedins) feels indebted to Canucks organization. Of course the numbers need to make sense for both sides...but I can't see Edler not signing because of a 1mil difference that he wants.

4yrs 17-18million range
cap hit of 4.25- 4.5mil a year

Bieksa and Garrison are all at 4.6 cap hit
Hammer is at 4.5 cap hit

GMMG is subtly creating a 'Lidstrom' effect on the blue line for the Canucks. Smart move - helps him manage his players who are looking for the big pay raise.

If Edler wants 5-5.5mil (cap hit)...he won't get it here.

This is significantly undervaluing Edler. If I were the GM of Flyers, Leafs, Oilers or Flames, I would easily pay him over 6M. Easily.
He will get a lot of money as a UFA - if he chooses to re-sign, it will at least be 5M - likely 5.5 and up, depending on term.

#34 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,431 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

The first poll option doesn't make sense. First you say "no deal" as in no trade, but then you say "no chance I'm letting him walk" which implies that you want something out of him rather than do just lose him to free agency. This implies that this option wants a trade. It's contradictory.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#35 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

How come nobody has mentioned maybe just maybe Edler does not like playing in Vancouver anymore? Maybe he likes the warm weather in Florida, maybe he hates all the rain we get here, maybe he likes to go out and not have 100 fans bugging him for autographs? Any of you stop to consider those points? There are 29 other teams in the NHL, why spend your entire career with just one? Take Parise and Suter for example, I don't think any amount of money would've made those 2 stay in NJ or Nashville. If its clear Edler is not gonna return, trade him at the deadline.

#36 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

If he doesn't resign it's aparent he's looking for the money. Trade him for a canadien who might be more interested in playing for a wining team instead of the big contract. The Canucks can't always be the "classy team" letting the players make up their own mind. Loosing Edler to free agency would be a mojar blow to this team, especially after watching erhoff walk....

You see alot canadian players taking a discount to play for a Canadian team???

#37 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

I will be stunned if Gillis can't extend him. He's just about the most complete defenceman we've ever had. As someone previously mentioned, there are deep Swedish roots in Vancouver. I would have no problem signing him for $30M over 6 years. If that doesn't keep him here, then look for a homerun at the trade deadline because he would immediately upgrade the Top 4 of any other team. He should fetch either a Top 3 forward, or a Top 6 forward + a high pick.

EDIT: I also found the poll options to be awkward and confusing, so I didn't vote

Edited by brewdog, 01 October 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#38 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

Contenders don't trade their pending UFA's unless it's for something that helps now as it weakens the team playoff chances. Teams trading for "rental players" don't tend to trade pieces key to their own playoff chances. They trade prospects and picks. Which won't help us now. Therefore Edler will not be moved unless we are out of the playoff picture.

Playoff teams lose players to free agency every year. Get use to it.

This above is spot on.

I can only remember 1 or 2 hockey trades (swap of core players, not rentals) contributing to championships at the deadline. Pittsburgh pulled the biggest one I can remember acquiring Samuelsson and Ron Francis for Cullen & Zalapski. As deals like this are rare, there is no reason to believe we would trade Edler in such a deal.

We certainly are not going to offload him just to get a return. Remember, we will have budgeted to pay him his new ($6 mill???) salary. We can also go shopping at year end, so its not really losing him for nothing!

Now our history. It did not get us to the finals until a few years later; but our biggest deadline deal (IMO) was where we acquired Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso for Butcher and Dan Quinn. That was a hell of a great hockey trade; so never say never either...

:towel:

#39 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

:sadno: he's a beauty. Sign him!

Edited by Alexander Edler 23, 01 October 2012 - 07:17 AM.

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#40 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Ahhhh..he's the third Sedin twin

he's not going anywhere

#41 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH no.

We'd have either Ballard or Tanev in the top 4 if we did that! Probably the weakest blue line of all post-season teams if we traded Edler. Not going to trade away an all-star d-man before the playoffs, nope nope nope.
Posted Image

#42 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Depends on the situation.

^This.

Realistically we aren't going to trade him. Gillis has already said Edler wants to be here and they'll work something out. The Canucks know what other comparable D-men have gotten, like Enstrom, but how much he can get (in both salary/cap hit and in a trade if it came to that) are dependant on whether he's a pending UFA or an RFA under the new CBA.

Gillis and Gilman don't usually do a lot of negotiating during a season so I'd assume the same here. If they feel they're close enough to work out the details when the time comes, he'll stay. If they feel he isn't willing to come to where they need his contract to be within our cap structure, then they'll consider other options.

