Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement Players - Support?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support replacement Canucks (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you watch replacement players in Canuck uniforms

1. Yes, at games and on TV (12 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Only on TV (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

3. No, not at all (79 votes [73.15%])

Percentage of vote: 73.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

I for one am not on either players or owners side this lockout. Previously I liked the players position, but this time around I just want to see the jerseys on the ice.

Bring on the replacement players. Let the league test out some rule changes on them. Larger nets, 4 on 4 etc...
I Love Lamp...

#2 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

POPULAR

If they brought in replacement players their is a good chance I'd never watch hockey EVER again

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#3 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I would not watch it.

I watch the NHL to watch the PLAYERS of the NHL.

Edited by Squeak, 03 October 2012 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

#4 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'd give it a shot, definitely.

#5 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

no. bad idea all the way

#6 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sick. this is worse than replacement refs in the NFL

I don't see how you can enjoy this crap.

Although its the jersey that you may cheer for - it's also the players who wear it that bring so much to the game and to us. Their dedication, work, and time into this (yes I know they make mega bucks - but we pay to see this) - also who they are and what they do in the community.

These replacement players is just a way for the NHL to keep putting money in their pockets and having dumb fans follow it.

If you really want the NHL back just wait - don't fall into their stupid pit traps. Go to junior league games instead! (Giants, Heat games)

#7 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

This is the leagues way of dealing with it..if so I'm done with the NHL ! What a joke..greed greed greed an now it's all about politics I hope all the players stay in the khl and other random leagues so if they do do this they lose lose lose money, you greedy fracks

Edited by Templeton Peck, 03 October 2012 - 06:41 PM.
please do not bypass the board censors

Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#8 allons-y

allons-y

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

No way. It's not just the jerseys that I cheer for, it's also the players in them. Having sub-NHL calibre players in NHL jerseys is not what I want to watch. I'd rather watch the AHL or CHL.
Posted Image
I make hockey sigs. Send me a request.

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Why would I want to watch a bunch of NHL and European League rejects?
Especially for what I'm sure would still be the most expensive option around.
I would much rather go to a WHL or AHL game.
Posted Image

#10 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

If you want to watch "replacement" players, why not just go watch the Giants instead of putting players at their level in Canucks jerseys and pretending it's the same?

Teams may change over the years as players come and go, but that doesn't mean that players are simply human plugs filling out a jersey for a short time. I, and I'm sure lots of others, watch the Canucks not because the jersey they wear is awesome (though it is!) but because they are among the best in the world. Ignoring their talent, dedication, and years of training and pretending that they are replaceable with any guy willing to skate in their place doesn't make it true. I'm all for supporting other levels of hockey, especially with the dollars we would have spent on the NHL if there's a long shutout, but support those players for who they are at the level they're at instead of telling them they're only good enough to be "replacements" for the people you'd rather be watching.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#11 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

i for one would love to see this. it would show how good/strong the marketing department not only for the Canucks, but for every NHL organization as well as the leauge is
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#12 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

This idea floats around ever work stoppage. The notion is ridiculous just like the players forming their own league. If the NHL wants to be the best league in the world it needs the best players in the world, if the players want to be regarded as the best they need to play in the NHL. There is no substitution or alternative.
Posted Image

#13 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

This idea floats around ever work stoppage. The notion is ridiculous just like the players forming their own league. If the NHL wants to be the best league in the world it needs the best players in the world, if the players want to be regarded as the best they need to play in the NHL. There is no substitution or alternative.

Agree with the first part of your statement about the NHL needing the best players but I don't agree with the second bit. IF every player in the NHLPA decided to form or join a different league won't that league instantly become the best league in the world? Therefore, the players would still be playing against other world class players and still be regarded as the best. The fans I think would follow the players and not the league, assuming of course that all ellite players leave the league in mass.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#14 Rock_Prawn

Rock_Prawn

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

if its cheaper then a WHL ticket which it wont be

#15 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Replacement players wouldn't do much good for the fans; the quality of hockey would be abysmal. It would be fun, however, if every team held a tryout camp and developed a roster based on a combination of amateur and professional players. Any free agents with prior junior or professional hockey experience should be eligible if this were to occur. For sports fans, it would be a tremendous reality television experience akin to The Contender or The Ultimate Fighter. I assume it would allow the best of these players to audtion for tryouts the following season when the NHL would be operating normally again.

The one issue would be with competition for the Stanley Cup. I'm sure the NHL would not award the Stanley Cup at the end of the postseason; otherwise, for the remainder of eternity, there would be an enormous asterisk next to that year's championship team.

The NHL would need to treat this as a temporary solution. They certainly would not be market this as the return of the highest level of hockey on the planet. Instead, there would have to be incentive for fans to look forward to the next season. It would generate some revenue and provide the NHL with some extra time to negotiate or hold out. A gimmick like this might work.

