Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement Players - Support?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support replacement Canucks (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you watch replacement players in Canuck uniforms

1. Yes, at games and on TV (12 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Only on TV (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

3. No, not at all (79 votes [73.15%])

Percentage of vote: 73.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

I wouldn't mind having a smaller Leauge consisting of only Canadian cities. Basically A hockey version of the CFL. But instead of 1 game per week, maybe 2 games a week, we will have the current 7 Canadian NHL cities, in addition Quebec City, Maybe Regina and Hamilton and have a 10 team Canadian hockey leauge, consistent of maybe NHL players who are locked on in addition, maybe some AHL players, or other players that want to participate. I wouldn't mind that. Do a 32 game season, and so for.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#32 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,143 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

No, not at all.

307mg00.jpg

#33 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

You're missing the fact that hundreds of million of dollars has gone into advertising the brand of NHL hockey. NHL and hockey are synonomous with one another. Start up another league even with the best of players and its fate will be the same as the roller hockey league.

Most NHL teams already have contracts with the arena in their cities or even own the arenas so already you can exlude 30 cities in NA from having new startup teams unless they want to be playing at the community rinks.

Next most people are loyal to their teams, not the players. Did Canuck fans instantly become Islander fans when Linden was traded or Panther fans when Bure was or Shark fans when Patrick White.. nm that last one lol. The answer is No and the reason is because they have bought into the team, the NHL franchise not the individual players.

A startup league would cost the players millions out of their own pockets to start. Do you really think the players have the will? Honestly?

No these players are stars because of the NHL, because of the advertising and tv deals and constant promotion etc. the NHL has. The players need the NHL just as much imo.

Don't be stupid. It's not the players it's the league wanting to start up a amattuer league,... The players will play for zero out of their pocket, free at arena they want to play in...
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#34 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

Be an absolute bugger if the team said I had to pay to watch replacement players, or relinquish season tickets after the waiting list to get them in the first place!

Short answer; no!

#35 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

There is zero % chance of this ever happening There are labour rules in place that have way to many restrictions to allow this to happen. For instance. No american's could play on canadian team and canadian on american teams. Europeans wouldn't be allowed to play in north america. There's also a bunch of issues with players crossing the board. It would take months since the NHLPA would oppose to this and take it to court. So basically you'd get a hand full of canadian teams with only canadian born players. And this isn't to mention the majority of the sponsorships wouldn't be necessarily picked up do to the lack of teams and quality.

So you are saying that hockey would be like is was in the 80's. Wide open, lots of offense and good old Canadian boys playing

#36 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

A canadian league would be great and high calibre unlike the CFL but it will never happen.

I would watch just to see ... it's like a car accident. You have to look.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#37 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I say no, but only for the sake of the games integrity.
As a supporter of the owners, I firmly believe the players could use a perverbial slap in the face, but this isn't the way to do it.

#38 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

I say no, but only for the sake of the games integrity.
As a supporter of the owners, I firmly believe the players could use a perverbial slap in the face, but this isn't the way to do it.

I respect your opinion Komodo, But I have to disagree on this one. I supported the owners in the last lockout. The Owners and Bettmen put in a Salary cap with Bettmen quoting " This will solve the problems in the future" .They started the cap at 39 million. They lower the ufa from players being 31 years of age to 25 or 7 years of service. Well what happened? Now they want to lower the cap again and wanting to raise the ufa to 10 years now after they lowered it the last time. So what was the point in that? Bettmen and his cronies didn't do a very good job thinking this through now did they!! We still have the same owners crying poor but yet before the last contract ended on Sept 15 we had Owners scrambling around signing these players to 6- and 10 year contracts. Hey even after the last lockout we heard Gary even stated that he didn't see a problem a player making 11 million a year. This is the same man stating he only wants players sign to a max of 5 years? So if GARY is representing the Owners then why are the Owners have their own agenda? Thats abit of a contradiction.
As long as you have mismanagement running your business like Gary and his Cronies there will always be the same problems and lockouts in the future. Ask yourself this Komodo! Why are the Owners complaning about the same problems now as they did in the last lockout? As for replacing players Well the NFL tried it with no little or no success .

