Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Kesler out 'til January due to offseason shoulder, and wrist surgeries...

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Trainers are hugely responsible for this. As a trainer they should know when players are ready to go on the ice 100%.

Everybody knew by watching Kesler that he didn't have it. Yet instead of shutting him down and thinking about his and the teams future, the regular season was more important.

We have the stupidest coaching staff and trainers in the league.

This could be a great point. I wonder, if Kes says "I'm ready to go, let me in" and trainers/doctors say "well... maybe", then ultimately, it's on Kesler to deal with the pain when slotted into the lineup right?. The problem is that last year, and the year before, he couldn't play through it to the best of his ability.

I'm confident he can find his form again, he is relatively young afterall, he just needs to heal completely. Thank Christ there won't be a season and he will have that time to do so.

It has always pissed me off that 2 years ago he was back before Christmas when it was so apparent that he was not ready.

#32 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Funny how the team thought he would be ready for the start of the season, and so did he after the surgery.
Then as soon as most people started realizing the possibility of the lockout, he hit a snag in his rehab.
Now he's not ready till January.

Weird thing is, injured players still get paid. Smart move by Keslers' agent. I remember how strange it was back in the summer when his agent freaked out when the Canucks' said he might be ready for October. Jumping up and down saying "No, No, NO!!!!"

I would be willing to bet if the lockout suddenly ended in late November, Kesler would be good to go.

Edited by jagori78, 01 October 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#33 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

I hope regardless of when the lockout ends, that Kesler actually takes the time to properly rest. We need him 100% like the 10/11 season.

Also a pass here and there to Booth, he seems to have a decent shot these days. ;)
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#34 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

The wrist surgery was news to me. I knew he had shoulder surgery, but hey....... I think he knew there was a high chance of a lock out, might as well take this oppurtunity to heal up everything. I just want to see him at a 100% by 2013 2014.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#35 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

No season anyway :P

But for Kes' sake, hope he gets well soon.
Posted Image

#36 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Seeing as the season is in jeopardy and if it does start won't be until January...this ain't all that bad. I hope he heals up quick too.

He's a key piece on the team but I'd argue the 'captaincy' issue - I know this has been beat to death, but I just can't see Kes being the captain.

He plays hard and can lead on the ice - but it's his off-ice manners that don't do it for me.

He's a big whiner (yes get over it) and he dives quite a bit. This and his arrogance (can be a good thing!) doesn't lead me to believe he'd make a great captain for this team. Just my 2 cents

Get well soon Kes! #beastmode

Agreed. Hank might not be the toughest captain and rarely protects his teammates, but he is a great captain off ice. He is generous and represents the club well.
Posted Image

#37 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's not just healing time, still need an offseason of training after recovery to regain form. He will likely suck for 2-3 months after being "healthy".

#38 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

It's not just healing time, still need an offseason of training after recovery to regain form. He will likely suck for 2-3 months after being "healthy".

I agree, but I feel that the whole team will too. Guys are either sitting idle or building up for a season with other line-ups or teams. That chemistry will continue to stifle or be non existent the longer they don't play as a team. Which for Kesler may be his only saving grace, not looking like the only one trying to get things rolling again.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#39 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Well, with the lockout. At least we don't have to see the Canucks having a slow start to the season in October.

No, the slow start will be in February, when we need wins.Short season would work against the Canucks, I think

#40 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Personally, I don't think he'll ever be the same player. Hip surgery, wrist surgery, shoulder surgery...just seems like he's beat up all the time. Hopefully he comes back 100% and can become that dominant player we saw during "the year that shall not be named"....but, in my opinion, it doesnt look promising.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong! :towel:

Let me help you out here, you're wrong!

#41 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Oh how funny, people making fun of someone for breaking news that was mildly old. News flash, not all of us are reading hockey news every day by the minute anymore because the lockout is BS and we actually like to WATCH sports, not read about retarded lawyer negotiations. I found the thread to be informative, and I certainly hope Kesler recovers well--he's obviously one of the keys for us ever winning a cup with this core. Thanks for the post OP.

#42 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

even with rehab...his shot isn't going to be the same. kesler will not be the same.

I remember hearing about Drew Brees tearing his labrum like kes a few years back.

Brees had a similar procedure to repair it and he was never the same.

You dam well know the chargers are happy they let him walk.

How stupid would the Dolphins looked if they woulda signed him hahaha!!! Man oh man!!

So ya, you are correct it's totally hopeless.

Kes is done

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#43 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

I remember hearing about Drew Brees tearing his labrum like kes a few years back.

