Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

do u deal him if he hasnt signed on the dotted line???

1. no deal, no way im risking letting him walk (69 votes [36.32%])

Percentage of vote: 36.32%

2. it all depends on the specific situation (85 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

3. i would take my chances after the season regardless (27 votes [14.21%])

Percentage of vote: 14.21%

4. other (9 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm signing him if I'm MG, he's just too good to let walk.
Posted Image

#62 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I don't really care what the Canucks do for trades at the moment cause if we lose another season due to a lockout i'm fracking done with the NHL.

I'll be watching junior hockey and other sports

#63 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

He should be traded if we can't re-sign him by the deadline.

Losing assets for nothing is a terrible way to run a club.

Still pissed at losing Jovo for nothing a few years back. We have lost more guys but he stands out most to me, he was a great Dman back then

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#64 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

Still pissed at losing Jovo for nothing a few years back. We have lost more guys but he stands out most to me, he was a great Dman back then

Would you rather win the cup and have Edler walk or trade him and not win the cup?
Posted Image

#65 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Would you rather win the cup and have Edler walk or trade him and not win the cup?

Let me make something clear I would trade edler if we can get a fair deal. I wouldn't just trade him for anything we can get...it has to keep us currently competitive just with a little more security for the long term
Posted Image

#66 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Absolutely.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#67 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Let me make something clear I would trade edler if we can get a fair deal. I wouldn't just trade him for anything we can get...it has to keep us currently competitive just with a little more security for the long term

At the trade deadline Edler is a rental player. That's not the return you get for a rental player. Teams trading for rental players don't move top six forwards with years left on their contract. They move prospects and picks. Trading Edler at the deadline will only weaken our playoff chances. Which is why you don't see playoff teams moving their pending UFA's. It's non-playoff teams that do that.
Posted Image

#68 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

If he doesn't resign it's aparent he's looking for the money. Trade him for a canadien who might be more interested in playing for a wining team instead of the big contract. The Canucks can't always be the "classy team" letting the players make up their own mind. Loosing Edler to free agency would be a mojar blow to this team, especially after watching erhoff walk....

The way this season is going, all players care about is money. And Erhoff didn't walk, he asked for too much and we traded him.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#69 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

So you would rather him stay here and become a FA so others would scoop him for nothing? We had Edler for a few years and didn't win a Cup. How sure are you that he will win it for us and it will happen this year (if there is even hockey this season)?

If MG fails at the extension prior to the trade line, I would rather we get some decent than losing him for nothing.

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#70 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

That all depends on what the new cba . So if they raise the ufa to 10 years of service then Edler would become rfa instead.

#71 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

So you would rather him stay here and become a FA so others would scoop him for nothing? We had Edler for a few years and didn't win a Cup. How sure are you that he will win it for us and it will happen this year (if there is even hockey this season)?

If MG fails at the extension prior to the trade line, I would rather we get some decent than losing him for nothing.

The point is nothing is for certain - but you should always take the best option.

Keeping Edler past the deadline wouldn't guarantee us anything, but moving him would likely decrease our chances rather than improve them. The other possibilities are greater: Edler could still re-sign, the new CBA could increase the length of RFA status, Edler could even agree to a sign and trade deal.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#72 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

I would rather have a shot at the cup than weaken that chance. Playoff teams lose UFA's every year. Hence high quality UFA's available July 1st. That's the risk you take for a chance to win the cup.
Posted Image

#73 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Its too late. We either over pay Edler or he walks as a UFA. We needed to trade him by Sept 15th.
Posted Image

#74 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

So wait, why would we trade him again? Lol @ these commentors whining about his inconsistent player here or there, he was injured in those playoff series.

Okay hockey geniuses who suggested it, how are we going to replace a 40+pt offensive D-man who has a 100mph+ slapshot? Who can someone name that'd be a quality trade? Did Shea Weber become available recently and I missed it? Defence wins playoffs, so don't give me "omg we can get a top 6 forward in return". Give me a break.

Anyone who is suggesting we upgrade our top 6 forwards for maybe say 10+ extra goals over our last year's top 6 in exchange for making our defensive core far inferior (unless someone names a trade they think with someone who can replace Edler) clearly doesn't know what factors are key to winning games.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 06 October 2012 - 03:10 AM.

