Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

key2thecup

Christy Clark announces plans to replace George Massey Tunnel

208 posts in this topic

So basically the transit system is fracked because, (as Ron has pointed out many times) transit needs do not fit in with the political reality of the people who control the planning/money of/for transit.

So how do we get those two things to jive?

Like I've said, a change at the provincial level. This group are bent on suburban sprawl. It's all hand waving until they are gone.

Do you honestly believe the NDP are going to do anything drastically different? The problem isn't the people in power, it's that there's little to no political gain to changing the status quo.

You could elect an NDP government, put the mayors back in charge and give them all the power in the world to say put in a vehicle levy.

But even then you still wouldn't get a vehicle levy. Local mayors know what happened to the last mayors that championed that idea. They were quickly turfed next municipal election. And if that threat didn't work you can bet a torch and pitchfork committee will be paying a visit to the local MLA office to eliminate that tax in short order.

The population wants for other people to pay for things that benefit themselves. Even getting them to pay for things that benefit themselves directly is a stretch - many will say they already pay for it many times over.

Watch how big the Qs for the Massey and Alex Fraser get once there's tolls on Port Mann and Putello. Only then will there be a hope of floating the even my ideas.

You would have better luck getting elected on a promise to put in the HST than you would on increasing property taxes or vehicle levies of anything else you can dream of.

Exactly.

So again, how do we get those disconnects to jive...?

I have a feeling you have more free time than I do to run for political office ;)

Do you honestly believe the NDP are going to do anything drastically different? The problem isn't the people in power, it's that there's little to no political gain to changing the status quo.

Ron, you don't need to tell me politicians are short sighted. The it's plain as day what the Liberals support. Massive, unrestrained highway expansion contrary to all the best practices. I suppose I'm an eternal optimistic and someone will have the balls to think beyond their own nose. It isn't radical or crazy, plenty of other places are doing it.

Ron, you don't need to tell me politicians are short sighted. The it's plain as day what the Liberals support. Massive, unrestrained highway expansion contrary to all the best practices. I suppose I'm an eternal optimistic and someone will have the balls to think beyond their own nose. It isn't radical or crazy, plenty of other places are doing it.

The Liberals support getting elected/votes and scratching the backs of their supporters, just the same as the NDP. That you think there's any real difference between the two apart from being the "two sides of the same coin" is kind of sad. The sooner you realize the system is the problem and start figuring out how to get what you want given that system, the better off you'll be.

:lol:

In fairness those people who say one thing and do another...are part of that same "system" I referred to ;)

Nobody wants what Inane wants though, so it wouldn't matter what system you used. Even a dictatorship would think twice about forcing everyone into apartments and taking away their cars.

Some people might want dense cities and less car travel but they tend to want it for other people, not themselves. Heck, I hear a certain highway hater here has a single family home and a car himself!

We really do need some name for this creative mindset. You know, as much as the people in the city are NIMBYs for not wanting a new condo tower bringing more traffic in we do have a bunch of suburbanites that want everyone else to take the bus. Perhaps a "get of my road take the bus" or GOMER TTBs or something?

I don't know.

If you actually, honestly think that's what I want, this discussion is pointless.

I'm not claiming traffic volumes, I'm showing you data. If you don't believe it, so be it.

They are not blogs against highway expansion, they are blogs, with supportive information for a multi-modal transportation network. You are the one saying if you're not for highway expansion you're against it. That's not what I'm saying.

I've never 'opposed any sort of improvement, toll or not. You're making that up.

The problem is your admitted hyperbole. You're unwilling to think about the consequences of your thoughts and then claim I'm opposed to everything under the sun because it's convinient to fit me into a little box that fits your position.

You're right, I drive and have a single family home. I'm advocating for the very thing that would, in the short term, negatively impact me. So to claim I'm some idealistic boogeyman is pretty rich.

I'm not claiming traffic volumes, I'm showing you data. If you don't believe it, so be it.

I believe both Ron and I showed you that you were interpreting that data incorrectly.

Do you need further evidence than congestion EVERY rush hour at both the Highway 17 and Steveston exits to show you that those choke points cause lineups which congest the tunnel/highway and reduce traffic volume able to get through?

This is not my field of work at all. You show me the website or organization I'd get that data from (if anyone's taking it) and I'm quite sure it will show that those areas are congested and that those lineups and congestion limit volume. It's not rocket science. And if there isn't someone measuring it, there should be.

The only other thing that would also improve the situation would be the added suggestion of limiting commercial truck traffic during peak hours. As they also contribute to the congestion.

Otherwise you need to get better ways of having people get in and out of those two main junctions and deal with the issue of having a major arterial route reduced to 1 lane twice daily.