The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Replacement Players - Support?

Brick Tamland

Would you support replacement Canucks  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i would be against replacement players if i had season tickets and paying the premium price for a replacement roster. However i would watch a few on tv. Right now i am watching live University hockey which is almost at the ahl level for $10 for adult and $3 for student (Our university team is one of the best in the country annually).

We watch replacement players every year.

There may not be the same quality as the upper end players, but the bottom ones are interchangeable.

I for one am not on either players or owners side this lockout. Previously I liked the players position, but this time around I just want to see the jerseys on the ice.

Bring on the replacement players. Let the league test out some rule changes on them. Larger nets, 4 on 4 etc...

This is just more proof of how poorly current NHL top brass understand how to expand interest in the US. Take struggling US franchises, subject them to a 2nd lost season, and then actually propose to put a vastly inferior product on the ice?

How can the owners possibly continue to support Bettman? He is killing the franchises that MIGHT of finally had a fighting chance they might build a fan base after the last lost season by threatening to wipe out another season (kiss that season ticket holder base you've struggled to build goodbye) and then turn it into charging admission to watch the practice squad.

If the NHL Players association is paying any attention, the NHL is all but offering them the chance to desert the League and start up one of their own. And given this bs, I think that's exactly the ball they should play. Tell the owners that either they fire Bettman and get down to the business of settling this thing, or kiss their league goodbye.

There is zero % chance of this ever happening There are labour rules in place that have way to many restrictions to allow this to happen. For instance. No american's could play on canadian team and canadian on american teams. Europeans wouldn't be allowed to play in north america. There's also a bunch of issues with players crossing the board. It would take months since the NHLPA would oppose to this and take it to court. So basically you'd get a hand full of canadian teams with only canadian born players. And this isn't to mention the majority of the sponsorships wouldn't be necessarily picked up do to the lack of teams and quality.

I wouldn't mind having a smaller Leauge consisting of only Canadian cities. Basically A hockey version of the CFL. But instead of 1 game per week, maybe 2 games a week, we will have the current 7 Canadian NHL cities, in addition Quebec City, Maybe Regina and Hamilton and have a 10 team Canadian hockey leauge, consistent of maybe NHL players who are locked on in addition, maybe some AHL players, or other players that want to participate. I wouldn't mind that. Do a 32 game season, and so for.

You're missing the fact that hundreds of million of dollars has gone into advertising the brand of NHL hockey. NHL and hockey are synonomous with one another. Start up another league even with the best of players and its fate will be the same as the roller hockey league.

Most NHL teams already have contracts with the arena in their cities or even own the arenas so already you can exlude 30 cities in NA from having new startup teams unless they want to be playing at the community rinks.

Next most people are loyal to their teams, not the players. Did Canuck fans instantly become Islander fans when Linden was traded or Panther fans when Bure was or Shark fans when Patrick White.. nm that last one lol. The answer is No and the reason is because they have bought into the team, the NHL franchise not the individual players.

A startup league would cost the players millions out of their own pockets to start. Do you really think the players have the will? Honestly?

No these players are stars because of the NHL, because of the advertising and tv deals and constant promotion etc. the NHL has. The players need the NHL just as much imo.

There is zero % chance of this ever happening There are labour rules in place that have way to many restrictions to allow this to happen. For instance. No american's could play on canadian team and canadian on american teams. Europeans wouldn't be allowed to play in north america. There's also a bunch of issues with players crossing the board. It would take months since the NHLPA would oppose to this and take it to court. So basically you'd get a hand full of canadian teams with only canadian born players. And this isn't to mention the majority of the sponsorships wouldn't be necessarily picked up do to the lack of teams and quality.

I'd watch it. I miss NHL hockey, even if the players were a slight step behind the existing players, I'd still find it interesting I'm sure. Of course, I watched this hockey club grow into the elite team it is over the last several years so I doubt I'd ever be as emotionally invested watching said replacement players. It'd be better than watching no hockey, but it wouldn't compare to cheering on the guys I've supported for years.

If everybody wants to watch hockey, why worry about replacement players. Just go watch the AHL on computer. You have to option to pay per game, or buy 5 or 10 game packages or pay for the whole season. And you get to watch some of the current players of your team.

Archived