Edited by canacks1970, 05 October 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#39 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I cheer for our team not our jerseys. wouldn't be the same with out Ham Juice the twins Honey badger and yes even white tail. I would never cheer for replacement players that would be worse than watching old flames games.

Edited by honey badger36, 05 October 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#40 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

I'd watch it. I miss NHL hockey, even if the players were a slight step behind the existing players, I'd still find it interesting I'm sure. Of course, I watched this hockey club grow into the elite team it is over the last several years so I doubt I'd ever be as emotionally invested watching said replacement players. It'd be better than watching no hockey, but it wouldn't compare to cheering on the guys I've supported for years.

#41 Cimmanon

Cimmanon

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

If everybody wants to watch hockey, why worry about replacement players. Just go watch the AHL on computer. You have to option to pay per game, or buy 5 or 10 game packages or pay for the whole season. And you get to watch some of the current players of your team.

#42 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

I watch the NHL because I want to watch the best players in the world, not so I can see a bunch of dusters skating around in NHL jerseys. I will just stick to watching AHL and CHL games when I can.

#43 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

If you bought tickets to see Pink Floyd and Immigration/Customs wouldn't let them in the country, would you go see a cover band instead?
I sure as hell wouldn't bother. I'd go see a different, original band not pretending to be Pink Floyd.

There are other leagues - AHL, WHL, SEL, KHL, whatever.... they'll have to do for now.

If the NHL were to resort to replacement players, they'd make a mockery of themselves.

Edited by oldnews, 07 October 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#44 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

LOL if i wanted to see an inferior but more exciting product id watch the Giants but i don't.. I want to see the best players in the world end of story.

#45 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

The players are replaced regardless of how we do it so of course I would watch replacement players. It would look weak at first but after a while it would be business as usual and soon the draft would simply replace them all just like the draft already does.

So , give the NHLPA until Jan to sign a reasonable CBA or fire them all and invite new players to start a new union and play in the NHL.

Problem solved.
Posted Image

#46 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I love some of the replies here.

I want the best or.............or .........WHAT ?

Watch nothing?

They think, If enough of us demand to see the best players right now the owners will have to CAVE IN .

Did you not notice the owners NOT caving in for a full year last time? They will not even wait this time. They will FIRE them all and hire new players.

If you dont like it, give up your season tickets to the people who have been waiting 20 years to get theirs. Im sure they will be more than happy to replace you in line.

Its only 5 years before the amateur draft replaces most of the stars we have now , even if NONE of the NHLPA players jump ship and come back to work under the new union.

The NHLPA has no leverage this time. The owners are going to FIRE them . Trust me, a whole pile of players from russia and the swedish leagues and others will be JUMPING up and down to replace the NHLPA players until the draft replaces them all.
Posted Image

#47 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

I would start watching the KHL

#48 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

No.

Makes as much sense as....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6o1GIEsQE

Blackmailing the Batman, LOL

Oh God, that was the stupidest thing i've ever seen in a movie.

Just kidding, every Nicholas Cage and Twilight movie is the stupidest things ive ever seen on the big screen.

Posted Image

#49 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

no i wont watch. ill be watching the blazers tho

#50 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'd give it a shot, definitely.

Agreed. The players make alot of money plus revenue sharing in which they get more money than the owners. The owners are the ones who are taking all the risk. Therefore I will watch replacement players. Once the players see the owners moving on they will more willing to negotiate.
Posted Image

#51 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'd be on board if they all had to be local players. at least they wouldn't be a bunch of mercenary amateur hacks, and it could be fun to compare regions. obviously, the south would not fare well.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#52 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Essentially a beer league?
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.