The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for Bettman to finally be fired?

brenbowa

Bettman is the most hated man in hockey. My feeling is that he is not respected by any of the players, coaches or GM's. Obviously he doesn't need respect from these people as long as he works for the owners but if another season is lost, I'm convinced he will be canned.

This season could have gone ahead under the terms of the exisitng agreement. The owners and players would have made a crap load of money, the fans and arena workers would have been happy and a new agreement would have eventually been implemented. This would have been the logical thing to do. But it was Bettman who insisted that without an agreement there would be no season.

My feeling is that this heavy handed approach is going to cost him his job. I think he has under estimated the strength of the NHLPA and instead of working with the union he is trying to force it down their throats and it's not going to work this time.

If the entire season is cancelled, Bettman will be fired. And good riddance.

Bettman spent years in the 90s and early 2000s vetting owners that would be loyal to the business model he was setting out to create. They won't fire Bettman because they didn't just invest in their teams, they invested in Bettman's plan for the NHL.

Seriously, would you sign onto an arrangement like that if you were an owner? You would turn your $200 to $300 million investment over to a group of eight other owners? They might have ceded some negociating authority over to a committee of owners with I am sure pretty tight criteria but that would be it IMO.

If you focus on Bettman as the main obstacle to an agreement I think you are wrong. This is a fight over money plain and simple. The NHLPA might have an argument about whether all HRR is being captured or not. The NHL has to get it right this time or threatened their long term appeal to major media outlets in the USA who were thinking of picking up the NHL option. The success of the NFL, MLB, and the NBA in negociating very lucrative TV contracts is in itself a positive for the NHL. Quite frankly media buyers might take a shot at the NHL simply because they are a cheaper option.

I suspect that if the NHL does not continue to gain media sales then they run the risk of losing or transferring some franchises. Bettman has been reluctant to move teams because it runs down the appeal to national USA media buyers. If TV revenue in the USA continues to grow then the NHL can take a longer view towards growing unprofitable franchises. In the interim either the 4 or 5 very profitable teams have to increase their subsidies to unprofitable teams or the players have to take a cut down from the 57% to roughly 50%. I suspect a mix of the two but the players will take a significant hit.

Doesn't matter if I would, the BoG DID. This isn't speculation, it is FACT, he can veto virtually any BoG descision with the backing of just 8 owners.

Apologists for Bettman will tell you that the lockout isn't personal, that the commissioner is merely an employee doing the bidding of the 30 owners. It's true that the NHL reached out to Bettman because it was envious of the rival NBA with its salary cap and a lucrative national TV deal in the U.S. But Gatehouse, who once scribbled for The Gazette, points out that Bettman has consolidated his power to the point where he has virtual veto power over any deal as long as he maintains the support of eight owners. It's inconceivable that every owner is 100 per cent behind the current lockout, but we'll never know because the NHL has suppressed the sacred right of free speech by imposing fines of up to $1 million for anyone who deviates from the party line.

As much as the league’s ownership suites are populated by the ranks of billionaires and billion-dollar corporations, there are actually only a select few power brokers who enjoy a say in the matters that matter. Boston’s Jeremy Jacobs, Detroit’s Mike Ilitch, Chicago’s Rocky Wirtz, Philadelphia’s Ed Snider — they’re pre-Bettman lifers who’ve carved out influence and power in hockey’s cigar-chomping old-boys’ club. As for the men who run MLSE — they’re most certainly not among the core group.

It comes down to simple math. In most scenarios Bettman only needs the consent of eight owners to veto any agreement. It’s no wonder, then, that Bettman’s hawkish anti-union base often gets its way while the let’s-just-play moderates in Toronto and New York and Montreal get ignored.

http://www.thestar.c...er-play-feschuk

Well, to answer the question at hand, Bettman can get fired if seven owners in particular force the others' hands... by threatening to withdraw from the NHL. They can afford to do so, because their teams rake in a combined majority of the league's profits - without their teams, the NHL can go bankrupt in a matter of years (if even that). These guys, meanwhile, can afford to follow through with their threat, because they hold the lion's share of the NHL market and their neighbouring cities would jump at fielding major-league teams of their own.

The other 23 owners all know this, and even Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider can't beat this rap. They will have no option but to fire Bettman. Only thing is, this group of owners aren't doing a thing with the power they hold.

Guess who the seven are. (Hint: Fransesco Acquilini is one of them).

