Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What would it take for Bettman to finally be fired?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 brenbowa

brenbowa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

After 3 lockouts and the NHL and its reputation falling faster by the second, how could anyone possibly want to keep this guy employed any longer. Some say that its not Bettman's fault that he is only doing what the owners tell him and if that is true than why do you need to spend 8 million a year on a hand puppet. I am positive that if the owners come to their senses and fire Buttman and replace him with a guy like Gretzky there would be a deal done within a week.

There seems to me a delusion that Bettman has that the NHLPA will break if he holds his breath long enough. But realistically the Union has much more solidarity than the last lockout and with the proper revenue sharing proposal that Fehr and the PA gave the NHL someone will have to decide who's to blame for all of this. Last time the players gave back everything to the owners and the system that Bettman drew up and failed yet again. The only teams that get any money from the NHL are the failed markets that idiots like Bettman put in the first place. But teams like Anahiem, StL,Isles or teams in large markets get nothing which is completely unfair.

If Bettman had any brains he would try to negotiate a one year deal to save the season and try to get some more time to fix things otherwise you are going to lose the rest of the US market and will only have Canada left and even that will be tenuous at best.

#2 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

To answer your question. Bettman will be fired when the owners decide that they don't trust him anymore.

Unfortunately, no one, not even Mr.Gretzky himself would believe that Gretzky would be a good commissioner. It doesn't matter who is the in Bettman's place. Whoever it'll be, people will hate him. It's part of the job.

Why he's making 8 million dollars? Why not? Ever heard of a pyramid scheme? You wonder why you don't make more than your bosses?

Rest of your post; It's called bargaining. Why not continue the season? Why not let the problems drag on?

Calm down, the NHL hasn't cancelled any games yet. If it gets past January and there's no progress then we'll have a problem. Everything is moving at the expected pace.

Edited by Rey, 02 October 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#3 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

sign the petition by hockeyyinsiderr and he will be fired right away

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#4 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

Why he's making 8 million dollars? Why not? Ever heard of a pyramid scheme? You wonder why you don't make more than your bosses?

Wouldn't that make Sidney Crosby the CEO of the NHL? The lockout is the product of rich people wanting to make more money and cannot be entirely blamed on Bettman.

Posted Image

#5 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

The NHL would have to have profits decrease.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#6 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

A loss of revenue for owners. So never

Edited by JordanEberle, 02 October 2012 - 07:42 AM.

Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#7 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

once the owners learned how to be fiscally responsible and not need someone to tear down the trust and partnership with the players...

#8 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

I don't understand why people aren't more angry at the players... I mean they make a sick amount of money!

#9 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Ever heard of a pyramid scheme?

If it was a pyramid scheme, then Columbus and Minnesota would have bought their teams from Atlanta and Nashville or some other established franchise. Pyramid schemes work (temporarily) by newcomers selling the concept to the next generation of suckers and passing the profits up the chain. The whole thing collapses when they run out of suckers.

As for the OP, Bettman will be fired when he fails to accomplish what the owners want him to. As far as the owners are concerned, the last lockouts were a success. They got what they wanted out of the PA.

And, for the Gretzky idea, you may be interested in this thread... http://forum.canucks...rry-or-gretzky/
Posted Image

#10 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

It will take at least one more anti-Bettman thread!
Posted Image

#11 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

2 things, a fan revolt that results in a major financial hurt to the NHL, and a group of owners who actually care about the game rather than just trying to flip a franchise for a profit.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#12 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

First thread I see upon waking up.

Screw this, I'm going back to bed.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#13 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,641 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Pyramid schemes are things like Amway. Where your profits are based on getting new territory and hiring lots of reps who give you a cut of their profit. Of course the goal is to get enough reps so you don't have to do any work while the suckers below dream of getting rich, you already will be. The NHL is too flat in it's structure to be that way.

What is clear is the owners should be looking at performance of their commissioner in aspects beyond just "making money". Is he growing the struggling markets? No. Has he fixed the problem in Phoenix where the NHL owners have been footing the bill? I say no until there's an announcement of new ownership. Is the TV deal they have the best for long term growth. I say without ESPN in the states I'd say no. Teams in strong markets like Long Island, and New Jersey are having issues. The number of labor disputes also leaves a dark cloud over him, even if he wins the battles, he's losing a war in getting and keeping fans.

I'd get someone who's been a player, and an executive, someone that's worked in say junior and the NHL level. Someone who understands hockey. Then hire a group of marketing executives and tv sports people. I'd give ESPN a sweetheart deal to get games back on ESPN or ESPN2 all in HD. Exposure is what the NHL needs. We have an exciting and entertaining sport and people in the US don't get decent coverage of it.

I'd say the fact the league still has Gary as it's commissioner says something about the owners more than anything.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#14 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

A more important question is, how many owners does it take in a vote to have him fired? I thought I heard somewhere its more than 50/50 in a vote?

#15 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

The owners are the ones who can fire Bettman, and they are quite pleased with him after the last lockout, as this New York Times article points out. This is all about money, so, if this lockout cramps the billionaire owners' lifestyle, then you might see them get grumpy and want to get rid of Bettman. But for now, they're united behind him. Hockey fans? Not so much.

Edited by GayCanuck, 02 October 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#16 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

The owners are the ones who can fire Bettman, and they are quite pleased with him after the last lockout, as this New York Times article points out. This is all about money, so, if this lockout cramps the billionaire owners' lifestyle, then you might see them get grumpy and want to get rid of Bettman. But for now, they're united behind him. Hockey fans? Not so much.

Exactly, according to the owners he is doing well. Bettman will not be fired unless he crosses them.

Many fans may not like him, but too bad so sad, he is here to stay

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#17 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

A more important question is, how many owners does it take in a vote to have him fired? I thought I heard somewhere its more than 50/50 in a vote?

