The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happened to Keith Ballard ?

AriGold

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whos fault is this mess of a player we have in front of us ?

Die hard canucks fan here but this is like a story of a kid who had everything going for him, then turned to drugs and lost everything..

Maybe that was a terrible analogy but you get the picture.

He has been on a terrible downswing since joining the organization and I can't seem to figure out why, so thought I would ask the lovely people of CDC..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=61770

So, What happened ?

A lot of it has to do with AV scratching him for the likes of Rome and Alberts, hence him losing his confidence and not performing at a top 4 D man level. Although I feel Ballard's performance in the playoffs is a sign of good things to come.

Ballard can't play the right side worth a damn, but AV keeps sticking him over there in hopes that he's going to miraculously be able to excel there. Should give him the old Cody treatment and shelter him for half a year (we're going to make the playoffs anyways) so he can actually look half decent and ship him off before the playoffs. That option wasn't in the poll though.

Carrotshirt already said the key point; Ballard is not comfortable on the right side. When we acquired him, we expected him to be a top 4 left side guy who could rush the puck and contribute to our offense. But then a couple of days later we scored a bigger left side fish in Dan Hamhuis. No problem; play on the right side sir Kieth?

Even when we got Ballard, we had Erhoff and Bieksa on the right side. But both were pending FA's the next year, so Kieth could be depth? Once Erhoff left, he's had that chance and not been able to fill it. Maybe now he's still depth in case (hope not) Edler leaves next year as one of our top left side guys?

But the second as yet un said reason is the partners Ballard has had. On the 3rd pair, he simply has not had guys like Bowmeister (as he had in Florida) to partner with. He's not had that big stud who could anchor the defense, so Ballard could use his speed to roam. Maybe Garrison can be that guy???

Look, I fully expect Garrison's booming shot to play with Edler anchoring the top PP. But I believe the popular approach, pairing him with Edler full time, would be a mistake. Tanev proved that he is a great passer and plays positionally very well, but was not big enough to suitably pair with Hamhuis as a top shut down line. We tried that last year so we could try Bieksa (who has decent offensive skills) with Edler. But Tanev was not up to it. I say play Tanev with Edler, and the Twins / Burrows in offensive situations where his size is not a problem, but his passing is an asset. Then leave Garrison to let Ballard roam as both our 2knd shut down pair (behind Hamhuis / Bieksa) and 2knd O' pair (behind Tanev / Edler). Then we can truly ice three pairs deep!

(and Garrison still plays the PP with Edler).

Thats what we should do!

Ballard can't play the right side worth a damn, but AV keeps sticking him over there in hopes that he's going to miraculously be able to excel there. Should give him the old Cody treatment and shelter him for half a year (we're going to make the playoffs anyways) so he can actually look half decent and ship him off before the playoffs. That option wasn't in the poll though.

Agreed with Canuck Surfer, I've always wanted to see Tanev play with Edler. I believe at some point they played together for very little. I really think letting Edler and Tanev play with the Sedins would be beneficial, utilize Tanev's great passing abilities with the twins. Ballard is a very good puck-carrier and I agree that he could be paired with Garrison, and that way Ballard can use his speed to gain entry to the offensive end.

Whos fault is this mess of a player we have in front of us ?

Die hard canucks fan here but this is like a story of a kid who had everything going for him, then turned to drugs and lost everything..

Maybe that was a terrible analogy but you get the picture.

He has been on a terrible downswing since joining the organization and I can't seem to figure out why, so thought I would ask the lovely people of CDC..

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=61770

So, What happened ?

- dude can't play right side, so he's stuck on the third pairing.

- he could thrive in a role where they give him sheltered minutes and pp time, but that's not why we brought him here.

- he makes good plays and then all of a sudden a dumb mistake, which means AV won't play him.

- although he's physical, he's small and can't really clear the crease.

- he played better with Tanev who's always in position, but ballard gets caught doing too many things at the wrong time. his blatant mistakes overshadow his good attributes.

that about sums it up.

Most of it had to do with him getting injured. By his own admission, he was not playing as well as others that were put in his place. You can't blame the coach for playing the better player at the time.

Ballard has had time to heal now and should be ready if we have a season this year. The guy is a good player but needs to be healthy to make a major contribution. CDC has a short memory when players are recovering (see Kevin Beiksa, Ryan Kesler etc).

Archived