Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

THE RECIPE THREAD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

I know you foodies are out there! We definitely have some great cooks and chefs here at CDC, so I hope you guys will contribute.

What I'd like to do here is to compile a great archive of recipes. Be they recipes you've learned from a book, friends, family, or recipes you've created yourself, share them! I know many people (myself included) rarely cook using recipes, but the knowledge is still invaluable, and we can all learn!

Please post the recipes in a the format below (so we can keep the thread organized and looking nice), and try to include pictures if you can!

Edited by Jai604, 01 October 2012 - 03:36 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#2 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

Name of Recipe:

Ingredients:

Method:

Plating Suggestions:

Beverage Pairing: (if applicable)

Photo: (if available)

Comments: (where did you learn this recipe, or what inspired you to create it, or share a anecdote related to this recipe, such as a fond memory)

Edited by Jai604, 01 October 2012 - 03:34 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#3 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I'll first post a recipe that isn't one of my own, but one from Araxi (the famous restaurant in Whistler) by James Walt. Deceptively simple, and great because the gnocchi can be frozen.

Ricotta Gnocchi with Toasted Hazelnuts and Sage

Ingredients:

1 1/8 lbs/500 g ricotta cheese, strained overnight to remove moisture
1 large egg
1 ½ tsp / 7.5 mL kosher salt
¼ tsp / 1 mL freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup / 240 mL all-purpose flour
1 cup / 250 mL vegetable nage
2 Tbsp / 30 mL butter, cold
1 Tbsp / 15 mL chopped chives
¾ cup / 180 mL hazelnuts, toasted
¼ cup / 60 mL grated pecorino Romano cheese
20 dried sage leaves

Method:

Combine the ricotta, egg, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated. Add the flour all at once and, with a fork or a pastry cutter, gently but swiftly work the mixture into a soft dough. Be careful not to overwork the dough, as it could become tough when cooked.

Lightly dust a medium bowl with flour. Add the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Lightly flour a clean work surface and a large plate. Divide the dough into 3 or 4 parts, then roll each piece between your palms into a log 3/4 inch/2 cm in diameter. Using a small knife or a pastry scraper, cut each log into ten to twelve 1-inch/2.5-cm pieces, then transfer these gnocchi to the plate and refrigerate them for 30 minutes, until chilled.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil on high heat. Add the gnocchi and cook them until they float, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse the gnocchi. Transfer the gnocchi to a sauté pan, add the vegetable nage and heat on medium heat until the nage has nearly reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter, chives and hazelnuts. Add half the pecorino Romano and toss gently.

Plating Suggestions:

Divide the gnocchi and sauce among 4 bowls. Garnish with sage leaves and the remaining pecorino Romano.

Beverage Pairing:

Russian River Chardonnay or white Burgundy, like Chassagne or Puligny-Montrachet; or, if you must have red, mature Barbaresco or Brunello could be magic.

Posted Image

Edited by Jai604, 01 October 2012 - 03:34 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#4 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Good idea. Unfortunately this is at least the third recipe thread ive seen and they tend to die out quick.

Most people are too lazy to cook beyond basic recipes.

I think Magikal is a cook or was maybe hell share.

I cook almost every night and generally i dont follow recipes i make it up at i go.

Right now im about to make boneless buffalo Wings with a twist. Basically i want to barbeque them and not fry Amd batter them but i want the sauce to stick so i came up with an idea that might work.

Ill let you know.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#5 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,959 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

One of my favourites I make every summer is BBQ Pears. I don't have the measurements handy, but you can tailor it to taste so here's the gist.

Ingredients:
Pears (3 or 4 is usually more than enough for 4 people, do 2 for 2 people)
Blue cheese (pre-crumbled is easier, but you can get a smaller wedge and be fine)
Ham (can get one of the nuggets or just a ham slice or two)
Nuts (mixed nuts is best, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, etc)
Green onion

Directions:
The last four ingedients will be used as a stuffing, so make enough to fit into each pear halve with some of the center scooped out. It can be prepared a little earlier and put in the fridge for when you're ready to BBQ. Chop up each into small pieces (not too fine, you still want it a little chunky rather than it being blended) and add together with about 1/3 cheese, 1/3 ham, 1/3 green onion and nuts. You can have less blue cheese and more nuts, or more ham, or whatever, but I find that works best.

Once you're ready to BBQ, halve the pears, then scoop out some of the center of each. You'll need to remove at least enough to take out the core but only so much as to fit the stuffing you want to have in each half. I have the stuffing coming out of the top a bit, but not so much it's falling out before it cooks and melts together.

Make space on the BBQ to fit them all together, on a section with low heat. Put them on pear-side down and cook for 2 minutes. While they're cooking get a piece of tin foil big enough to cover all the pears and fold down the edges to create a bit of a lid. After the pears have been on for 2 minutes, cover them with the foil and let cook for 3 more minutes.

You can adjust the cooking time for your BBQ, but the pear meat should be starting to soften a little but not overcook.

Pairings:
This goes great with steaks in particular (bacon wrapped filet mignon is a favourite), and I use it instead of potatoes or rice. You can have it alongside those as well, but a light salad on the side is plenty to go with whatever meat you've chosen. I find most people will eat one half and be good, but if you really love them like I do, have an extra half or two for seconds.

I've also made this as an salad itself, slicing up the pear to go with the stuffing mixture. I usually use spinach or arugula/mixed greens. There are lots of options for pear/blue cheese dressings, so you can use one of those and cut back on the blue cheese you add to the stuffing but I like to still have some crumbled in with the ham/nuts/green onions.

However you eat it, you can match up your wine with the rest of the meal (red for steaks). I'm a beer guy though, so pick a citrusy beer like a heifeweizen wheat ale, maybe a Hoegaarden if you go that route.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#6 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Good idea. Unfortunately this is at least the third recipe thread ive seen and they tend to die out quick.

Most people are too lazy to cook beyond basic recipes.

I think Magikal is a cook or was maybe hell share.

I cook almost every night and generally i dont follow recipes i make it up at i go.

Right now im about to make boneless buffalo Wings with a twist. Basically i want to barbeque them and not fry Amd batter them but i want the sauce to stick so i came up with an idea that might work.

Ill let you know.

Yeah I also never cook using recipes, but getting ideas is always good, and one can always incorporate new things into one's cooking.

Cool, thanks for the pear recipe, elvis. They sound awesome.

*edit* Come on Deb, I know you cook ::D

Edited by Jai604, 01 October 2012 - 05:35 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#7 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Name of Recipe: Bacon

Ingredients:

Pork Belly strips.

Method:

Cook over heat source until desired crispness ratio, remove from heat source and plate with desired garnishes or eat plain. Such garnishes include but are not limited to, more bacon, Baconaise, or Canadian bacon.

*Note*

Consuming uncooked pork belly strips could put you at a higher risk of contracting Botulism.

Plating Suggestions:

Three strips (we all know your lying)

Beverage Pairing:

Old No. 7 Brand Quality Tennessee Sour Mash.

Picture:

Posted Image

Comments:

Bacon is the only food that makes other foods better.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#8 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#9 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

HAM VEGIE ROLLS

INGREDIENTS
capsicum , onion, corn ,prime virginia mushroom , ham , 2 sheets of pastry .

dice the vegetables very fine , spread about half an inch thck on pastry , then place thin slices of ham on top of vegies .

Roll the the pastry up so there will be uncooked pastry in the midlle of the roll , and layers of vegies and pastry inside the roll .

place in an oven preheated to 180 degree's and cook for 30 minutes .

serves 2

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 02 October 2012 - 02:02 AM.

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.