The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Newer Newer Official WWE/TNA thread.

marleau_12

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i loved how it took the fans to assess what was actually going on lol

i wonder if AJ's hurt cause that kinda came out of nowhere. title change on SD and match change

Nah, creative team probably ran out of ****ed up finishes in AJ’s matches. 

As much as I wanted AJ to break Punk’s record. He needed to drop the title asap. He had a decent run with it, but with all those wonky finishes, and never main eventing a PPV with it.  They made his title run like it was nothing special. 

Plus, they probably didn’t want AJ to job to Lesnar twice. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/more-sports/tom-billington-former-stampede-wrestling-superstar-dies/ar-BBQxB2x?ocid=spartandhp

"

Former pro wrestler Tom Billington — known to fans as the Dynamite Kid, and a fixture of Canada's Stampede Wrestling — died Wednesday in England, on his 60th birthday.

He was best known as one-half of the British Bullldogs tag team, along with his real-life cousin Davey Boy Smith, and their mascot, a bulldog named Matilda.

Smith's son Harry, who now wrestles under the name Davey Boy Smith Jr., called Billington an inspiration.

"I was really happy and glad I got to see Dynamite one last time last June in the U.K.," he tweeted. "Dynamite was certainly an inspiration to myself and many others.…"

News of Billington's death was shared on social media, with current and former stars offering condolences.

"Every wrestler under 200lbs likely owes a debt of gratitude to The Dynamite Kid," tweeted Lance Storm.

"He inspired so many and help change the sport. In the ring he was incredible. The only wrestling T-shirt I ever purchased was a British Bulldogs shirt, which I wore to WrestleMania IV. #RIP."

Born in England, Billington made his pro wrestling debut there in 1975.

Standing five foot eight and eventually weighing 228 pounds, Billington was considered somewhat small for a pro wrestler but utilized a high-flying and technical style that delighted fans.

He arrived in Calgary in 1978 to join Stampede Wrestling, run by the legendary Hart family.

From there he spent time working in Japan before joining the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) — known today as World Wrestling Entertainment, or WWE — when the company bought out Stampede Wrestling in 1984.

Billington held the tag-team championship belt twice in Stampede Wrestling and once in the WWF.

He retired from pro wrestling in 1996.

Years of wrestling took their toll on Billington as he suffered numerous serious injuries, mainly to his back, and lost the use of his left leg about a year after he retired. He was eventually confined to a wheelchair and needed care. 

He also reportedly suffered a stroke in 2013.

The cause of Billington's death was not made public."

Used to watch this guy and that era of wrestling.

condolences to his family and friends.

And another wrestler leaves this existence:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/more-sports/larry-‘the-axe’-hennig-has-died/ar-BBQBnem?ocid=spartandhp

"

At the age of 82, pro wrestling legend Larry ‘The Axe’ Hennig has died.

Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on Jun. 18, 1936, Hennig was best known for his run with the American Wrestling Association. The Verne Gagne led territory was part of the National Wrestling Alliance, with Hennig capturing the AWA world tag team championship on four separate occasions.

Alongside his partner Duke Hoffman, The Axe went on to win the famed AWA world tag championship tournament in 1962, defeating three teams in one night to win the bracket.

To many fans Hennig is remembered as the father of WWF/WWE legend Curt “Mr. Perfect” Hennig. In the spring of 1982, Larry and Curt won the NWA Pacific Northwest Tag Team titles as a father and son team.

The Axe is also the grandfather of current WWE wrestler Curtis Axel.

The late Hennig was last seen on WWE television when he accompanied his grandson out to the ring during a tag team match at the 2014 Elimination Chamber pay-per-view.

In 2012, WWE.com named The Hennig family of The Axe, Mr. Perfect and Curtis as the 10th greatest family in WWE history."

Glad to see this fellow lasted a long time after retirement. 

Condolences to his family.

Due to recent contractual arrangements, Bandido and PCO will not be appearing at E11EVEN. While we are very disappointed, we wish them both the best.

That said, DARBY ALLIN (EVOLVE/PWG) and REY HORUS (Lucha Underground/PWG) will now be appearing at E11EVEN!!!

Boooo!!!!

Was really looking forward to seeing PCO. Oh well, nice to hear he signed with ROH though.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 8:24 PM, Grapefruits said:

Due to recent contractual arrangements, Bandido and PCO will not be appearing at E11EVEN. While we are very disappointed, we wish them both the best.

That said, DARBY ALLIN (EVOLVE/PWG) and REY HORUS (Lucha Underground/PWG) will now be appearing at E11EVEN!!!

Boooo!!!!

Was really looking forward to seeing PCO. Oh well, nice to hear he signed with ROH though.

Agreed. Happy that Bandito got a new contract. Sad that I won't get to see him in person again until ROH comes around.

Bandido in Best of Super Juniors, though...

Not a good way to start the New Year!:(

WWE legend Okerlund dead at 76

https://www.tsn.ca/wwe-legend-okerlund-dead-at-76-1.1234735

Longtime pro wrestling personality "Mean" Gene Okerlund has died, World Wrestling Entertainment announced on Wednesday.

The native of Sisseton, SD was 76.

Starting his career as a radio DJ in Omaha, NE, Okerlund moved to Minneapolis in 1970 and joined Verne Gagne's American Wrestling Association where he served as a ring announcer and backstage interviewer.

In 1984, he jumped to the World Wrestling Federation where he achieved international fame as their lead presenter and backstage interviewer. Always deadpan, Okerlund developed chemistry with a number of foils, including Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

After nearly a decade with the WWF, Okerlund joined Ted Turner's World Championship Wrestling in 1993 where he served in a similar capacity. In 2000, upon the arrival of new head writer Vince Russo, Okerlund was given a lecherous old man gimmick. Where he was previously an impartial personality, Okerlund began lusting over WCW's female talent.

Okerlund returned to the WWE in 2002 and made sporadic appearances for the company over the last two decades. He also served as host for a number of anthology programs on the WWE Network. His last televised appearance for the company came on the 25th anniversary of Monday Night RAW on January 22, 2018 when he interview AJ Styles.

Okerlund was interviewed for HBO's Andre the Giant documentary that aired last spring.

Tributes from the wrestling world have poured in on social media.

"A voice and sountrack to entire era of our industry," wrote WWE executive VP Paul "Triple H" Levesque. "He was the star of some of WWE's most memorable segments. 'Mean Gene' was beloved by all who got to work with him. Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time." 

"The voice of my youth," wrote SmackDown star Mustafa Ali. "Condolences to his friends and family."

"This one stings," wrote SCU member Frankie Kazarian. "RIP 'Mean' Gene Okerlund. As a young fan, he was the only backstage interviewer that mattered. He is the man with the golden voice who is SO synonymous with the culture of pro wrestling. I'm fortunate to have met and shared a beverage with him. Godspeed, sir."

Okerlund is survived by his wife, Jeanne, and two adult sons.

His son, Todd, was a member of the United States hockey team at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary. He went on to play four games with the New York Islanders later that year.

RIP Mean Gene!:(

• Upvote 1