The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Royals Thread

Rate this topic

We can dust off this thread, Hopefully going on a long run!

Got tickets to the Royals playoff game against Spokane Fri. with my 2 sons

Got the Mafia seats right on the glass behind the opposing teams bench!

Can't wait, I'm watching playoff hockey, hopefully lots of it! ::D

1 hour ago, Gstank29 said:

How has Matthew Phillips been this year. Is he still shifty and elusive?

Very good, He just won the Western Conf rookie of the year award

Phillips finished the 2015-16 regular season first in points (76) and goals (37) among all WHL rookies. Phillips also finished tied for first in the league in game winning goals (10), and tied for second in powerplay markers (16).

• 2 weeks later...

Royals win Round 1 series 4 games to 2 against Spokane

Hicketts still not in the lineup which is concerning.

KAM plays in KEL in game 7 of their series tonight,hoping it goes 5 OTperiods

Winner plays in VIC on Thurs.

Edited by Mackcanuck

Just now, MikeyBoy44 said:

Rip home team pride.

I'm cheering for them up until they face the Rebels. ;)

Got an uncle that's been a Blazer season ticket holder for years and years, so I've been to a couple games there. =D

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Royals win Round 1 series 4 games to 2 against Spokane

Hicketts still not in the lineup which is concerning.

KAM plays in KEL in game 7 of their series tonight,hoping it goes 5 OTperiods

Winner plays in VIC on Thurs.

Should be a great series! Wish we had Whistle and Merkley but we'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough break tonight. Kelowna got the luckiest of goals to get on the board and give them some life early in the 3rd. Off a stick off a dman off the post, and as the dman goes to clear the puck it skips and he knocks it in. Then the Royals ice it with 30 secs left, 3 steps from the red line. Try to eat the clock along the boards, epic battles, crowd counting down the seconds. With a second left the puck is jarred loose and thrown to Kirkland on the far point who has ice in his veins and the biggest stones ever as he decides to step around the shot blocker rather than one timing it. As the crowd yells zero Kirkland picks top corner with 0.2 seconds left. Both teams come out charged in overtime, Kelowna is throwing every puck on net while the Royals are putting nice plays together but can't hit the net. Eventually Kelowna squeaks a greasey one five hole on a confusing flurry following a defensive zone turnover. Tough luck, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Props to Kirkland for carrying his team in this series. Tyson Baillie is a punk though.

My take on that game was the Royals played about as good a game as they could have, with the exception of missing the net on a fair amount of premier opportunities.

They lead in shots 20-6 half way through the 2nd period.   Owned the first as well.  Gave up little going into the third despite being shorthanded 4 times.

As goalie 13 points out, it could have easily been 4-0 at that point.  Herringer may deserve some credit for missing the net on some of those opportunities - he was big and stayed in position for the most part- after the 2-0 deficit, was lights out.  One of the things that make goalie taunts one of my least favorite home crowd things (although it does make me laugh) - it rarely imo actually gets in a goaltender's head - usually seems to backfire.

Anyhow, that first Kelowna goal was ugly and had a certain fatefulness about it - a goal like that turning a game that the Royals thoroughly dominated. Kelowna had some zone time, but it was very perimeter - they had at best a handful of good scoring chances.

I wouldn't blame the officials for this one, although it was inconsistent in the sense there was the usual playoff tendency to throw away the whistles after the second period (8 pp between then through 40, and then only a d.o.g. in the final 5) - and Kelowna imo got the greater advantage as a result, getting away with a charge and a trip (on Hannoun) that prevented a clearcut chance for a gwg.

Just couldn't bury that 3rd one though.

Still, a very good season - overachieved really.  Could have used Bobylev's size in this series.

Not much you can do about a loss like that - they seemed to have thrown their best on the ice.  

Really liked the performances of Walker and Hannoun.

Edited by oldnews

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a new season.  What a great start!  Back to back, dominant wins over the Giants.

I was at the home opener.  What a fun game!  Hat-trick for Phillips.  He scored 1PP, 1SH and 1 even strength goal, and added an assist.  Outhouse was outstanding, Legien played great, all in all, it was a great game.

It's a long season so I know I shouldn't get too excited, but I can't wait for this weekend against the Blazers.