The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Jaden Schwartz

How much do you guys think it would take to get Schwartz out of St.Louis? He's a promising young player, who could add some youth to our line-up as well as skill. I don't think an overpayment would be necessary considering St.Louis looks ready to make a playoff push and some experience could prove useful.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=7940

Edler- 26 yrs old, 50 point player, coming into his prime, on a team like St. Louis he could put up 60 points. He has more playoff experience than all of their d men combined and u think he is a starting point for a guy who hasn't played a full season in the NHL, and it's not like he is projected to be the next Crosby either. Wowsers

Edler- 26 yrs old, 50 point player, coming into his prime, on a team like St. Louis he could put up 60 points. He has more playoff experience than all of their d men combined and u think he is a starting point for a guy who hasn't played a full season in the NHL, and it's not like he is projected to be the next Crosby either. Wowsers

The question should be, what does he bring to the table, in particular for this team, that it would be worth bringing him over? What about his game (or anyone else who's proposed for) makes it so necessary to break the team chemistry apart (and the bank) just to incorporate him into the team? (i.e. why would management want him? His perceived value on the market may be high but would the cost be justified by the team's demand for him? This would be similar to the Cody for Zack deal last deadline-- that was to fill a need (scoring for a PF who was perceived to be ready to step in and contribute), and with the tight cap space and limited assets the cost for this team would be very high since so many pieces are already basically locked into the roster)

Would he be the 3rd line center? (The team's perceived needs should be topped by the category "size", and Jaden's only 5'9")

The team should already have enough smaller, skilled guys. I don't think that he would really be necessary to acquire esp. if guys like Kassian, Jensen (big guys with skill) and Schroeder (young gun, maybe not at Jaden's skill level but he's no slouch either) make the team down the road in the near future.

Vancouver's cap management is very stringent (with guys like Gilman running the show he wouldn't sell value contracts like Kesler just for a Schwartz,and the Blues have a glut of skilled forwards themselves; I would also only trade Edler for another young defenseman in a hockey trade), the depth on Vancouver's team honestly isn't very good (not helped by mediocre draft records and the fact that a certain player in #9 was traded), and so unless Jaden is the next coming of the franchise's elite scoring forward I would not let those two (Kes or Eddie) go just to bring back a hot-shot prospect.

Archived