The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for Bettman to finally be fired?

brenbowa

After 3 lockouts and the NHL and its reputation falling faster by the second, how could anyone possibly want to keep this guy employed any longer. Some say that its not Bettman's fault that he is only doing what the owners tell him and if that is true than why do you need to spend 8 million a year on a hand puppet. I am positive that if the owners come to their senses and fire Buttman and replace him with a guy like Gretzky there would be a deal done within a week.

There seems to me a delusion that Bettman has that the NHLPA will break if he holds his breath long enough. But realistically the Union has much more solidarity than the last lockout and with the proper revenue sharing proposal that Fehr and the PA gave the NHL someone will have to decide who's to blame for all of this. Last time the players gave back everything to the owners and the system that Bettman drew up and failed yet again. The only teams that get any money from the NHL are the failed markets that idiots like Bettman put in the first place. But teams like Anahiem, StL,Isles or teams in large markets get nothing which is completely unfair.

If Bettman had any brains he would try to negotiate a one year deal to save the season and try to get some more time to fix things otherwise you are going to lose the rest of the US market and will only have Canada left and even that will be tenuous at best.

To answer your question. Bettman will be fired when the owners decide that they don't trust him anymore.

Unfortunately, no one, not even Mr.Gretzky himself would believe that Gretzky would be a good commissioner. It doesn't matter who is the in Bettman's place. Whoever it'll be, people will hate him. It's part of the job.

Why he's making 8 million dollars? Why not? Ever heard of a pyramid scheme? You wonder why you don't make more than your bosses?

Rest of your post; It's called bargaining. Why not continue the season? Why not let the problems drag on?

Calm down, the NHL hasn't cancelled any games yet. If it gets past January and there's no progress then we'll have a problem. Everything is moving at the expected pace.

Pyramid schemes are things like Amway. Where your profits are based on getting new territory and hiring lots of reps who give you a cut of their profit. Of course the goal is to get enough reps so you don't have to do any work while the suckers below dream of getting rich, you already will be. The NHL is too flat in it's structure to be that way.

What is clear is the owners should be looking at performance of their commissioner in aspects beyond just "making money". Is he growing the struggling markets? No. Has he fixed the problem in Phoenix where the NHL owners have been footing the bill? I say no until there's an announcement of new ownership. Is the TV deal they have the best for long term growth. I say without ESPN in the states I'd say no. Teams in strong markets like Long Island, and New Jersey are having issues. The number of labor disputes also leaves a dark cloud over him, even if he wins the battles, he's losing a war in getting and keeping fans.

I'd get someone who's been a player, and an executive, someone that's worked in say junior and the NHL level. Someone who understands hockey. Then hire a group of marketing executives and tv sports people. I'd give ESPN a sweetheart deal to get games back on ESPN or ESPN2 all in HD. Exposure is what the NHL needs. We have an exciting and entertaining sport and people in the US don't get decent coverage of it.

I'd say the fact the league still has Gary as it's commissioner says something about the owners more than anything.

The owners are the ones who can fire Bettman, and they are quite pleased with him after the last lockout, as this New York Times article points out. This is all about money, so, if this lockout cramps the billionaire owners' lifestyle, then you might see them get grumpy and want to get rid of Bettman. But for now, they're united behind him. Hockey fans? Not so much.

The owners are the ones who can fire Bettman, and they are quite pleased with him after the last lockout, as this New York Times article points out. This is all about money, so, if this lockout cramps the billionaire owners' lifestyle, then you might see them get grumpy and want to get rid of Bettman. But for now, they're united behind him. Hockey fans? Not so much.

Archived