The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bieksa making a case for captaincy?

zombieksa

I know that Hank is our current captain and behind him most people believe Kesler is the next best choice but lets look at Kevin as the next leader of the team.

Kevin most likely has a fair few seasons left in him, even if he is pushed to a bottom 4 role he will most likely still be around when the twins retire.

- He is probably the best Canuck at handling press, and even during the lockout is constantly on radio stations doing interviews

- Had to deal with several seasons of terrible scrutiny, dealt with it maturely.

- Started mindcheck

- remains charitable even during the lockout

- is already a leader as an away alternate captain

-Is a fan favourite, a family man, and exudes the qualities of a true Canuck.

So, what do you think, should Kevin be the next captain of thhe Vancouver Canucks even if for onky 2-4 seasons?

Bieksa would be a great captain. I'd be very supportive of his ascendancy to that role if it was relinquished by Hank.

He's respected by the players in the locker-room, the coaching staff and management, and the more intelligent of our fan-base. He's a natural leader out on the ice and has had enough experience as an alternate. He's a fixture in Vancouver whose spent his entire career here and most likely will retire as a Canuck. He's an established leader on defence. He doesn't yap unnecessarily. He stands up for his teammates and himself. He doesn't recklessly fight. He's been an effective point producing player as well, which shows that he gets the job done on the ice. He a media darling to say the least. He doesn't seem to lose his cool even in high pressure situations on and off the ice. He seems to naturally want to help younger players. Solid role model for the kiddies. Good head on his shoulders and very intelligent.

I could go on, but these are the main reasons that if the captaincy were ever vacant, then Bieksa would fill the role nicely.

If he's captain, it'd only be if both Sedins were leaving before him for whatever reason. But I can get behind a Juice for Captain campaign if that ever happens. On a team criticized for lack of toughness and pack mentality, Bieksa's an absolute warrior who'll do anything for his teammates.

Kesler was my next-in-line but he'll have to cut the antics and get back to his heart-and-soul game to get my vote back.

Bieksa would be a great captain. I'd be very supportive of his ascendancy to that role if it was relinquished by Hank.

He's respected by the players in the locker-room, the coaching staff and management, and the more intelligent of our fan-base. He's a natural leader out on the ice and has had enough experience as an alternate. He's a fixture in Vancouver whose spent his entire career here and most likely will retire as a Canuck. He's an established leader on defence. He doesn't yap unnecessarily. He stands up for his teammates and himself. He doesn't recklessly fight. He's been an effective point producing player as well, which shows that he gets the job done on the ice. He a media darling to say the least. He doesn't seem to lose his cool even in high pressure situations on and off the ice. He seems to naturally want to help younger players. Solid role model for the kiddies. Good head on his shoulders and very intelligent.

I could go on, but these are the main reasons that if the captaincy were ever vacant, then Bieksa would fill the role nicely.

Thank y ou Sharp for reiterating what I was saying. I also understand the aspiration of a young pla yer becoming captain, bt I think in the interum of Hank retiring, and the emergence of a true leader from the prospect pool, Kevin is the most obvious choice, I doubt he would say no to a 2 or 3 year leadership role. He loves this city, and its fans.

Bieksa over Kesler any day of the week. You don't want a guy with such ridiculous diving antics being your captain, because you dont want your young players thinking its ok. Bieksa seems to be held in high regard inside the dressing room, he is a team first guy, and just a general beauty all around. That being said, if something crazy happened, and we lost Henrik to injury or something, Daniel Sedin is my next choice for captain, with Bieksa sitting in 3rd. Malhotra would be right up there if not for his decline following the injury.

My rankings:

1.Henrik Sedin

2.Daniel Sedin

3.Kevin Bieksa

4.Alex Burrows

5.Dan Hamhuis

Archived