The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hodson captain of Rochester Americans

Big Time

When he was drafted, the GM shoved down our throats that he was a man of the highest character imaginable.

So, either Mike Gillis didn't know who he was drafting, when he drafted him, or he was just bitter about the trade after seeing how it turned out. Pick your poison.

Or his agent and his father are the issue, as has been widely speculated. Try considering all the possibilities for once, King.

He's still a kid, but if his father is pushing his career that might be the one person that sways him into making decisions he otherwise wouldn't. Having changed agents a number of times before settling on Winters, that further points to a controlling interest in his career. Considering the reports from many people (not just Gillis' word) about Cody's character, it would make sense he has a little help in decision making off the ice.

I guess the other side to that perceived "flaw" is that this kid is so hell-bent on becoming the best that he can be that he's not willing to sacrifice for anything less than the agent that can do the most to help him succeed, and the environment that believes in him the most and from which he can thrive. There's no doubt that Vancouver was not the idea situation for him, which I had been saying for months, and which nobody else would concede until he was actually traded.

I was not happy when we took Cody in '08; full disclosure, I wanted the Canucks to either select Beach or Myers. But the more that I see/hear of Cody, the higher that I become on him. From what I see, he's one of those guys with such an insanely high level of motivation, that he's bound to end up as an NHL All-Star some day, and probably many times over. The more I think of the trade for Zack Kassian, the more it bothers me. I think that'll be how it plays out for Canuck fans, unfortunately.

I guess the other side to that perceived "flaw" is that this kid is so hell-bent on becoming the best that he can be that he's not willing to sacrifice for anything less than the agent that can do the most to help him succeed, and the environment that believes in him the most and from which he can thrive. There's no doubt that Vancouver was not the idea situation for him, which I had been saying for months, and which nobody else would concede until he was actually traded.

I was not happy when we took Cody in '08; full disclosure, I wanted the Canucks to either select Beach or Myers. But the more that I see/hear of Cody, the higher that I become on him. From what I see, he's one of those guys with such an insanely high level of motivation, that he's bound to end up as an NHL All-Star some day, and probably many times over. The more I think of the trade for Zack Kassian, the more it bothers me. I think that'll be how it plays out for Canuck fans, unfortunately.

I don't see the point in this... Unless Cody is staying in the AHL all year. I know that the Lockout out could be the entire year, but if it ends, isn't this move a little ridiculous? I understand that he should have ice time so going to the AHL isn't a bad thing.. but to name him captain? Interesting move.

I don't see the point in this... Unless Cody is staying in the AHL all year. I know that the Lockout out could be the entire year, but if it ends, isn't this move a little ridiculous? I understand that he should have ice time so going to the AHL isn't a bad thing.. but to name him captain? Interesting move.

Archived