The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Royals Thread

Rate this topic

Now we play Kelowna

VICTORIA 5

PRINCE GEORGE 4

Hockeyville, indeed.

The last six minutes of regulation time Saturday were a whirlwind, which left the 5,839 fans in the Memorial Centre nearly hoarse.- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/victoria-royals-win-playoff-series-over-prince-george-in-ot-thriller-1.1814429#sthash.xsVMFMHb.dpuf

Couldn't even sell out the arena and try to call yourselves "Hockeyville"??? Hmmmm

I think you're the one with no clue about hockey. The booing was because he should have been given a penalty shot, not a 2 minute powerplay.

And they had a point too in the regular season that likely would have been a penalty shot but not in an elimination game.

This will be a tough matchup, but we have a chance for an upset

Season Series: Kelowna won 5-2-1-0
This is another captivating series and won’t be a walk in the park for Kelowna, which battled Brandon for first-place overall throughout the regular season. It will be more like a walk in New York City’s Central Park late at night. Scary, to say the least.
Stylistically, Victoria could be a “bad” matchup for the Rockets. The Royals like it rough-and-tumble and are built for playoff-type wars. Their coach, grizzled former NHL grinder Dave Lowry, would welcome some old-time hockey as it would favour his current club. Kelowna could also be without its two biggest physical presences for the series opener, with Chance Braid serving a one-game suspension and Tyrell Goulbourne having been injured in Game 2 against Tri-City. The latter’s status is unknown, but both would be sorely missed when the Royals try to impose their will by pushing around the Rockets.
Kelowna needs its league-best power play to act as a deterrent to Victoria’s feistiness. The Rockets were only 3-for-17 (17.6 per cent) with the man advantage against Tri-City, down from 26.2 per cent (90-344) during the regular season. If Kelowna can capitalize on power plays early in the series and force Victoria to play a skill game, that should be beneficial to the Rockets.
In saying that, the Royals acquired forwards Greg Chase and Alex Forsberg this season to add skill up front and they delivered in the first-round win over Prince George. If those two could somehow outscore or at least offset Kelowna’s dynamic duo of Rourke Chartier and Nick Merkley, then Victoria would have a fighting chance. Both teams get plenty of offence from their back end, and Kelowna would get a big boost if Josh Morrissey was able to return from a leg injury.
Goaltending will be a big factor here too. Kelowna will likely go back to Jackson Whistle, who was pulled in the clincher against Tri-City but previously had two shutouts and came a minute shy of breaking Kelly Guard’s franchise record of 155 minutes 8 seconds without a goal against in the playoffs. Victoria is riding Coleman Vollrath, who helped the Royals get past the Cougars despite getting outshot in four of the five contests. He posted a 24-save shutout in the other and will enter this series as the more confident of the two masked men, but that can certainly change in a period or two. Vollrath turned 20 in January and Whistle will celebrate the same birthday in June, with both having made 114 career regular-season appearances with similar statistics. Whistle has played behind the better team and boasts a .910 save percentage with a 2.61 goals-against average to Vollrath’s .909 and 2.88. But this series, be it four games or seven, will largely define their WHL tenure as a whole.

http://thehockeywriters.com/whl-playoff-predictions-round-2/

First 2 games are in Kelowna on Fri. and Sat. night

Edited by Mackcanuck

:bigblush::bigblush::bigblush:

ROYALS AND ROCKETS SERIES TO BE BROADCAST ON SHAW

For Immediate Release

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Victoria, BC- The Western Hockey League (WHL) and Shaw Communications Inc. announced today that the entire second round

series of the 2015 WHL Playoffs between the Victoria Royals and Kelowna Rockets will be televised live on Shaw TV and Shaw HD channel 304 throughout Western Canada.

During the second round series the WHL on SHAW will feature the play-by-play of Dan Russell with analysis from Bill Wilms and rink side host Stu Walters. Shaw’s WHL Central will continue to provide highlights, exclusive features and news from across the WHL during the broadcasts hosted by Andy Neal on location.

The first game of the Victoria Royals – Kelowna Rockets series can be seen live on Shaw TV from Prospera Place in Kelowna starting at 7:05 PDT on Friday, April 10th

http://www.victoriaroyals.com/article/royals-and-rockets-series-to-be-broadcast-on-shaw

Edited by Mackcanuck

Refs looked like they were auditioning for Devorski's job. Unacceptable officiating and it cost us the game.

Possibly the worst reffed game I've seen in my life (Auger incident excluded). So bad ...

I have no delusions that the Royals were going to win this series, but the refs shouldn't be making this into a possible sweep.

Edited by n00bxQb

Possibly the worst reffed game I've seen in my life (Auger incident excluded). So bad ...

I have no delusions that the Royals were going to win this series, but the refs shouldn't be making this into a possible sweep.

I'll be at all our home games. If the refs attempt that kind of garbage again, rest assured they'll be getting an earful.

Stoked. Will be at the game tonight. Love the Royals of course, but who wouldn't also love the opportunity to see Morrissey, Bowey, Draisaitl, Merkley, Chartier...

I think the Royals take tonight's game and get back into the series. Should be a good tilt.