Brees had a similar procedure to repair it and he was never the same.

You dam well know the chargers are happy they let him walk.

How stupid would the Dolphins looked if they woulda signed him hahaha!!! Man oh man!!

So ya, you are correct it's totally hopeless.

Kes is done

Cool football comparison. Luckily for us people deal with injuries differently (and indeed every injury is different) and they're in completely different sports and positions, so the comparison is moronic.

#44 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Lucky there's a lockout then. This is a blessing in disguise - the Canucks would have struggled with 1 offensive centerman for 3 months.

This team is quickly falling from the bullet-proof squad it once was and now more and more holes are emerging. We still lack defensive depth and quality (only 4 guys who can play 20-minutes of decent defence, so we'd be in trouble with injuries) and most importantly our depth at center is now shocking.

We've gone from Henrik (100pt player), Kesler (70pt player), Hodgson (40pt player), Lapierre (30pt player) and Malhotra (30pt player) to Henrik (80pt player), Lapierre (30pt player) and Malhotra (20pt player). That's scarily thin where it matters most.
Posted Image

#45 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Lucky there's a lockout then. This is a blessing in disguise - the Canucks would have struggled with 1 offensive centerman for 3 months.

This team is quickly falling from the bullet-proof squad it once was and now more and more holes are emerging. We still lack defensive depth and quality (only 4 guys who can play 20-minutes of decent defence, so we'd be in trouble with injuries) and most importantly our depth at center is now shocking.

We've gone from Henrik (100pt player), Kesler (70pt player), Hodgson (40pt player), Lapierre (30pt player) and Malhotra (30pt player) to Henrik (80pt player), Lapierre (30pt player) and Malhotra (20pt player). That's scarily thin where it matters most.

I disagree with your assessment that our D-core will be inferior to previous seasons. I think Garrison, Tanev, and Ballard will fill in the bottom 3 very nicely while Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler will be great for us again in the top roles. Our D-core would be the envy of most teams in the NHL I think. Tanev and Ballard are a far superior 3rd pairing to what the vast majority of teams have. If size and physicality is a big issue, give Alberts a game or two when it matters.

I agree with your assessment of our centermen though. I think we're obviously missing a proven 3rd line centerman now with Pahlson gone, Malhotra's career changing injury and Hodgson's exit. The Canucks can take their chances with Lapierre on 3rd center though, and I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what he can do. He was quite good for us in the playoffs when Malhotra went down and he took over the role. He has speed, grit, and is defensively capable. I also think Arnott deserves a look to sign for that role....
Malhotra can definitely handle our 4th line center.

PS: I also think Ebbett deserves a chance. He's shown he can put up some timely goals and offence given minutes.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 02 October 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#46 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Cool football comparison. Luckily for us people deal with injuries differently (and indeed every injury is different) and they're in completely different sports and positions, so the comparison is moronic.

My point was it is possible to recover and thrive from such a procedure. It was the same injury and the same procedure.

I was not comparing sports I was comparing athletes with the same injury, you clearly missed that.

And why are you so angry? Relax man!
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#47 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

Also, no Hodgson so whose gonna replace Kesler? Kassian?

This is a new and interesting perspective. I can't believe it took this many months to bring it up.

#48 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

Injury prone much? And for the people who think the lockout is a blessing, it's really not. Kesler has had surgery on both hips, his shoulder, and now his wrist. You never really seem to recover 100% from these things, and even if he like recovered 95-99% of the way he was before, with so many surgeries, to so many areas, it's really just going to chip away.

His shoulders and wrist will likely bugger up his shot, which considering last year, was already kind of buggered up. His hips will hurt his speed and a lot of his core strength. Could be worse, could be his knee but.. kinda like Havlat and Gaborik. They were really good players, and then had so many problems with nagging injuries it just took away from them in a big way.

Our second line already blew, and another year passed without MG doing anything about it. And now we have a diminishing Kesler, and an aging set of twins on the top line. Our prospect pool is pretty pathetic.. so yeah. The window probably already passed, but get ready for some mediocre hockey in the next few years if some trades or amazing signings don't happen very quickly.

#49 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

Trainers are hugely responsible for this. As a trainer they should know when players are ready to go on the ice 100%.

Everybody knew by watching Kesler that he didn't have it. Yet instead of shutting him down and thinking about his and the teams future, the regular season was more important.

Also, no Hodgson so whose gonna replace Kesler? Kassian? Posted Image

Sometimes athletes make the choice to go out even though they know they are injured because they can't bear to let their teammates & fans down. Look at Willis Reed in a game 7 playoff game, he was ruled out but instead he came on and played, mind you he only scored the 1st 2 baskets, sometimes you can't keep the players out of the game and Kes belongs in this kind of category.