Edited by WeatherWise, 03 October 2012 - 02:03 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#16 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Agree with the first part of your statement about the NHL needing the best players but I don't agree with the second bit. IF every player in the NHLPA decided to form or join a different league won't that league instantly become the best league in the world? Therefore, the players would still be playing against other world class players and still be regarded as the best. The fans I think would follow the players and not the league, assuming of course that all ellite players leave the league in mass.

You're missing the fact that hundreds of million of dollars has gone into advertising the brand of NHL hockey. NHL and hockey are synonomous with one another. Start up another league even with the best of players and its fate will be the same as the roller hockey league.

Most NHL teams already have contracts with the arena in their cities or even own the arenas so already you can exlude 30 cities in NA from having new startup teams unless they want to be playing at the community rinks.

Next most people are loyal to their teams, not the players. Did Canuck fans instantly become Islander fans when Linden was traded or Panther fans when Bure was or Shark fans when Patrick White.. nm that last one lol. The answer is No and the reason is because they have bought into the team, the NHL franchise not the individual players.

A startup league would cost the players millions out of their own pockets to start. Do you really think the players have the will? Honestly?

No these players are stars because of the NHL, because of the advertising and tv deals and constant promotion etc. the NHL has. The players need the NHL just as much imo.
Posted Image

#17 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Every time I hear "replacement players", I can't help but picture Keanu Reeves.

"Everybody, settle down... I got this"

Posted Image

#18 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

They should just air all the CHL games somehow, I'm sure tons of fans would start watching that. The world juniors is my favorite hockey, the young players play at a way better pace and with more energy.

I can barely watch the NHL the first couple weeks after the world juniors because it seems to go at such a slower pace and I get bored. It would be fun watching the top prospects and stuff and would make the winter A LOT more enjoyable with some hockey to watch.

Edited by TheGame., 03 October 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#19 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Only if those players include the likes of Brandon Reid, Jason King and other players I once adored but have since dropped off the face of the Earth.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#20 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Only if the Canucks can have their regular roster and every other team has replacement players...

We then go 82-0 and cruise to a Stanley Cup going 16-0! :)
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#21 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hell no. Replacement players in a lockout would be a complete sham and an utter disgrace for the league.

#22 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

we should have chara do slapshots with bettman in net. Make it a charity event. I guarantee it will garner millions of dollars in revenue

#23 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,953 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

how much are tickets gonna be??? and season ticket holders gonna be piss if they have to pay full price.. even 1/2 price is too much

#24 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

i would be against replacement players if i had season tickets and paying the premium price for a replacement roster. However i would watch a few on tv. Right now i am watching live University hockey which is almost at the ahl level for $10 for adult and $3 for student (Our university team is one of the best in the country annually).

#25 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

No.

Makes as much sense as....

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 03 October 2012 - 05:29 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#26 Shoot the Puck!!!!

Shoot the Puck!!!!

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

We watch replacement players every year.

There may not be the same quality as the upper end players, but the bottom ones are interchangeable.

I for one am not on either players or owners side this lockout. Previously I liked the players position, but this time around I just want to see the jerseys on the ice.

Bring on the replacement players. Let the league test out some rule changes on them. Larger nets, 4 on 4 etc...

I used to be on the players side, but now I feel it's mostly their fault (for the lockout not up till now).

Afterall it is the owners money, they can do with it what they want.

I'm just confused. Why couldn't this be worked on over the past 7 years. They knew it was coming.

If you have a star player coming to the end of his contract, don't you want to extend it before it expires?

#27 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Patrick White still has a shot!!!!

#28 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

This is just more proof of how poorly current NHL top brass understand how to expand interest in the US. Take struggling US franchises, subject them to a 2nd lost season, and then actually propose to put a vastly inferior product on the ice?

How can the owners possibly continue to support Bettman? He is killing the franchises that MIGHT of finally had a fighting chance they might build a fan base after the last lost season by threatening to wipe out another season (kiss that season ticket holder base you've struggled to build goodbye) and then turn it into charging admission to watch the practice squad.

If the NHL Players association is paying any attention, the NHL is all but offering them the chance to desert the League and start up one of their own. And given this bs, I think that's exactly the ball they should play. Tell the owners that either they fire Bettman and get down to the business of settling this thing, or kiss their league goodbye.

Edited by Day one, 03 October 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#29 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

There is zero % chance of this ever happening There are labour rules in place that have way to many restrictions to allow this to happen. For instance. No american's could play on canadian team and canadian on american teams. Europeans wouldn't be allowed to play in north america. There's also a bunch of issues with players crossing the board. It would take months since the NHLPA would oppose to this and take it to court. So basically you'd get a hand full of canadian teams with only canadian born players. And this isn't to mention the majority of the sponsorships wouldn't be necessarily picked up do to the lack of teams and quality.

#30 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Bring the ahl players :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.