The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suit people, get in hurrr!

:D

Alright, so I got a job today. Pretty good gig, I am going to be measured this week and have suits provided to me, but I needed to buy a suit to wear in the meantime while working (1-2 weeks then it goes back into the closet).

So after going down to the shop with the idea of spending $300-$400 on a suit, I get measured and find that because I am shaped like a funnel and have wide shoulders (48 coat, 38 waist) that I can't buy regular suits. The 48 comes with 44 inch pants and the six inch difference is too much to make up in altering.

I was given the option of buying "suit separates". I would have to pay full price for a coat (the price as an entire suit for some reason) $360+, plus the cost of associated pants $160-$180... bringing a $350 suit up to ~$540.

This is madness!

Are there places that aren't bitches about it and charge full suit price for a coat and then stick the fist right back up with the cost of a separate pair of pants?

What are my options beside avoiding the gym and getting smaller?

Also, alteration isn't really an option because I need to be wearing this suit by Friday.

Last time I went to Moores, I got to pick from Jackets and Pants, so you aren't locked into a certain suit. I am 5'11 but I'm really skinny. I haven't been there in a year though, so I don't know if it's changed. I can't quite remember the price, but I think it was ~$400.

Last time I went to Moores, I got to pick from Jackets and Pants, so you aren't locked into a certain suit. I am 5'11 but I'm really skinny. I haven't been there in a year though, so I don't know if it's changed. I can't quite remember the price, but I think it was ~$400.

If you do buy separate be careful. A blazer and suit jacket are not the same thing. The Blazer will have a more casual cut.

If you're looking for something disposable until you're real suit arrives, I'd try a place like H & M or Banana Republic. They both sell jackets and pants separately. They'll look good for a couple of months, and then the lower quality will be exposed.

Ah yeah. Its always been a problem. Anything wide enough in the shoulders assumes you have a massive gut to match so We always have to screw around to get something that fits well.

Ive found The Mens Warehouse to be good for mixing and matching to get the right size fit for me. Theres one at Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham so you can also get that strong Canadian exchange rate working for you.

Archived