The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Voted City With the World’s Best Reputation

:D

You're pointing at "North American" stats, that appear to only cover USA and Canada. If that's what "traveling around the world many times" meant, than I am sorry - my bad.

If you care for an unbiased, global perspective, look for the IBM 2011 Commuter Pain Index.

http://www-03.ibm.co...lease/35359.wss

Maybe after your first visit to Mexico City or Beijing, among many others, you will understand how fortunate you are to commute in our "atrocious" traffic.

A la vôtre!

Socrates

When I wrote my original post, I was never proposing that it was the worse in the world. All I said was that it was awful, hoping that one day it will be better. I've been to Shanghai, Seoul, Budapest, London, Paris, Cancun, New York, Los Angeles and the list goes on.

Some are worse, some are better. Traffic is least of my worries but it is an annoyance.

The World's Most Eco-

Friendly Cities

Thoughts of a greener earth may call to mind rolling pastures and snow-topped mountains. Certainly the wide-open spaces of the planet are eco-friendly, but don't rule out cities for their share of "green."

There are many cities around the world that do their parts to make this planet a better place. And with thousands to millions occupying these close-contained areas, every little bit helps.

According to research as recent as 2009, here are the top picks for the most environmentally friendly cities across the planet.

10. Sydney, Australia. Sydney employs many green initiatives, including innovative food-waste management and raised awareness of global warming. Australia also was the first to reduce usage of inefficient, energy-hogging light bulbs.

9. Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador. When natural disasters devastated the city in the late 1990s, the government instituted a plan to rebuild the city in a more sustainable way. The city is also marketing itself as a destination for eco-tourists.

8. San Francisco, California. Nearly 20 percent of the city is devoted to parks and green spaces. Also, more than half of all residents bike, walk or take public transportation to work every day.

7. London, England. Under London's Climate Action Plan, the city will switch 25 percent of its power to locally generated, more-efficient sources, cut CO2 emissions by 60 percent within the next 20 years, and offer incentives to residents who improve the energy efficiency of their homes.

6. Copenhagen, Denmark. Copenhagen has won awards for cleaning up its waterways. It also has one of the highest concentrations of cyclists.

5. Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver draws 90 percent of its power from natural sources and is the largest user of hydroelectric power.

4. Malmoe, Sweden. This city is known for its extensive green spaces and parks. It is also rebuilding using innovative designs that employ green methods of building and design.

3. Curitiba, Brazil. Curitiba boasts one of the best bus systems in the world, enabling residents to save on energy by using public transportation. Parks are kept tidy by lawn-eating sheep.

2. Portland, Oregon. Portland is the first U.S. city to enact a plan to reduce CO2 emissions. It also has 92,000 acres of green space. It is touted as one of the greenest places to live.

1. Reykjavik, Iceland. This city earns the No. 1 spot by using hydrogen-fueled buses and renewable energy provided by geothermal and hydropower sources. In addition, Reykjavik plans to be fossil-fuel-free by 2050.

^Props to Iceland, wow

I love going to Van whenever I get the chance, but I also have never been further than Alberta.

I'm still happy to hear this though, what a great city.

To all the people IN the city that criticize it. Have you ever been to ANY other city? Our problems are usually pretty small in comparison. Seriously the #1 most talked about issue on our radios is usually bicyclists, compare that to an American city of our size who often have to deal with a lot more random criminal acts..

People who take this city for granted are often the biggest idiots I meet.

Archived