The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for Bettman to finally be fired?

brenbowa

Apparently owners think that lockouts are good things because it gets them more money. So based on Bettman's track record of three lockouts, I guess you'd have to say he's doing great.

The only question is, how many times can you treat your fans like crap before they finally give up on the NHL and look elsewhere for entertainment?

As many have stated, Bettman is just an expression of the owner's sympathies. He's not a puppet per se, but he is in line with their thinking (at least a good number of them). And their thinking is that they could be making more money. Player relations, fan relations, honouring previous contracts all don't seem to matter. A lockout is the best way to make that money and the Phoenix deal may be more dependent on a new CBA than we realize.

Getting back to the OPs question though, Bettman won't be fired. He'll only be out of the job when the league splits. In the same way CART broke away from Indy racing, we'll likely see a new league form as some owners and players jump ship. Player and fan relations can only be so broken before this is inevitable. Then, when franchises are being closed down, we'll see Bettman go. It doesn't have to be this way. People want hockey but the owners are an unfortunate combination of greedy and not quite smart enough to see how, as they try to grab more of the pie, they damage their chances there will be a pie in 5 years.

Pyramid schemes are things like Amway. Where your profits are based on getting new territory and hiring lots of reps who give you a cut of their profit. Of course the goal is to get enough reps so you don't have to do any work while the suckers below dream of getting rich, you already will be. The NHL is too flat in it's structure to be that way.

What is clear is the owners should be looking at performance of their commissioner in aspects beyond just "making money". Is he growing the struggling markets? No. Has he fixed the problem in Phoenix where the NHL owners have been footing the bill? I say no until there's an announcement of new ownership. Is the TV deal they have the best for long term growth. I say without ESPN in the states I'd say no. Teams in strong markets like Long Island, and New Jersey are having issues. The number of labor disputes also leaves a dark cloud over him, even if he wins the battles, he's losing a war in getting and keeping fans.

I'd get someone who's been a player, and an executive, someone that's worked in say junior and the NHL level. Someone who understands hockey. Then hire a group of marketing executives and tv sports people. I'd give ESPN a sweetheart deal to get games back on ESPN or ESPN2 all in HD. Exposure is what the NHL needs. We have an exciting and entertaining sport and people in the US don't get decent coverage of it.

I'd say the fact the league still has Gary as it's commissioner says something about the owners more than anything.

When this drags into November I would love it if the crew from HBO's 24 series would come in and start filming the life of Bettman. They were supposed to be filming up to the winter classic but there is no hockey so instead we will film what Bettman and the PA are doing during this lockout and show fans how much they are really trying to get a deal done. (which they are not) This would be awesome if HBO has a contract to do this. The life of Bettman lol

Compared to Goddell who made a joke of the NFL over an average cost of $100,000 per year per team, or Stein who is an absolute fool or Selig, how do you rate Bettman? The reality is the NHL has by far the best commissionner of all major pro sports, so is he going to get fired soon: absolutely not a chance. He has a job for life with the NHL and he writes his own cheque (which is $8 mil per right now). It is a total misunderstanding of the situation to think that with a different commissionner there would be hockey now. The big picture is overall the game is more exciting than ever and, overal, more popular than ever. Hmmm, terrible job Bettman!

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand is that this whole issue with players salaries being too high which is nonsense. The owners claim they want more money for themselves which is fair but if that is the case then why offer these stupid contracts in the first place. I believe it is to cloud the real issue which is the bad markets the league and Gary Bettman chose to prop up are failing miserably and now the chickens are coming home to roost. These and many other bad decisions made by this idiot has created all the problems you see before you.

The system created by Bettman and the owners are to blame for the players took a pay cut and gave them a salary cap essentially everything they wanted and are still failing economically. Two thirds of the NHL teams last year lost money including some supposedly good markets and on top of that many of those teams are up for sale and nobody wants them. The players have created more revenue each year post lockout and instead of asking for more money which in the corporate world would be the norm, all they want is what is fair and reasonable.

I think the only way for Gary Bettman to be fired is do like what the Packers fans did with the replacement officials. Gather together with the season ticket holders and threaten to boycott the kickoff of the next home game until the league finally did something. I know in Vancouver most of the fans who go to games are corporate drones who would never do this. But, if the fans especially the season ticket holders would go to the owners and say get rid of the problem or else we get rid of you. I am sure the owners would put the boots to Gary Bettman after all rich people are good at finding someone else to blame.

not sure what it would take but i think the NHL is undermining the backlash/effect this may have on fans due to social media. i have been an nhl fan for years but now i couldn't care either way. when it all comes down to it, they want money, the love they claim for the sport is secondary.

Bettman will be fired when it becomes clear that he has mismanaged the situation from the owners' point of view. It seems that any number of lockouts is fine by them, as long as they get their way in the end. Either we stop watching (not very likely) or something else like the formation of a new league has to occur. If the NHL doesn't really care about delivering a product, eventually someone else will fill the vacuum. I hope it happens sooner than later. Nothing (okay, maybe a few things) would make me happier than seeing the complacent owners holding the bag for a bunch of devalued or worthless franchises.

Bettman will be fired when it becomes clear that he has mismanaged the situation from the owners' point of view. It seems that any number of lockouts is fine by them, as long as they get their way in the end. Either we stop watching (not very likely) or something else like the formation of a new league has to occur. If the NHL doesn't really care about delivering a product, eventually someone else will fill the vacuum. I hope it happens sooner than later. Nothing (okay, maybe a few things) would make me happier than seeing the complacent owners holding the bag for a bunch of devalued or worthless franchises.

The last time a group thought they could start a league and compete with the NHL they formed the World Hockey Association or WHA. It lasted 4 or 5 years. If the owners don't feel they can operate profitably then they have every right to cease operation until they think otherwise. The players have the right to play elsewhere as a result.

Bettman is running a business and the bottom line is always the measure of success or failure. Just as you criticize Bettman for the lockout spend some time and look at the NHLPA leadership. Fehr never resolved a MLB dispute without a lockout(2) or a strike(4). This is a struggle for how the revenue is shared, plan and simple. My nature is to sympathize with ownership as they are faced with many issues that fans either don't understand or don't care about.

Back to the OP's point about what it will take for Bettman to be let go. I suspect it would take a major failure of the NHL business plan. IMO that means loss of or possible loss of media revenue. Enough to cloud the individual viability of franchises.

Archived