Gary Bettman still doesn't get it. He truly believes if he holds his breath long enough the players will fold like last time. The only reason it worked last time was that with the NHL's offer it would give a raise for the ham an egger NHLers like Mike Commodore from 100,000 to 500,000 a year. It pinned the stars and superstars of the NHL against the scrubs like the 3rd and 4th liners which make up the majority. This time Donald Fehr has the NHLPA galvanized, organized and fully informed of the issues going on so the players will have less a reason to distrust their union.

On top of that he has included in his proposals to give revenue sharing to all the teams no just the ones Bettman has chosen for to help. This will start if it hasn't already dissension among the owners to get a fair deal when it comes to spreading the wealth. Not just keep supporting money pits like Phoenix which will never work. The players also have leverage for they can go to europe and still make lots of money and not deal with owners who have no intention of honoring contracts they signed in good faith only a few months ago.

The longer this goes the more the value of each NHL franchise will diminish and if this does last the entire year the owners will have to blink first this time. Gary Bettman is willing to play poker with house money in that the fans will return no matter what and while some will return he'd be wrong to assume that the NHL will return as strong as it was before. I for one will not pay for anything NHL related including going to any games until Gary Bettman is canned and I hope many others will do the same and maybe the owners will finally get the message loud and clear and get this done.

I think you need to watch the recent video.

At first I sided with the owners.

Not I understand the players.

Bettman has claimed the NHL in the past 2 years have scored record high revenues.

With all these revenues, it shoudln't be a problem paying your players right??

no......

Owners want to pay players even less. WTH. It would have been a diffrent story if the NHL was actually struggling. But's it not, as stated by Bettman. So why are you low balling the players?????

Ownership fail. Bettman failed. During the 05 lock out I sided with the owners, now I am with the players. Players aren't even asking for much too, they were even ok with the current cba.

After 3 lockouts and the NHL and its reputation falling faster by the second, how could anyone possibly want to keep this guy employed any longer. Some say that its not Bettman's fault that he is only doing what the owners tell him and if that is true than why do you need to spend 8 million a year on a hand puppet. I am positive that if the owners come to their senses and fire Buttman and replace him with a guy like Gretzky there would be a deal done within a week.

There seems to me a delusion that Bettman has that the NHLPA will break if he holds his breath long enough. But realistically the Union has much more solidarity than the last lockout and with the proper revenue sharing proposal that Fehr and the PA gave the NHL someone will have to decide who's to blame for all of this. Last time the players gave back everything to the owners and the system that Bettman drew up and failed yet again. The only teams that get any money from the NHL are the failed markets that idiots like Bettman put in the first place. But teams like Anahiem, StL,Isles or teams in large markets get nothing which is completely unfair.

If Bettman had any brains he would try to negotiate a one year deal to save the season and try to get some more time to fix things otherwise you are going to lose the rest of the US market and will only have Canada left and even that will be tenuous at best.

Like Bettman, Gretzky would be fired if he DIDN"T do what the owners wanted. The reason they have a "hand puppet" is so they don't have to get together and run the league on a daily basis. They hire a "hand puppet" to do that for them.

The reason the last deal has failed is the "have owners" looking for ways around the deal to screw the "have not teams". The real problem is not Bettman, it's those top 6 money making owners and their circumvention contracts.

The bottom line is this: Everything Bettman has done, including expanding into non-hockey markets, has been at the owners bidding. It's exactly why he's held his job so long.

Those top 6 owners you are talking about are Bettman's biggest supporters, why would he punish them. Jeremy Jacobs got a Stanley Cup, Rocky Wirtz also got a Cup and Ed Snider almost got one. All these owners have handed out crazy contracts and have put players in the minors to circumvent the cap and are contenders because of this. They have cheated the system that they and Bettman have put in place for they're own personal gain.

The owners wanted expansion but to markets that can actually make money not give them corporate welfare every year. Bettman went to the owners and sold them the BS that these Southern markets can work so take the ridiculous expansion fees and pocket them and we will worry about the repercussions later. Bettman and the owners did not do their due diligence to see the long term effects on over expanding too quickly and watering down the league.

The reason Bettman has held his job so long is that the owners who have put him in power in the first place are greedy shortsighted idiots who looked for the easiest buck with the least amount of effort. While the league did grow in spite of itself and all its mistakes, can you imagine how much the game would have grown with good leadership and vision. The potential could be off the charts instead of being a 3 billion industry it could be double that and more but instead with all these lockouts and incompetence the game has fallen off the charts. In the last lockout monster trucks and poker passed hockey in the US, what is next spelling bees and chess? I think the players should sign the owners 50-50 deal for one year on one condition, Bettman walks away from the NHL for good never to be seen again and you watch how much better things will get.

Archived