The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Royals Thread

Rate this topic

Just now, Roberts said:

I know they are starting a rebuild and may not be very good but 0 home games? :huh:

It's weird.  And there's nothing in the news release about it.  Kelowna, Kamloops, then three games in Langley.

The regular season will be shorter starting this year too.  Still, I'm already eager for next year.  I guess I will have to get my sports fix at Shamrocks games for the summer.

25 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It's weird.  And there's nothing in the news release about it.  Kelowna, Kamloops, then three games in Langley.

The regular season will be shorter starting this year too.  Still, I'm already eager for next year.  I guess I will have to get my sports fix at Shamrocks games for the summer.

last time everyone thought they would be starting a rebuild they finished #1 overall in the WHL I'm pretty sure, hopefully they can surprise everyone again this year. Those two 1st round picks they had would have been nice, but they used them to trade for Kaspick and then he ends up getting a season ending injury. It was unlucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From the TC:  https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/victoria-royals-abandon-bid-for-2020-memorial-cup-1.23414627

The Victoria Royals have abandoned their bid to host the 2020 Memorial Cup.  The bid committee said it was too big an ask of the Vancouver Island market after hosting the 2019 IIHF world junior championship this winter.

“It’s asking people to pay out for another big junior hockey event one year after already paying out for a big junior hockey event … adding on to the fact that our Royals season-ticket holders [are also paying for WHL games],” said Cameron Hope, general manager of the Western Hockey Leauge club.

“The Memorial Cup is once in a hockey generation in any community. You want to be the very best you can be when you host it. We felt we would be at our best in 2023 [the WHL’s next scheduled hosting rotation], not 2020.”

Another consideration is that the Canadian Hockey League takes into account a host city with a strong club. The Royals are entering a rebuilding phase over the next couple of seasons.

Teams hosting a Memorial Cup tend to trade their top future prospects to load up on older players for the run at a Canadian junior hockey title.

“Saskatoon has not been back to the playoffs since hosting the Memorial Cup in 2013,” said Hope.

“It’s not just us factoring this in. The league is worried about that happening to teams, as well.”

There is also the stipulation that Memorial Cup venues must replace existing boards, glass and lighting with amenities that are NHL standard. Hope said plans are to have that done at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre by 2023, but that it seemed too rushed for 2020.

Hope said the Victoria bid could have coped with all three issues — the big-event saturation, venue upgrade and trading away longer-term prospects for an immediate team upgrade for 2019-20. But why rush it, he said, when the organization would be in far better position on all three fronts for 2023.

The Victoria decision leaves Kelowna, Kamloops and Lethbridge in the race to host the 2020 Memorial Cup. The WHL board of governors will vote for the host city on Oct. 3.  The Victoria Memorial Cup bid committee will remain operational in an attempt to gain the 2023 event. That decision will be made in 2021.

“We came to the conclusion 2023 would be a far better option for us. By 2021, our bid will be a well-oiled machine,” said committee chairman John Wilson.

• 1 month later...

great 5-0-0-0 start to the season!

Last season Victoria beat Kelowna to get a 5-0-0-0 start to the season, just like they did today, they then played Kamloops the next day and won to get a 6-0-0-0 start to the season, and now they play Kamloops tomorrow :ph34r:

Also make sure to join the fan club if you haven't already.

Edited by Roberts

On 8/28/2018 at 6:40 PM, Rush17 said:

You can drive an extra 20-30 minutes and catch Alex Newhook in Colwood at the Q Centre behind juan da fuca rec.

Newhook = Top prospect in the 2019 draft. *Which happens to be in Vancouver" :D

It's not even an extra drive.  I basically live half way between the two rinks and went to both teams' home openers.

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I can't believe they traded Hannoun.

it is a pretty surprising trade, I think Kody McDonald will be a good edition to the team.. he better be because they just traded probably their best player away to the best team.

9 hours ago, Roberts said:

it is a pretty surprising trade, I think Kody McDonald will be a good edition to the team.. he better be because they just traded probably their best player away to the best team.

I was thinking maybe it was more about Miller for the Royals.  Both Hannoun and McDonald are over-agers so they will be gone after this year.  PA is loading up for a playoff run this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

So happy to see Outhouse didn't get traded at the deadline.  It will be great to see him finish his WHL career here.

On a related note, I also enjoyed seeing him take that roughing penalty against the Blazers Friday night.  Sometimes a goalie needs to stand up for themselves like that.

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, lmm said:

its Jett Woo day today, sorrily I will be dancing instead.

Not sorry I'm dancing, just sorry I'm missing the game.

Hoping for highlites

Was planning on going to this game but I got tickets to see Buffalo and saw that Woo was on the island at the same time <_< what are the odds?