The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him?

billabong

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

trade him he isn't getting any better..and his on and off again play in the playoffs is getting old... he is great regular season.. come playoffs he has 2 or 3 stellar games then just dissappears.... time to move on.. i am sick of being great in regular season.. and fall short in playoffs.

this kid will sign. There's no way he doesn't. Swedish roots run deep with the Canucks and it feels as though he (like the Sedins) feels indebted to Canucks organization. Of course the numbers need to make sense for both sides...but I can't see Edler not signing because of a 1mil difference that he wants.

4yrs 17-18million range

cap hit of 4.25- 4.5mil a year

Bieksa and Garrison are all at 4.6 cap hit

Hammer is at 4.5 cap hit

GMMG is subtly creating a 'Lidstrom' effect on the blue line for the Canucks. Smart move - helps him manage his players who are looking for the big pay raise.

If Edler wants 5-5.5mil (cap hit)...he won't get it here.

The first poll option doesn't make sense. First you say "no deal" as in no trade, but then you say "no chance I'm letting him walk" which implies that you want something out of him rather than do just lose him to free agency. This implies that this option wants a trade. It's contradictory.

How come nobody has mentioned maybe just maybe Edler does not like playing in Vancouver anymore? Maybe he likes the warm weather in Florida, maybe he hates all the rain we get here, maybe he likes to go out and not have 100 fans bugging him for autographs? Any of you stop to consider those points? There are 29 other teams in the NHL, why spend your entire career with just one? Take Parise and Suter for example, I don't think any amount of money would've made those 2 stay in NJ or Nashville. If its clear Edler is not gonna return, trade him at the deadline.

If he doesn't resign it's aparent he's looking for the money. Trade him for a canadien who might be more interested in playing for a wining team instead of the big contract. The Canucks can't always be the "classy team" letting the players make up their own mind. Loosing Edler to free agency would be a mojar blow to this team, especially after watching erhoff walk....

I will be stunned if Gillis can't extend him. He's just about the most complete defenceman we've ever had. As someone previously mentioned, there are deep Swedish roots in Vancouver. I would have no problem signing him for $30M over 6 years. If that doesn't keep him here, then look for a homerun at the trade deadline because he would immediately upgrade the Top 4 of any other team. He should fetch either a Top 3 forward, or a Top 6 forward + a high pick.

EDIT: I also found the poll options to be awkward and confusing, so I didn't vote

Contenders don't trade their pending UFA's unless it's for something that helps now as it weakens the team playoff chances. Teams trading for "rental players" don't tend to trade pieces key to their own playoff chances. They trade prospects and picks. Which won't help us now. Therefore Edler will not be moved unless we are out of the playoff picture.

Playoff teams lose players to free agency every year. Get use to it.

Archived