The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Newer Newer Official WWE/TNA thread.

marleau_12

1 minute ago, Chris said:

My bad; I misunderstood and thought you were referring to the show's actual content and not the awesome new set they came out with.

I just have this gut feeling they want to recreate another WCW vs WWF feud, but with a RAW vs SMACKDOWN feud. I like how it's just all walls around looks better, reminds me of the old days!

• Upvote 1

Wow. Vince must be hella pissed at Roman.Thankfully that means the rest of us can enjoy watching Raw. 

<3 Sasha. She'd be perfect if she moved...

Edited by Guest

that was probably the best raw of the year. i actually started getting a little emotional when sasha won. that crowd was quiet early in the match but then they really started to buy in to it the longer it went. i popped hard for the eddie tribute with the belt. the build up during the match was increditble. i was scared for her when she did the suicide dive and landed crash landed like lita did years ago

surprised that they're going all in on balor, and i'm not complaining. the crowd didn't really get his entrance, but they will the more he's out there

• Upvote 1

I was totally ready to take the good with the terrible, as is WWE standard, but that was just a good show. Easily the best Raw of the year. Not a question for me.

Love that they actually changed the set up of the stage. Love that they finally changed that awful theme. Love that Sasha finally got her title. Love that Finn is going for the title. Love that Roman took a step away from the title picture for the first time in around 9 months (even if it's obviously not permanent).

This is what I expected to see out a rebooted Smackdown, but with the way the draft went, Raw had so much more going for it as they went into this first episode. And they nailed the whole "about the wrestlers" and "giving people who deserve it a chance to shine" that they turned into their talking point (as it was originally Smackdown's going into the draft.) They delivered on it, at least for this Raw, and the entire set up to Summerslam that comes with it.

And Battleground had the match of the year, possibly, with Zayn and Owens. Then there was Bailey. And the result to some matches was at least largely acceptable, if not outright good, even if most of the wrestling was not up to snuff (the 6 man tag with Cena was pretty particularly bad.) I would still chalk it up as an overall positive night.

So in my mind they're 2/2 for 2 in two nights. I do wonder if they'll go 3/3

Edited by g_bassi13

On a separate note, Roman has also now lost clean 3 times in the last month. 3/4 last matches he's simply taken the pin because his opponent was superior to him (there was the one countout draw on the Raw before he was suspended.) In those 3 matches, it was 3 different people that went over him. Once, he specifically ate the pin to keep someone else looking stronger (the triple threat at Battleground).

This was after he spent his entire WWE career without once losing cleanly once. Not the single one, over many years.

It's a pretty strong punishment. And even if the punishment is ultimately just building to another angle they're going to use to get him over again shortly, it's pretty cathartic to watch him lose. Hasn't lost any of its charm yet, lol.

After Raw and Smackdown this week, you can tell either they have gone a entirely different direction, or someone else is deciding how things happen. Adding Corey Graves(Thank you, can't stand how they don't introduce the referee or hype up the match and are constantly making jokes), few more NXT call ups, making Reigns lose twice in a row clean, having the women's division get more air time and actually treating it serious, and eliminating the backstage corny, big waste of time segments. 

No "chance in hell" McMahon would put Ziggler and Balor in the main event matches at such a major PPV all of a sudden.

Looks like the RAW writers mirgrated over to Smackdown, while the NXT writers went to RAW.

Dolph Ziggler hasn't been relevant since 2012, terrible choice for a number one contender. No only that he pinned Styles with a Super Kick, which hasn't even won him a match, since he started using it. Props to Styles for selling it, though.

Smackdown was pretty meh, especially in comparison to that Raw. Seems like they didn't have the resources to pull out all they could for a big bang on their first day, so they didn't really try. That said, it wasn't a bad show or anything.

Felt like it was kind of spinning its tires for a bit. Though at the very least it didn't feel like a Raw episode a week or two ago did.

That ending was what really made it worth it. Just from outta left field, and for a guy who deserves the chance.

Smackdown is more going to have to be concerned about how to build on things, when Raw is going to have to be more worried about how to carry the positive momentum it has. The second scenario is a preferable one.

On 7/25/2016 at 8:09 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well that's the start of my WWF vs WCW proposal. Raw started out and reminded me what WCW used to look like...... 

Should have gone this route years ago when WCW was still alive.  Back when Shane apparently owned it, but Vince's ego had to bury it.  Same with ECW.

I doubt it will happen, but they really truly need to separate the brands.  Perhaps that's the plan, haven't really paid attention.  What I mean is have them at opposite sides of the Country per say. 2 totally different sets instead of the one where all they have to do is change it's colors. Every once in a while have them show up in the same town to fight it out at the PPV's or something. 

Sure it will cost WWE more , but in the end it will be a better product.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Looks like the RAW writers mirgrated over to Smackdown, while the NXT writers went to RAW.

Dolph Ziggler hasn't been relevant since 2012, terrible choice for a number one contender. No only that he pinned Styles with a Super Kick, which hasn't even won him a match, since he started using it. Props to Styles for selling it, though.

You're right. The main issue was that it wasn't different enough from Raw fundamentally. I think the writing and the pace was too similar.

The more I think about it, I think the thing that made it not feel like Raw was just the newness of it. Just the fact that they had to set up a bunch of things to solidify an identity. A few more like this, and it will feel more and more like a successor to Raw.

I think the issue with that identity is that what was said, and what was shown, were not the same.

Again, I don't think it was a particularly bad show, just an underwhelming one for a brand that needed to land on its feet running far more than its counterpart in Raw. And its comparatively underwhelming roster definitely looked comparatively underwhelming.

23 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

You're right. The main issue was that it wasn't different enough from Raw fundamentally. I think the writing and the pace was too similar.

The more I think about it, I think the thing that made it not feel like Raw was just the newness of it. Just the fact that they had to set up a bunch of things to solidify an identity. A few more like this, and it will feel more and more like a successor to Raw.

I think the issue with that identity is that what was said, and what was shown, were not the same.

Again, I don't think it was a particularly bad show, just an underwhelming one for a brand that needed to land on its feet running far more than its counterpart in Raw. And its comparatively underwhelming roster definitely looked comparatively underwhelming.

I guess they have to work with what they got. But I just don't see Ziggler as a main event talent, especially when he hasn't won a feud in like a year. The most logic choice to win that 6 pack challenge was Bray Wyatt (God knows why he hasn't been pushed into the main event scene), but if they wanted to throw us a curveball they could have picked Baron Corbin, who I think has the potential to be a monster heel and his ring work has improve drastically, since his early NXT days. 

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I guess they have to work with what they got. But I just don't see Ziggler as a main event talent, especially when he hasn't won a feud in like a year. The most logic choice to win that 6 pack challenge was Bray Wyatt (God knows why he hasn't been pushed into the main event scene), but if they wanted to throw us a curveball they could have picked Baron Corbin, who I think has the potential to be a monster heel and his ring work has improve drastically, since his early NXT days. 

I think they want to give Ambrose a fairly lengthy run, so Ziggler got picked to lose to him at SummerSlam and possibly whatever PPV is after that.

Doesn't make sense to build Bray up for a world title shot right now and have him lose yet another big match. I'm just hoping they pull the trigger on him at some point, though.

Ziggler and Ambrose is...Interesting. I don't really know how WWE is going to make it feel like a big fight come SS. Ziggler just spent a couple months getting killed by Corbin. 

Overall, Raw was way better. Although that's a little unfair seeing that they have way more star power.