The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark announces plans to replace George Massey Tunnel

key2thecup

They also go to Kamloops too (on the way to Banff / Calgary / Jasper) or a stop in Quesnel if you wanna go round that way to Jasper ... expensive though.

VIA rail also goes through the Rockies in that direction but they go at night. Rocky Mountaineer has the monopoly on the sight seeing rail from what I know. They share the route with freight.

From my experience with Government projects the result will be: A very nice awesome looking bridge that wins all kinds of awards and costs an arm and a leg instead of a cheap normal bridge that moves the same amount of traffic and costs less than half as much.

The rail lines there, but the price isn't. Its not cheap or practical compared to other countries.

From my experience with Government projects the result will be: A very nice awesome looking bridge that wins all kinds of awards and costs an arm and a leg instead of a cheap normal bridge that moves the same amount of traffic and costs less than half as much.

comparing rail lines in Europe to Canada is pointless. Especially from a practicality standpoint. Building and maintaining rail lines for mass passenger travel in Canada, especially central and Western Canada, would be a giant money pit.

Canada: less than 4 people per sq Kilometer.

European union: More than 100 people per sq Kilometer.

Buying more buses isn't the answer as people, especially mayors seem to think and wants to charge people with travelling fees. What it everybody uses transit, there will full bus and people will be forced to wait for next bus. Buses is not for everyone. Build more bridges and expand lanes will help allivate neckbottled traffic. Wise planning will go a long way and it seems to me that transit isn't working. It is a waste of money when they have opportunity to build some new lanes or tunnel with more than 8 to 10 lanes is the way to go. Oh, no tolls please. We pay high taxes already.

" From the 2008 Regional Screenline Survey (measuring traffic volumes in the Lower Mainland): . The total number of vehicles per day in 2008 was 390,972, which reflects a minor decrease of 2.6% from 401,227 vehicles in 2004; the greatest decreases were at the Deas Tunnel (-7.5%) and the Pattullo Bridge (-5.8%) …"

Just sayin.

As long as it's not tolled...

While there at it highway 91 needs to become at least 3, at best 4 lanes..... its a joke that it is 2 lanes going onto/off the Alex Fraser bridge.. f is it ever annoying in the morning.

That's not the problem, and expanding the highway would make it worse. The problem exists because you have 2 lanes of highway traffic, combining with all the inflow/merging traffic from 72nd and nordel (so another 4 lanes for 6 total) into 3 bridge lanes. Same on the other side. You have 2 lanes of highway traffic that merge with one, then another, then two more, then another, and all have to fit onto 3 lanes on the bridge.

Trucking is much faster. Rail is good for moving large amounts, but it takes a really long time. And I don't mean transportation time, I mean there has to be a huge amount of cargo loaded up on the dock that is all going to the same place (usually Chicago), which will justify sending a train from Vancouver to Chicago fully loaded. As a result, a lot of the containers just sit at the port waiting for enough stuff to build up that is going to the same destination.

You want to move 2 containers from the port to Calgary ASAP? You load it on a truck.

" From the 2008 Regional Screenline Survey (measuring traffic volumes in the Lower Mainland): . The total number of vehicles per day in 2008 was 390,972, which reflects a minor decrease of 2.6% from 401,227 vehicles in 2004; the greatest decreases were at the Deas Tunnel (-7.5%) and the Pattullo Bridge (-5.8%) …"

Just sayin.

I've been commuting through the tunnels for 14+ years. There's is definitely more, not less traffic or at the very least, congestion (which is what really matters). If there's less traffic, why is there added congestion? The tolling of the Port Mann is not going to help those numbers either.

Well you tell me why it takes longer to get through the tunnel then? There IS added congestion even if their isn't actually any additional volume. So what does your "factual data" tell you about why that's happening?

And do you really think it's just my "anecdotes" that think the tunnel traffic is about to get even worse when the Port Mann tolls kick in?

Also I notice you completely skipped over the my other post on what you'd suggest for transit alternatives for that corridor. Not enough density for rapid transit or much bus service over what's currently available yet the available transit already takes 3X the time compared to driving. How do you suggest we fix that discrepancy?

I have no idea why it takes you longer. Worse drivers? More people at peak times? I have no idea. I also have no idea what traffic will or will not do, I'm not a mind reader. Although I can't image too many people going so far out of their way to avoid the toll. The tunnel and Port Mann are nowhere near each other...

Skipped over? I didn't see it. Sorry for not trolling these boards hard enough for you.

How do you suggest we correct those issues? Do you have any feasible transit alternatives for the 99 corridor?

All the people in Cloverdale/South Langley say hi. It's fairly equidistant from those areas to the bridge/tunnel. I wonder which route they'll take (never mind the people just outside those areas)? Hmm the free one or the tolled one....? :rolleyes:

If they create more lanes for the traffic doesn't this usually lead to more traffic?

IIRC there are/is a group espousing level rail connections.

And to whoever talked about a bridge to the island, if you live to 150 yrs old you might see it.

It is still a huge expensive proposition, think in terms of $50 billion plus.

Archived