#50 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Why do people on this forum give up on our players so easily?

Honestly, if you are truly a fan, then give them the benefit of the doubt. At least let him prove whether he can bounce back instead of just writing him off so easily.

I still believe in Kes :towel:

I don't think people have given up, I think its more of how his attitude has changed since the cup run/selke win. He went from the hardest working guy on the team, a true leader, who wanted to get better every day, to a prima donna. Subsequently (and no arguments clearly his injuries impacted his play), his play diminished significantly.

I don't think people are upset about the lack of scoring as they are they effort, whining, diving, lack of using his teammates, trying to be the man attitude...he just hasn't shown the same 'team guy' play he did when he broke in, worked his way up from the third line.

He was on the cusp of becoming a superstar, and it went to his head, that's why people are upset with him.

#51 Stelar

Stelar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Funny how the team thought he would be ready for the start of the season, and so did he after the surgery.
Then as soon as most people started realizing the possibility of the lockout, he hit a snag in his rehab.
Now he's not ready till January.

Weird thing is, injured players still get paid. Smart move by Keslers' agent. I remember how strange it was back in the summer when his agent freaked out when the Canucks' said he might be ready for October. Jumping up and down saying "No, No, NO!!!!"

I would be willing to bet if the lockout suddenly ended in late November, Kesler would be good to go.

So true. I thought the exact thing when his agent was saying he wouldn't be ready soon.

Sounds like Kesler's character to pull that. Oh well. At least we didn't make him captain when tons on here wanted him to be.
Things you own, end up owning you.

#52 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

I would not question Kesler or his agents character as much as I'd question the Canuck medical staff and the way they report and deal with injuries.
Kesler
hodgson
Mitchell
All had "errors" in regards to their injuries and I figure I've temporarily forgotten a few more mistakes.

#53 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Good thing MG traded Hodgson for Kassian...

oh wait.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#54 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,423 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Also, no Hodgson so whose gonna replace Kesler? Kassian? Posted Image

In terms of dealing with injuries yes our coaching staff and trainers are completely incompetent. I still remember AV saying that "Kesler can play but he'd better not limp around or be whining about it." So stupid Kesler just plays all year while he is hurt. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Regardless of what the article says you know he's playing as soon as the league starts even if it's tomorrow. Tragic, the only thing that can save our season is no season so he can bloody well heal up.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#55 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hello...this is an announcement that will allow him to keep getting paid. Injured players are paid during the lockout.

No reason to come back early and lose $$$$!

#56 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Its almost kind of funny how shortly after the lockout is announced, his recovery time increased as he is being paid full salary. Just sayin.

How does this affect his Salary when you have a lockout? Players don't get paid during a lockout! Some injuries take longer then expected.

#57 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Personally, I don't think he'll ever be the same player. Hip surgery, wrist surgery, shoulder surgery...just seems like he's beat up all the time. Hopefully he comes back 100% and can become that dominant player we saw during "the year that shall not be named"....but, in my opinion, it doesnt look promising.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong! :towel:

Numbers say you likely ain't wrong even if he makes a 110% recovery. Scoring is a young man's craft; goal scoring in particular. Sedins were freaks of nature.

http://aol.sportingn...9/sidney-crosby

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

How is that Doan non-signing looking now? I feel we dodged a bullet there.

#58 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Sometimes athletes make the choice to go out even though they know they are injured because they can't bear to let their teammates & fans down. Look at Willis Reed in a game 7 playoff game, he was ruled out but instead he came on and played, mind you he only scored the 1st 2 baskets, sometimes you can't keep the players out of the game and Kes belongs in this kind of category.

Riding high 1st in the conference in February isn't a do or die sitution. He played cuz he was being selfish. And probably afraid that Hodgson would take over his 2nd line spot.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#59 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

He can make a full recovery. Those injuries aren't ones that mentally screw with your head - like concussions do.

But let's be clear: full recovery is not 40+ goals, but it is probably a point/game or close by 10 points or so... Full recovery is being an effective selke contender at the same time.

#60 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Good thing MG traded Hodgson for Kassian...

oh wait.

yeah it was , hodgson was lucky to get the points he did and is one foligno hit away from being in a hospital bed for the rest of his life

screw that fragile douche , id rather have a goon / pf in kassian then a feline little hodgson getting his daddy to solve all his problems

im sure most of you can relate tho , whiney little bitch ass daddy boys
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.