At this point though, we know way too little on both what the Canucks and Edler have already done internally and what the new CBA will hold to know if we should trade him or not.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#43 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

You don't trade a guy like Alex Edler and expect to improve your playoff chances going forward. Even if Gillis knew he would have trouble signing Edler after the post-season I still don't think he would do it. Its taking a step back. There's still time after the season to trade Edler's rights for a decent return.

How good was Edler during the playoffs against the Kings?
Posted Image

#44 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

yup trade him for a top six foward and high prospect or pick.

Why would someone give a top six and a pick/prospect for a guy about to be a ufa?

ya...not gonna happen

#45 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Which year? Last year, when he played poorly to start, or 2009/10, when he dominated?

#46 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

How useless is your point? Wow, so the guy didn't play his best, so unload our best dman, who's young, big, can skate, shoot, pass, was an all star....and is still only 26 and has gotten better every year....

yes those grow on trees

#47 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH no.

We'd have either Ballard or Tanev in the top 4 if we did that! Probably the weakest blue line of all post-season teams if we traded Edler. Not going to trade away an all-star d-man before the playoffs, nope nope nope.

They'd also unload Ballard for nothing to make cap room if needed. They don't keep ballard and let Edler walk. All that's happening is once the CBA issues are dealt with and teams are allowed to go back to work, the nucks will find something that works. Edler should have signed for what he was offered if he was offered high 4's because waiting may come back to haunt him with the CBA issues.

#48 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I will be stunned if Gillis can't extend him. He's just about the most complete defenceman we've ever had. As someone previously mentioned, there are deep Swedish roots in Vancouver. I would have no problem signing him for $30M over 6 years. If that doesn't keep him here, then look for a homerun at the trade deadline because he would immediately upgrade the Top 4 of any other team. He should fetch either a Top 3 forward, or a Top 6 forward + a high pick.

EDIT: I also found the poll options to be awkward and confusing, so I didn't vote

He won't fetch that as a UFA post season...

#49 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

If we traded him for young, skilled players and not players 28+ than I'd be fine with it. Ennis and Foligno for example...

:bigblush:
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#50 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

How useless is your point? Wow, so the guy didn't play his best, so unload our best dman, who's young, big, can skate, shoot, pass, was an all star....and is still only 26 and has gotten better every year....

yes those grow on trees

And your statement is valid how? I mentioned a point that needs to be taken into consideration.

When he needed to step up the most, during the playoffs, he was sub par. He was making back passes to Kopitar, getting caught out of position, failing to clear the crease when the Kings crashed it, and on and on.

That is a fact, whether or not you choose to face it is irrelevant. He was pulling no shows during the regular season as well. For example: The game against the Canadiens on March 10, 2012, where Vigneault had the following to say:

Alex Edler has got all the time in the world to make a better play than that,” Vigneault said. “I don’t know where he is right now, but obviously he is not playing real well.”

We didn’t know where he was either. Edler left Rogers Arena without speaking to reporters.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz284Xk1Sh5

Like elvis 15 pointed out in his post, which playoffs? I find Edler to be very inconsistent. He is either lights out amazing, or a ghost on the ice. If you don't want to take my word for it (I couldn't care less) ask Vigneault.

Now go back under your rock.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 01 October 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

#51 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Which year? Last year, when he played poorly to start, or 2009/10, when he dominated?

We played against the Kings last year. My point is Edler is very inconsistent. He is either definite All-Star material or a shadow of himself. During the playoff run, he was lost out there.

If Edler can maintain and become a force like he did in 2010-2011, we have a franchise defenceman.

As it stands right now, he is obviously worth resigning, but for no more than any other defenceman on our top 4. In my humble opinion, signing him to a million more than any other top 4 d-man would be presumptious.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 01 October 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Posted Image

#52 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

If we traded him for young, skilled players and not players 28+ than I'd be fine with it. Ennis and Foligno for example...

That's another valid point, someone could offer us a great deal for him and we take it. It depends on what people are willing to pay.

Edited by elvis15, 01 October 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#53 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

We played against the Kings last year. My point is Edler is very inconsistent. He is either definite All-Star material or a shadow of himself. During the playoff run, he was lost out there.

If Edler can maintain and become a force like he did in 2010-2011, we have a franchise defenceman.

As it stands right now, he is obviously worth resigning, but for no more than any other defenceman on our top 4. In my humble opinion, signing him to a million more than any other top 4 d-man would be presumptious.