#75 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

Edler is kind of a feline, but id sin him for max 4.5mil 2 years anything over that let him walk.

his physical play has declined alot and playoff performance for that money not good enough

Edited by Clonedanielsedin, 06 October 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#76 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Edler is kind of a feline, but id sin him for max 4.5mil 2 years anything over that let him walk.

his physical play has declined alot and playoff performance for that money not good enough

Seriously? Garrison just signed with us for 6 years with a 4.6m cap hit with one 30 point season under his belt. And he had higher offers from other teams. He hit less and blocked considerably fewer shots than Edler last season and only has 5 playoff games to his resume. Edler has two 40 point plus two 30 point seasons, plus 55 playoffs games under his belt. One of his 30 point seasons came in just 55 games played. Despite his "declined physical play" he led all our d-men in hits last season. Yet you think Edler is worth less than Garrison's discounted contract? Unbelievable.
Posted Image

#77 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

I am happy to trade him, imo Ballard is better, especially in tough situations. There are a couple of players this team needs and if Edler is the means to getting one or both I am happy to trade him.

Edler and Booth for Perry and Sbisa

Perry with the Twins
Raymond - Kes/Arnott - Burr
Higgins - Malhotra/Arnott - Hansen
Volpatti/Desbiens - Lapierre/Malhotra - Pinizzotto/Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa
Ballard - Garrison
Sbisa - Tanev

Multiple SCs on the way!
Kevin.jpg

#78 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,232 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Some of these comments I'm reading in this thread are flatout ridiculous. Ballard is better than Edler? Sign him for less than Garrison money or trade him? Please...

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#79 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

Some of these comments I'm reading in this thread are flatout ridiculous. Ballard is better than Edler? Sign him for less than Garrison money or trade him? Please...

These are just personal opinions, no more ridiculous than yours or anyone else's.

Why not play Edler on his "wrong" side and see how much he looks like he is worth. I can think of no aspect of Edler's play which is superior to Ballard when Ballard is in his natural position.

As for the second point imo Garrison has not proved himself to be worth his (very good) deal yet and as we don't know what Edler is wanting, then again imo as long as it is no more than Garrison I would be fine with that. Edler is not an elite defender yet in my book.

So yes if he can't settle for the same as Garrison or less, I see nothing wrong in trading him.

There is a thing that permeates through CDC where many fans expect to get something for nothing. If we want to improve the team (maybe you don't think it needs improving....fine) then you have to give something, often something good up.

Personally I like all our players (ok I'm not exactly over the moon with Booth's style of play) however at the end of the day none of us here are qualified to evaluate a player's worth to the team, or what the trading of a player would bring back, or even what areas of the team we need to improve, if any.

It is all about opinions, but the ones that count are all managing or coaching the Canucks and I'm quite happy to leave it up to them.
Kevin.jpg

#80 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

So yes if he can't settle for the same as Garrison or less, I see nothing wrong in trading him.

You'll be sadly disappointed. Edler is considerably more proven than Garrison. Edler would easily get 7m on the open market. I'll be quite pleased if he signs here for 5.5m. And I'd happily give up Ballard to keep Edler.
Posted Image

#81 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

You'll be sadly disappointed. Edler is considerably more proven than Garrison. Edler would easily get 7m on the open market. I'll be quite pleased if he signs here for 5.5m. And I'd happily give up Ballard to keep Edler.

^^ This x1000.

People thinking our internal salary structure doesn't allow for anyone to earn more than someone else are going to be surprised at what Edler gets. That internal salary structure just means players have to be willing to sign for an amount that is reasonable considering their worth.

UFA signings like Garrison typically are a little on the higher side, but he has shown he can at least be defensively capable. Hamhuis had proven himself more than Garrison but the difference in the market from then to now allowing for a larger payout doesn't indicate Garrison is better than Hamhuis.

Edler's value will be dictated by the new CBA to an extent, but he will be able to earn $5M and up with us. If we aren't willing to pay that then it will have been a waste developing him all these years. A team with good financial support like the Canucks have isn't worried about keeping Edler if he truly wants to be here.

#82 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Ballard better than edler? :picard: oh man .. some people
Posted Image

#83 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

Ballard better than edler? :picard: oh man .. some people

Edler better than Ballard? :picard: oh man .. some people...............do you see what I just did there............