I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least 60% was required. Changing up the commissioner is not a trivial matter. It's not something you want to do on a whim.
Posted Image

#18 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Bettman is hired by the owners they seem to like him.

#19 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hell to freeze over. He just got a 5 year extension last year.

#20 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Fired?! I dont think hes even human.

I dont think he can even be killed unless you put a stake in his heart or... have you ever seen the movie Blade?

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 02 October 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Apparently owners think that lockouts are good things because it gets them more money. So based on Bettman's track record of three lockouts, I guess you'd have to say he's doing great.

The only question is, how many times can you treat your fans like crap before they finally give up on the NHL and look elsewhere for entertainment?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#22 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

As many have stated, Bettman is just an expression of the owner's sympathies. He's not a puppet per se, but he is in line with their thinking (at least a good number of them). And their thinking is that they could be making more money. Player relations, fan relations, honouring previous contracts all don't seem to matter. A lockout is the best way to make that money and the Phoenix deal may be more dependent on a new CBA than we realize.

Getting back to the OPs question though, Bettman won't be fired. He'll only be out of the job when the league splits. In the same way CART broke away from Indy racing, we'll likely see a new league form as some owners and players jump ship. Player and fan relations can only be so broken before this is inevitable. Then, when franchises are being closed down, we'll see Bettman go. It doesn't have to be this way. People want hockey but the owners are an unfortunate combination of greedy and not quite smart enough to see how, as they try to grab more of the pie, they damage their chances there will be a pie in 5 years.

#23 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

First thread I see upon waking up.
make pointless post
Screw this, I'm going back to bed.

Posted Image

#24 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

Pyramid schemes are things like Amway. Where your profits are based on getting new territory and hiring lots of reps who give you a cut of their profit. Of course the goal is to get enough reps so you don't have to do any work while the suckers below dream of getting rich, you already will be. The NHL is too flat in it's structure to be that way.

What is clear is the owners should be looking at performance of their commissioner in aspects beyond just "making money". Is he growing the struggling markets? No. Has he fixed the problem in Phoenix where the NHL owners have been footing the bill? I say no until there's an announcement of new ownership. Is the TV deal they have the best for long term growth. I say without ESPN in the states I'd say no. Teams in strong markets like Long Island, and New Jersey are having issues. The number of labor disputes also leaves a dark cloud over him, even if he wins the battles, he's losing a war in getting and keeping fans.

I'd get someone who's been a player, and an executive, someone that's worked in say junior and the NHL level. Someone who understands hockey. Then hire a group of marketing executives and tv sports people. I'd give ESPN a sweetheart deal to get games back on ESPN or ESPN2 all in HD. Exposure is what the NHL needs. We have an exciting and entertaining sport and people in the US don't get decent coverage of it.

I'd say the fact the league still has Gary as it's commissioner says something about the owners more than anything.

One of the more well thought out posts.

I can agree that the NHL is threatened by a lockout. Blaming Bettman for the challenges the business faces is not the total picture. I believe Bettman has done a reasonable job for the owners. Raising revenue from $400 mil to $3.3 billion during his tenure. Many on here have taken the defacto position that the owners are making money now and simply want to make more. If that is trtheyue then thjeir approach is pretty weak. Ruining player relations is the obvious example but possiblylosing their market by turning the fans off is a bigger issue. i have to conclude that the owners are faced with a bigger issue of league wide profitability.

Another common thread is that the owners dictated a settlement in 2004 and the assumption is they got everything they wanted at that time. Why their assumptions couldn't be wrong at that time escapes me. Obviously if they had forseen revenue climbing the way it did then might have rethought their 57% player share. I do not think that the Fehr brothers are fools either. This lockout is a fight over money plain and simple.

Bettman is the standard bearer for one side of this dispute. Villifying him for carrying a message and doing a job for his employers is immature. Possibly criticize the NHL for not having a clearer business plan to stabilize the league. However by doing so you are making assumptions about facts that you are not privy to.

#25 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

When this drags into November I would love it if the crew from HBO's 24 series would come in and start filming the life of Bettman. They were supposed to be filming up to the winter classic but there is no hockey so instead we will film what Bettman and the PA are doing during this lockout and show fans how much they are really trying to get a deal done. (which they are not) This would be awesome if HBO has a contract to do this. The life of Bettman lol
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#26 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

I don't understand why people aren't more angry at the players... I mean they make a sick amount of money!

Because the owners make more.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#27 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Compared to Goddell who made a joke of the NFL over an average cost of $100,000 per year per team, or Stein who is an absolute fool or Selig, how do you rate Bettman? The reality is the NHL has by far the best commissionner of all major pro sports, so is he going to get fired soon: absolutely not a chance. He has a job for life with the NHL and he writes his own cheque (which is $8 mil per right now). It is a total misunderstanding of the situation to think that with a different commissionner there would be hockey now. The big picture is overall the game is more exciting than ever and, overal, more popular than ever. Hmmm, terrible job Bettman!

#28 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,376 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Because the owners make more.

some do, some don't it all depends on the franchise. The reality is the owners are also taking all the risk. Players get paid regardless of how well the franchise is doing but the owners profit rolls with the ecomony, success of the franchise, etc... The only risk the players have is getting hurt so badly that it will affect their next contract. The owners also have millions/billons of there own money invested whereas the players simply need to show up in shape and play a game.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#29 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Only if he fails at obtaining the goals his bosses want him to acheive. Only then he will be fired. The Owners call the shots here

BETTMAN RULES~! Go OWNERS~! Bring on the replacements~!

#30 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

if ovechkin actually doesn't come back after this hrr dispute then betteman will get the boot.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.