The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happened to Keith Ballard ?

AriGold

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Top defencemen playing behind the top offensive line are less likely to get burned as the offense has the puck more and it's usually the checking line that they play against. That, combined with injury, the wrong side of the ice, playing half a season and his inability to speak French pretty much sum up what's "wrong" with Ballard.

He has the best hip check in the league, is good at setting up the offence and does a pretty good job on the boards. Yeah, he's a bit small in front of the net. Basically, paired up with a bigger, left shooting partner and playing top 4 minutes will bring the Ballard the club is paying for. If only AV would make that decision.

Top defencemen playing behind the top offensive line are less likely to get burned as the offense has the puck more and it's usually the checking line that they play against. That, combined with injury, the wrong side of the ice, playing half a season and his inability to speak French pretty much sum up what's "wrong" with Ballard.

He has the best hip check in the league, is good at setting up the offence and does a pretty good job on the boards. Yeah, he's a bit small in front of the net. Basically, paired up with a bigger, left shooting partner and playing top 4 minutes will bring the Ballard the club is paying for. If only AV would make that decision.

I don't understand...I thought Ballard played really well in the second half of the season, and was ARGUABLY our best defenseman in the playoffs...All of this Ballard hate seems unwarranted. Just like the Raymond hate, the Luongo hate, the Bieksa hate (or is that just nucknit?)

I don't understand...I thought Ballard played really well in the second half of the season, and was ARGUABLY our best defenseman in the playoffs...All of this Ballard hate seems unwarranted. Just like the Raymond hate, the Luongo hate, the Bieksa hate (or is that just nucknit?)

As the poll results indicate, he hasn't gotten enough ice time to show everything he's got.

I think he still is a top 4 defencemen (2nd pairing). His skating is strong. He needs to roam to be effective.

He'll never be effective playing bottom pairing minutes. He'll never be worth his cap hit playing bottom minutes.

Its a shame. We have three top 4 dmen that cannot switch to the right side.

In no way has Ballard been bad enough that it warrants another post more than 5 months since he played his last game. And he hasn't been that bad, you just expect a 3rd line D man who is being paid that much money to put up 40 pts and be phenomenal. That just isn't going to happen. This team is too deep on the back end, however it is wonderful that Rome is gone now.

Like many have posted prior, he may have seen more success in a higher pairing with better partners or behind better forwards.

However, from everything I have seen or heard from Ballard, he is perfectly satisfied if he has to play 3rd pairing minutes and situations because he believes the Canucks have a chance to win it and that's what is important to him. He seems like a hell of a character guy. Players earn their money in more ways than points on the board, minutes played, +/- etc.

Not saying his contributions necessarily warrant the 4.2, but he hasn't been atrocious, some people are just blinded by the hate goggles and only focus on the negatives... this may be you OP.

A few factors, IMO. First, we traded for Ballard before signing Hamhuis, and they're both left-shooting d-men on a team that already had Edler and Ehrhoff. That's a lot of quality guys, and Ballard has never earned his spot in the Top 4. Why not?

Well, I think concussions and confidence have a lot to do with it. Remember he's had two concussions since being here. One early on in his first season, and then he missed a long stretch of time last year due to concussion-like symptoms. And some guys just aren't quite right once they start feeling the effects of concussions. At the bottom of this article on his last concussion, it says he was sleeping as many as 18 hours a day after the concussion suffered in a game against Colorado. 18 hours of sleep a day!

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/29/canucks-keith-ballard-finally-symptom-free-after-concussion/

A lot of it has to do with AV scratching him for the likes of Rome and Alberts, hence him losing his confidence and not performing at a top 4 D man level. Although I feel Ballard's performance in the playoffs is a sign of good things to come.

But the second as yet un said reason is the partners Ballard has had. On the 3rd pair, he simply has not had guys like Bowmeister (as he had in Florida) to partner with. He's not had that big stud who could anchor the defense, so Ballard could use his speed to roam. Maybe Garrison can be that guy???

regardless in my mind were going have to trade him. with the new CBA i see the cap space going down. ballard is still a top 4 D once again our team is too deep. we are going need to remove space and he seem the best fit with luongo going as well that 10 mill right their and it dose not hurt our team in much of a way chris tanve and kevin connauton is maybe could play a top 6.

Archived