It's all about opinions man and when Edler gets moved to his wrong side and played with a rookie come back and we'll discuss it.

By the way which of the two showed up in the playoffs?

Edited by Bodee, 09 October 2012 - 02:05 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#84 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Depends on what the return is, everyone is tradable if the price is right

#85 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I understand how some of the kids whine about keeping Edler and lord bless em. But you damn well know better Baggins.

Re read your own post. He either gets overpaid here or somewhere else. MG will NOT give him 5.5 mil . He will NOT give him 6 mil

So I have no idea on what PLANET or alternate universe you see where after all this time NOW Edler decides to take a 'hometown discount' .

His stupid agent has caught Erhoff disease and thinks because he gets second assists with the Sedins on the Powerplay he is now in Suter territory.

So............since MG is not an idiot and will not insult the rest of the defensive core - Especially Hamhuis who came all the way here as a UFA - Edler is going to walk out a UFA to get overpaid elsewhere.

Ergo we need to trade him , but we cant if there is no CBA to trade him with. He should have been traded by Sept 15th.
Posted Image

#86 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I really don't see him getting more than Enstrom, particularly if the new CBA isn't favourable for him, so $6M is unlikely unless he gets it from someone else in free agency. I don't know if $5.5M would be considered a discount, but it'd be more plausible than people suggesting he'll get less than Garrison (and Bieksa, and possibly Hamhuis).

Everything else you're saying is unsubstantiated opinion at best. We don't know what was offered in the talks they had prior to the lockout, nor do we know what Edler (and his agent) feel he deserves. We do know Gillis has said Edler wants to be here and whatever they discussed, Gillis ended up wanting to see what the new CBA will entail before inking Edler to a deal.

My previous posts have mentioned this as well, but the cap hit he ends up with depends a lot on the factors surrounding the contract: is there an NTC, short term or long term, what's in the new CBA, etc.

Edited by elvis15, 09 October 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#87 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

We can't keep losing players for nothing. If he has not resigned, make the tuff decision and move him.
Posted Image

#88 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

I understand how some of the kids whine about keeping Edler and lord bless em. But you damn well know better Baggins.

Re read your own post. He either gets overpaid here or somewhere else. MG will NOT give him 5.5 mil . He will NOT give him 6 mil

So I have no idea on what PLANET or alternate universe you see where after all this time NOW Edler decides to take a 'hometown discount' .

His stupid agent has caught Erhoff disease and thinks because he gets second assists with the Sedins on the Powerplay he is now in Suter territory.

So............since MG is not an idiot and will not insult the rest of the defensive core - Especially Hamhuis who came all the way here as a UFA - Edler is going to walk out a UFA to get overpaid elsewhere.

Ergo we need to trade him , but we cant if there is no CBA to trade him with. He should have been traded by Sept 15th.

The numbers I'm giving are based on the expired CBA as we don't know what the new CBA will hold. But yes, Edlers current open market value would easily be 7m. Take a look at what Suter and Weber got (salaries not cap hits) and tell me Edler is only worth 4m. What Hamhuis is making is irrelevant to Edlers deal as he signed it 2 years ago. You have to compare Edler to contracts signed this year to see his market value. Analysts were estimating Weber at 10m and he got more. I fully expect Edler to be willing to take less than market value to stay. But not 3m less. As I said, I'd be pretty happy with 5.5m.
Posted Image

#89 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

We can't keep losing players for nothing. If he has not resigned, make the tuff decision and move him.

It happens to contenders every year. I don't ever recall a contender trading away any of their quality pending UFA's at the trade deadline. It's rare for a team battling for a playoff spot to trade a pending UFA. Typically it's only the teams that have lost hope of making the playoffs that trade pending UFA's.

Where did you think all the summer UFA's come from?
Posted Image

#90 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Now that bold part is just plain stupid. Are we more likely to win the cup with Edler or the prospect and draft pick we'd get in exchange for him? Which do you really think will be more likely to help in the playoffs?

If you weaken your team for the playoffs out of fear of losing a player to free agency you'll never win the cup. So yes, I'd rather risk losing Edler for nothing (as every other GM does with their pending UFA's) than hurt our chance at winning a cup.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.