I get that and agree to an extent on his play. Regardless of consistency, he brings nearly 50 points a year from the back end and is one of our hit and ice time leaders. Those are legit factors that go into negotiations, but I'm sure the Canucks will have some stats of their own that give them reason to cut it back a little.

The market this summer was different from previous years, although it's been increasing for some time. If we were trying to sign Hamhuis this summer he would have earned around $5M probably, if not more. Edler would have earned more, much like Enstrom, as well if he signed under the criteria for that time.

With a new CBA needed, it'll depend on how things favour either side for what his end contract would be. If terms are greatly limited, his $/year goes up. If the RFA years are extended, it goes down. What if it's a couple year deal? What if we don't include an NTC?

Lots of things can change what he'd earn, and I think there absolutely could be a reasonable circumstance where his new deal earns him $1M more in cap hit than any other D-man on our team. I'd rather see him stay at around the $5M mark, but we'll have to see what's in the CBA (and when it gets done) for what we'd be able to do with Edler.

#54 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

I get that and agree to an extent on his play. Regardless of consistency, he brings nearly 50 points a year from the back end and is one of our hit and ice time leaders. Those are legit factors that go into negotiations, but I'm sure the Canucks will have some stats of their own that give them reason to cut it back a little.

The market this summer was different from previous years, although it's been increasing for some time. If we were trying to sign Hamhuis this summer he would have earned around $5M probably, if not more. Edler would have earned more, much like Enstrom, as well if he signed under the criteria for that time.

With a new CBA needed, it'll depend on how things favour either side for what his end contract would be. If terms are greatly limited, his $/year goes up. If the RFA years are extended, it goes down. What if it's a couple year deal? What if we don't include an NTC?

Lots of things can change what he'd earn, and I think there absolutely could be a reasonable circumstance where his new deal earns him $1M more in cap hit than any other D-man on our team. I'd rather see him stay at around the $5M mark, but we'll have to see what's in the CBA (and when it gets done) for what we'd be able to do with Edler.

I see where you're coming from. Here is to hoping that a deal can be reached that is positive for both sides, and most importantly that Edler hits that next level and becomes a true number one defenceman.

Thanks for the insight.
Posted Image

#55 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

yes. trade him
in todays nhl you have to.
dave donuts let jovo walk and moves like that HURT the franchises future.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#56 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I see where you're coming from. Here is to hoping that a deal can be reached that is positive for both sides, and most importantly that Edler hits that next level and becomes a true number one defenceman.

Thanks for the insight.

There are so many variables right now, it's hard to tell where he'll land. At least in the summer we had comparables and the old CBA as a framework. He likely would have gotten mid-$5M range so I don't blame Gillis and Gilman for making sure they get him signed to the right deal.

I agree that if he does finally get the big contract, particularly if it's longer term, we'll all be hoping Edler finds that extra gear of consistency. If we sign him for somewhere in between in the short term, then we can worry a little less about how it pans out.

yes. trade him
in todays nhl you have to.
dave donuts let jovo walk and moves like that HURT the franchises future.

A team can survive a losing a player to UFA, even though it's not ideal. Losing multiple players, either in the same year or successive years, is much harder to recover from though.

We're a good example of how losing guys like Ohlund and Salo to UFA won't be a major impact. It'd be nice to keep those players (for the right price) but hardly the death knell of the team. Edler obviously has more value being younger and putting up big numbers, but moving him as a pending UFA for a mid-pick isn't ideal either.

If we knew by now that he wasn't going to re-sign (which isn't the case, Gillis has said recently Edler wants to be here) then moving him prior to the lockout would have made sense. Maybe trying to swing a deal for another RFA nearing UFA status, or prospects/picks and the like, but as it stands we don't have to worry about that.

#57 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

The first poll option doesn't make sense. First you say "no deal" as in no trade, but then you say "no chance I'm letting him walk" which implies that you want something out of him rather than do just lose him to free agency. This implies that this option wants a trade. It's contradictory.

i meant "no deal" as in "no deal" with the canucks
Posted Image

#58 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

If he demands too much he will be traded

#59 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

especially with salo gone, we need edler more than ever

#60 stuckinontario

stuckinontario

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

As much as I like Edler, I think you pretty much have to trade him away if he doesn't sign by the deadline. IMO, that's a given - you don't just let guys like that walk away in the offseason when you can get something in return.
Posted Image
Canucks brass, send scouts out to Ptbo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.